The good:
    Chilled out, laid back atmosphere
    A good group of ppl, outgoing
    Top at some sports

The bad:
    Bloody expensive - 2nd most to Pembroke last yr
    Far out from centre - but you might like that
    Low in Norrington table (academic)
    Jools, Do potential employers look at the college you went to. Will the fact that I went to Somerville go slightly against me as compared to other Oxbridge candidates.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ensocopier)
    Jools, Do potential employers look at the college you went to. Will the fact that I went to Somerville go slightly against me as compared to other Oxbridge candidates.
    Not really. PPE at Balliol or Merton maybe more respected than PPE at Somerville or Pembroke but at the end of the day it's the same uni and unlikely to hinder your employment opportunities.

ReputationRep:
    My sister goes to Somerville and she's really enjoying it. It's pretty laid back, chilled out and fun. They also learn a bit too lol .

ReputationRep:
    Margaret Thatcher went there if that is of any relevance?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pkonline)
    My sister goes to Somerville and she's really enjoying it. It's pretty laid back, chilled out and fun. They also learn a bit too lol .
    What subject does she do?

ReputationRep:
    Somerville is great. I am not an Oxford student and didn't apply to the uni, but I have some friends there who love it. It seems very laid back, very friendly, good student-tutor relations.

Highly unlikely college will affect your emplyment prospects. Most of the country aren't Oxford graduates, they won't give a stuff. In any case, you're not going to change college now or reapply for that reason anyway, are you??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ensocopier)
    there is no getting away from the fact that certain colleges have more "prestige" than others but at the end of the day, getting a job comes down to you. having an oxford degree from any college gives you a great advantage, then its down to you to perform in interviews. someone from a "pretigious" college who performs poorly in an interview (remember in a job interview they are now looking for more than just your academic ability) is not going to get the job before someone from a different college who really impressed.

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.