Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hi, I am a y12 student applying for Law at cambridge next year, would rather die than not get in, and I am thinking of spending a stupid amount of money on training for the exams, application form, interview etc. I would be grateful for any advice at all, especially whether expensive courses are worth it!

NB: Please spare me the derrogatory comments about being desperate to get in- you won't think of one I haven't heard, trust me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grace123)
    hi, I am a y12 student applying for Law at cambridge next year, would rather die than not get in, and I am thinking of spending a stupid amount of money on training for the exams, application form, interview etc....
    It depends on whether its your money or your parents'!

Also, don't worry too much... you don't want to make yourself ill or anything. Also, if you apply in year 13 and don't get in, you can always apply next time around....

what subjects are you taking?

ReputationRep:
    hi, I am a y12 student applying for Law at cambridge next year, would rather die than not get in
    Are you serious? Why are you so desparate to get in? (Just curious, I'm not making a derogatory comment or anything)

ReputationRep:
    that's very interesting...I applied for Law to Cambridge last year, and they pooled and then rejected me. They said they liked me but didn't think law was for me, so this year I reapplied for SPS. I guess my advice is...make sure law is REALLY what you want. I applied for Law because it sounded good, whereas I only wanted to go to Cambridge more than anything else.
    BELIEVE ME: even if you are a great, motivated, self-disciplined, intelligent and funny student with excellent grades, but don't really want to do Law - they will not take you, they will find that out in the interview. So before you get the "I will die if I don't get in" attitude (which I also had), make sure you love your subject. Apart from that, if you prefer dying than not going to Cambridge, it shows that what you really want is not law, but cambridge; which is exactly what i have been talking about!! Work on this attitude, learn to love your subject before you start glorifying a particular university, and if you are an able student and get across well, then you are a thousand times more likely to get in than with your current attitude.

ReputationRep:
    hi, I am a y12 student applying for Law at cambridge next year, would rather die than not get in,
    What happens if you do get rejected though? You must have a backup plan!

ReputationRep:
    If you're talking about the company oxbridge applications, I will admit to having talked to them a couple of times, don't think they helped me though. That isn't to say they aren't a good company, who know what they're talking about entirely capable of undermining the applications process, it's just with me I was unlucky and the tutor really didn't give me an opportunity to use what I'd be shown. Go with them, take away some confidence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    If you're talking about the company oxbridge applications, I will admit to having talked to them a couple of times, don't think they helped me though. That isn't to say they aren't a good company, who know what they're talking about entirely capable of undermining the applications process, it's just with me I was unlucky and the tutor really didn't give me an opportunity to use what I'd be shown. Go with them, take away some confidence.
    I've worked (/work?) for them.

All in all if you want it so badly then throw money at the problem. Oxbridge Applications is an elitist program for the wealthier, but it's not much more unfair than the existence of private schools. And they don't really do that much in honesty, just a bit of help tht may just tip the balance maybe that you could get for free elsewhere eg uk-l !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    I've worked (/work?) for them.

All in all if you want it so badly then throw money at the problem. Oxbridge Applications is an elitist program for the wealthier, but it's not much more unfair than the existence of private schools. And they don't really do that much in honesty, just a bit of help tht may just tip the balance maybe that you could get for free elsewhere eg uk-l !
    Cool. I'd say they do a lot for very weak candidates, well the interview training, the other stuff (which I didn't actually buy) didn't seem too great.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    What happens if you do get rejected though? You must have a backup plan!
    I'm loathe to say it but it would appear from the urgency of getting into Cambridge (or die) that suicide would be his/her only alternative. How sad is that?

ReputationRep:
    My father used to do a bit of work for the company Oxbridge Applications. Essentially they give some practice interviews (which you could get much more cheaply elsewhere, and possibly for free through your school), and some general advice, which you can get for free elsewhere (e.g. on this forum and the Oxbridge Info website). They pay their interviewers poorly considering the calibre of person that is really necessary (hence my dad stopping working for them), and get them to do interviews outside their own fields.

ReputationRep:
    Personally I think the fact that companies such as oxbridge Applications exist is disgraceful, and any interviewer with half a brain can tell when someone has been excessively coached. Why should someone have more chance of getting a place just because they can afford to pay for interview lessons? A friend of mine is a graduate student at Oxford and was interviewing this year. He had to go to three days of intensive training sessions, much of which consisted of being informed how to weigh up the background of candidates when making admissions decisions. They were warned specifically about this company and told to bear this in mind when assessing the coaching that each candidate had. It can really work against people.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hildabeast)
    Why should someone have more chance of getting a place just because they can afford to pay for interview lessons?
    Yes very true, but then you could ask Why should someone have more of a chance if they can afford to pay for a good education. And some good private schools hire in their own people to teach candidates how to deal with interview technique etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    Yes very true, but then you could ask Why should someone have more of a chance if they can afford to pay for a good education. And some good private schools hire in their own people to teach candidates how to deal with interview technique etc.
    That's equally as wrong. Believe me, from what D said they are completely paranoid wbout the whole coaching thing and try their very best to train interviewers to weigh performance against background. They are also trained to spot coaching where possible and take a dim view of it.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

ReputationRep:
    hi, I am a y12 student applying for Law at cambridge next year, would rather die than not get in, and I am thinking of spending a stupid amount of money on training for the exams, application form, interview etc. I would be grateful for any advice at all, especially whether expensive courses are worth it!

NB: Please spare me the derrogatory comments about being desperate to get in- you won't think of one I haven't heard, trust me!

ermm rather die? i think if we just get straight to the point, i'd have to say you're a pretty sad person aren't you? go ahead and spend stupid amounts of money if you like but at the end of the day, if you don't have the aptitude for law then you don't have it. paying large sums of money to be told how to "ace a law interview" really isn't going to help that. all tutors are different, go ahead an get interview training but just think about it, how much can someone who has never met the tutor who will be interviewing you realy help you?

these types of things won't hurt your chances of getting in but tbh, i don't think they will really help them all that much either. none of the people doing law with me at merton college, oxford went on any such thing. maybe people don't want to own up to it but i'd say if you lack such confidence in your abilities in the first place...just how well are you going to fare against one of the world's leading academics?

ReputationRep:
    lol well, i only had one formal proper practice interview with my TEACHER, that i knew really well, becuase the school i was going to have one with cancelled last moment! and that interview was physical geog only so i had no practice intervew for human, and i got an offer. So, stop stressing (i know its easy for me to say now!) but you will get in purely if you are what they are looking for. No ammount of coaching can turn you into this person.

ReputationRep:

Does ur school not have interview practice for oxbridge candidates? I had a mock interivew and it was pretty much useless as at ox tmost of the interviews were based on stuff u only saw 20 mins bout the interview. If u have the attitude of i'll die if i don't get in then u won't get in as u'll b stressed out 4 ur interview. Best thing 2 have is an attitiude like great if i get in but if not there r plenty of other great uni's 4 law there are! Seriously if u have that attitude u'll b chilled out during interviews and u'll breeze through it and u'll have a gr8 time

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.