The good:
Chilled out, laid back atmosphere
A good group of ppl, outgoing
Top at some sports

The bad:
Bloody expensive - 2nd most to Pembroke last yr
Far out from centre - but you might like that
Low in Norrington table (academic)
Jools, Do potential employers look at the college you went to. Will the fact that I went to Somerville go slightly against me as compared to other Oxbridge candidates.
Brown Patrick Bateman
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Ensocopier)
Jools, Do potential employers look at the college you went to. Will the fact that I went to Somerville go slightly against me as compared to other Oxbridge candidates.
Not really. PPE at Balliol or Merton maybe more respected than PPE at Somerville or Pembroke but at the end of the day it's the same uni and unlikely to hinder your employment opportunities.
pkonline
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
My sister goes to Somerville and she's really enjoying it. It's pretty laid back, chilled out and fun. They also learn a bit too lol .
Veedy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Margaret Thatcher went there if that is of any relevance?
Ensocopier
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(Original post by pkonline)
My sister goes to Somerville and she's really enjoying it. It's pretty laid back, chilled out and fun. They also learn a bit too lol .
What subject does she do?
dreamer
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Somerville is great. I am not an Oxford student and didn't apply to the uni, but I have some friends there who love it. It seems very laid back, very friendly, good student-tutor relations.

Highly unlikely college will affect your emplyment prospects. Most of the country aren't Oxford graduates, they won't give a stuff. In any case, you're not going to change college now or reapply for that reason anyway, are you??
tagzt
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Ensocopier)
there is no getting away from the fact that certain colleges have more "prestige" than others but at the end of the day, getting a job comes down to you. having an oxford degree from any college gives you a great advantage, then its down to you to perform in interviews. someone from a "pretigious" college who performs poorly in an interview (remember in a job interview they are now looking for more than just your academic ability) is not going to get the job before someone from a different college who really impressed.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Had lockdown impacted your relationships?

Yes, my partner and I are struggling (30)
7.77%
Yes, my partner and I broke up (33)
8.55%
Yes, it's hard being around my family so much (86)
22.28%
Yes, I'm feeling lonely isolating alone (50)
12.95%
No, nothing has changed (117)
30.31%
No, it's helped improve my relationships (70)
18.13%

Watched Threads