The Student Room Group

Physics or Chemistry?

I'm coming up to my first year at College. I've chosen my subjects-maths, geography and product design, but I'm stuck as to whether to do physics or chemistry as my 4th subject. I did my GCSE science in year 10, and i found physics much easier than chemistry, although in the end i got a better mark in chemistry than physics.. :confused: I think i would find physics easier, but chemistry more interesting. I have no idea what i want to do later, so that doesn't really come into it. I've heard that chemistry is a really hard subject at AS. Anyway, if anyone can give me some help it would be great. Thanks
Reply 1
I did both. I hated Chemistry, found it really boring, though this was probably due to the teacher I had. I loved Physics, the teachers were enthusiastic and much more friendly than the Chemistry ones. The Physics work was also much easier for me as Chemistry seemed to be a lot about learning facts and not how to use them, where as Physics had more sensible modellings for stuff. If it's possible start off by taking both courses and then drop one a couple of weeks in.
Reply 2
Physics would probably go better overall with your other three choices - particularly maths. They're both good, respected and at times quite demanding A-levels, just go for the one you feel you'd enjoy more and be willing to put more work into, as this is the one you'll (probably) ultimately perform better in.
Reply 3
i love chemistry
Reply 4
I kept both. It was the same case with me, I used to get higher mark in chemistry but i found physics more interesting. But when i came to AS I found chemistry better and could score better as well...

But AS phy is easy i agree..
As already mentioned, maths and physics go together really well, so you'd probably find physics even easier than you think and the 2 subjects would overlap quite a bit. On the other hand, if you find chemistry more interesting, you'd probably enjoy it more and be more willing to put the work in. It really doesn't matter which you choose as both are very well respected, but just do whichever one you think you'll like more and ultimately get a better grade in.
Both are accesible subjects at AS level, mind chemistry comes up with a few more new things and one has to revert the way they look at atoms, electron shells et cetera.

Physics AS is not hard mathematically really, though A2 looks a bit juicier.

I would recommend Physics if you are doing Maths with mechanics, otherwise an open choice really...just think which teacher you would be able to learn most from...
Chemistry!

Physics, you kind of need maths for A2. You might as well do Maths instead of physics, I heard that mechanics is rather similar to physics.
Reply 8
I'm having a similar dilemna, but I'd much rather take chemistry. I've been told I need physics for some of the degree courses I want, but you won't have that issue because you're taking maths as well. Take whichever you'll enjoy most, it obvious you'll do ok in them both.
Try and figure out what you want to do, at least in what area it will be, eg. if its gona be a mathsy/engineering kinda thing then physics should be your choice. if not then choose chemistry. If you did GCSE science a yr early, provided you did well, dont worry too much about the difficulty of the subjects
Reply 10
Chemistry All the Way! Chemistry is way more interesting than Physics.
I hated chemistry - but thats because i didnt like the class I was in and had found gcse so easy i didnt need to put any effort in. physics i found so tedious at gcse and many of my year are dropping it for a2 because they either find it boring or hard or both
Reply 12
Do physics, I did both chemistry and physics at AS level and found physics more easier and enjoyable.
Reply 13
I, too, did both. Chemistry is undoubtedly easier than physics; the exam questions are much easier. Chemsitry is, though, much less interesting than physics in my opinion.
Physics is easier than Chemistry.

Latest