Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I was wondering if there is a way to get your NPLQ in a week. I'd like to get it but I have little spare time to do it and so a holiday time would be preferable.
    Any input?

ReputationRep:
    ya, most courses are 4-5days and are run in the holidays

ReputationRep:
    Yeah. Everyone I know who has it has done it in a week of the school holidays.

ReputationRep:
    is this course hard? I already work in a leisure centre and im quite bored of my job but i love the people i work with and im seriously considering doing this course! Ive never dived before in my life and im not an athlete swimmer but can do lengths etc...

ReputationRep:
    The timed swims you need to do are laughable, as is the minimum dive (1.5 metres!....)
    Most of those who did my course were re-sitting GCSE's at the local College, and one was about 18 stone. They all passed. So in summary, no it isn't hard, you should be fine doing it...
    I would've passed by now were it not for a shoulder dislocation 2 weeks before the exam :-(. And I did mine over 12 weeks, but most uni's seem to offer a 4-5 day intensive course...

ReputationRep:
    I did a NLPQ qualification a few weeks ago and no it wasn't hard, as long as you are not too thick or have any sort of disability. My course was 5 days as well as a sixth day which was the final exam, it was spread over 10 days. It is not hard but you do need to have a certain level of fitness and swimming ability which falls just short of being a regular swimmer. I found it quite hard to do the pre-requisites for the course but after that I was fine and it is dead easy.

The main theme is centred around teamwork and safe working practice, you also practice CPR (for adults, children and babies - yes they all have to be treated differently in an emergency), first aid, the theory of being a lifeguard, and of course you will have pool sessions of up to 2 hours long where you train in all the rescue techniques for all different types of scenarios.

Obviously all swimming pools are different, both physically and staff wise. For instance the shape, and depth specific to the pool may be a factor in what you are trained in. The pool I trained in for example was only 1.5m deep in the most deep part and so diving to retrieve the heavy dummy was easy. In other pools where the pool can go down to 3 metres or more then you will HAVE to dive that depth because it is pool specific, and that is quite hard, especially when you have to retrieve a dummy full of water with no goggles on.

But the NLPQ is no problem to get, as long as you are fit and healthy.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    MMM i mite do it now! If i ever get to speak to my centre manager ill ask him weather the company will pay for it! They said they are keen to offer training leading to personal development etc in the interview... ill hold em to it!

So all in all its not that hard? Can u swim and way you want on ur timed swims?

ReputationRep:
    No they involve towing a body (don't worry, just a dummy or lifeless acting helper) a specific way....

ReputationRep:
    is that easy? do you practice much for them on the course before the exam?

ReputationRep:
    it's really annoying that it only lasts a year(i think) and then you've to do it ALL again! urgh!

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.