The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

ChunkymunkyDJC
Tbh if I saw most of the people in this thread who say they're mixed race, I would probably think they are black - and most likely call them black. It's nothing personal or 'racist', it can just be quite hard to tell if you're mixed race or just a lighter tone of black :dontknow: so try not to get too offended if someone gets your heritage wrong.

Also, can I just ask the mixed race people here, what is wrong with the term 'half-caste'? Ever since high school when I heard "WAT DO U MEEN WEN U SAAAY ARRRF-CASTE?" I've always wondered how it was offensive? Is it similar to 'coloured' in that it was generally a term used by racist/ignorant people, therefore has kept those connotations?

half caste isnt that offensive (to me personally) its contextual its offensive if said in a dickish way. My housemate at uni always referred to black people as coloured but he was absolutely not racist so it was completely inoffensive and a non-issue.
Reply 41
+ polarity -
Like Tyson Beckford? :gah:

You know I'm a dude but

:drool:

If I was a woman I so would...

Yeah I said it :woo:
Bishamon
Though I hve not seen you, I give a 97.6% chance you're very sexy :sexface:

I don't mean to generalize but I find the rate of attractiveness more among mixed race people than fully white/black/asian people.
i know someone who is 1/4 black but is blonde, and looks completely white but technically in america they could be classed as black.
Bishamon
If I was a woman I so would...

Yeah I said it :woo:

This is what I was alluding to. :wink2:
Sephirona
I think halfcaste was initially used to demean (sp?) mixed race people by implying they are "half" a person, not whole. I can't explain it properly, u catch my drift though?

Yeah, don't worry, you cleared it up a little bit - cheers :smile:

Though, for me, when I hear the term half-caste, I never think "it means he/she is half a person" I always just thought that it meant they are half one race, half another; I never really saw a problem with it, but I guess it obviously was used in a derogatory way in the past.

Maybe I should read that poem again...
ChunkymunkyDJC
Yeah, don't worry, you cleared it up a little bit - cheers :smile:

Though, for me, when I hear the term half-caste, I never think "it means he/she is half a person" I always just thought that it meant they are half one race, half another; I never really saw a problem with it, but I guess it obviously was used in a derogatory way in the past.

Like Bluelight said, I personally don't think it's offensive it's how someone says it.
Reply 47
Sephirona
I don't mean to generalize but I find the rate of attractiveness more among mixed race people than fully white/black/asian people.

I can see why someone would, it sounds rather shallow but the eclectic mix of positive features from multiple races would be beneficial. Personally I have never considered race as a factor to determine beauty (though I am having bit of a thing for east asian chicks :awesome:)
Reply 48
+ polarity -
This is what I was alluding to. :wink2:

is that scarlet johanssen in your sig? My god, the things I would do...

:nothing:
Reply 49
Bluelight
Im white/black. If Joe Bloggs off the street thinks im black fair do's. If someone who has met my mother calls me black I actually find it quite ignorant, but its a bad habit learned by society and pretty common.

:ditto: Couldn't agree more. I'm also half white and half black and I don't consider myself as black, never have and never will- however if someone else does consider me to be black then I can't say it bothers me and it certainly does not offend me (it's simply their way of seeing the world/classifying people and it differs from mine).
Bishamon
is that scarlet johanssen in your sig? My god, the things I would do...

:nothing:

Get yo mind out the gutter! :naughty:

Spoiler

Bluelight
half caste isnt that offensive (to me personally) its contextual its offensive if said in a dickish way. My housemate at uni always referred to black people as coloured but he was absolutely not racist so it was completely inoffensive and a non-issue.

Yeah I know people like that as well, my Grandpa for one, who use the term 'coloured', but they don't have a racist bone in their body - it's just a word they grew up with. It's a shame that most people would automatically label them racist now if they were to use it.

I always seem to have this discussion with people, thought most people don't seem to see eye-to-eye with me, that a word is just a word - what you infer, or what's behind it, is the meaningful part.
One example was in a Big Brother series a few years back, a girl got kicked out for using the N-bomb. The way in which she used it was completely harmless and she didn't mean anything by it, although I don't advocate the use of that word in any circumstance, but obviously the press exploded with racism claims and the like. Whilst I believe that the N-bomb is quite a bad word, and one that shouldn't be used by anybody, white or black, I was quite annoyed that she was instantly labeled racist, even though she didn't infer any sort of racism.

Anyway, kind of going on a rant here...
ChunkymunkyDJC
Yeah I know people like that as well, my Grandpa for one, who use the term 'coloured', but they don't have a racist bone in their body - it's just a word they grew up with. It's a shame that most people would automatically label them racist now if they were to use it.

I always seem to have this discussion with people, thought most people don't seem to see eye-to-eye with me, that a word is just a word - what you infer, or what's behind it, is the meaningful part.
One example was in a Big Brother series a few years back, a girl got kicked out for using the N-bomb. The way in which she used it was completely harmless and she didn't mean anything by it, although I don't advocate the use of that word in any circumstance, but obviously the press exploded with racism claims and the like. Whilst I believe that the N-bomb is quite a bad word, and one that shouldn't be used by anybody, white or black, I was quite annoyed that she was instantly labeled racist, even though she didn't infer any sort of racism.

Anyway, kind of going on a rant here...

the n word is pretty infamous and there's no confusion over the connotations and its regularly used to racially abuse people, unlike coloured. But the acceptability of its usage is personal and complex. i personally would not be comfortable being referred to as such even in a jokey way. But the black girl wasn't that bothered until other people started acting like she should be bothered, then she started making a big hoo har about it saying she was offended, which was wrong, and the girl in question clearly wasnt racist, and was trying to have a friendly joke, big over reaction on all accounts.
Reply 53
i am white/black. I preferred to be call mixed race but i dont mind when people refer to me as being black, but i would mind if someone called me white because i look far from white.
Reply 54
On a show like BB someone should never be able to use the N-word without reprecussion even if every contestant in the house laughs- it is a racist word and there is no cool way to use it- viewers will go crazy.

I do understand that old White nans use the word Coloured and although it is outdated my Jamaican grandma also uses it sometimes and I do think it reflects the times that they lived in. It is like if Black was to become un-pc in the next 60 years we would probably still use it unconsciously even accidently.

I think mix race people are called Black no matter how dark/light their pigmentation is- mainly because Black also has political connotations e.g. In 60s Asians referred to themselves as Black- as lots of people said due to the racist receival by British society.

I dont know how to quote but the person who said that they think that the Black Police Association is uneccessary- really? After the MacPhearson Reort which stated that the police force is institutionally racist. Furthermore, how can we allow there to be special police operations e.g. Trident in London that focus on Black-on-Black crime not to be criticised but a unit of Black policing to be subject to scrutiny. Lets face it ethnicity matters. Although I do agree with you that we should not be on egg-shells when it comes to race and being deemed racist. People should be able to ethnically define themselves within limitations of reality- Race labels are too easily used as political weapons sadly!
I have no problem with someone labeling me as black. I identity as black or African American.
Reply 56
EskimoJo
:drool:

I'd expect you to be lighter, since he's not half Chinese. Do you have the sexy big lips? How old are you? I may have to stalk you... :ninja: :fan:

:p: They're not as big as his. I'd explain the as plump but not really big :wink:
issih
when i read the thread title i thought u were trying to think of a name for like someones baby or something ha im dim i know it

:lol:

Colour Me Pretty
I like to be called mixed race, because that's what I am.
I don't find it offensive, just ignorant :smile:
I don't like being called half - cast either.

Sephirona
I think halfcaste was initially used to demean (sp?) mixed race people by implying they are "half" a person, not whole. I can't explain it properly, u catch my drift though?

You may have already read this poem. If not then I think you should. If you have well I would still say read it. It's brilliant, and true.

http://www.intermix.org.uk/poetry/poetry_01_agard.asp

One of many anaylsis of it

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/english/poemscult/halfcasterev1.shtml

ChunkymunkyDJC
Y

It's a truly excellent poem
EskimoJo
Whoops! I always thought you were Black or at least a Mulatto (is there a more PC word for this?).

Haha, see what I mean? :h:
If you're white then you are white. If you some kind of brown or chocolate colour then you are black. If you look a bit black, you are black.

Latest