Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm an American, about to apply to LSE for MSc in Development Studies. I'm also applying to UCL and SOAS (which is my first choice). I visited SOAS and loved it. It's the perfect school for me in terms of my interest on African political and economic development. But I know that LSE has this reputation of being very good for social sciences.

Looking at these threads, it seems like a lot of LSE people are very happy to wave reputation in everyone's faces. I attend the #2 ranked uni in the world (Stanford University), so the reputation of my graduate school doesn't matter as much to me; I already have Stanford on my CV. I'm wondering whether LSE students actually enjoy being there, academically and socially. Because I don't need to spend a year being miserable because it looks good to employers.

ReputationRep:
    hehe, well, yr post has a high 'in yr face' characte but it makes yr question clear. And yr right, many LSe students are so proud on the status the LSE enjoys, that they forget the other important factors that make or break a university

Well, of course, I can only speak for myself, but I'm at the end of my postgrad year at LSE now, and it was really a worldexperience for me I came from a more humble university, so perhaps that skews my views on it, but the close contact I had with my professors, the number of friends I made, the insane number of nationalities I have spoken with (and the different nationalistic parties I've been invited at: Greek Bazoukia, Chinese New Year, and Indian religious feast), the central position in London, the parties at the Three Tuns, the beautiful library, the great international speakers I've heard, the number of different societies and their events (which even got me a trip to New York!) and yes, even the knowledge I gathered and the exams I had to take, added to a rich experience that I would call without shame wonderful and exciting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by basbasics)
    hehe, well, yr post has a high 'in yr face' characte but it makes yr question clear. And yr right, many LSe students are so proud on the status the LSE enjoys, that they forget the other important factors that make or break a university

Well, of course, I can only speak for myself, but I'm at the end of my postgrad year at LSE now, and it was really a worldexperience for me I came from a more humble university, so perhaps that skews my views on it, but the close contact I had with my professors, the number of friends I made, the insane number of nationalities I have spoken with (and the different nationalistic parties I've been invited at: Greek Bazoukia, Chinese New Year, and Indian religious feast), the central position in London, the parties at the Three Tuns, the beautiful library, the great international speakers I've heard, the number of different societies and their events (which even got me a trip to New York!) and yes, even the knowledge I gathered and the exams I had to take, added to a rich experience that I would call without shame wonderful and exciting
    What did you read/study at LSE?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rjkara)
    What did you read/study at LSE?
    MSc in Management

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by basbasics)

Yeah looking back on the post, I probably seem like a big snob...didn't mean that I just wanted people to give me answers free of reputation reasons. I chose Stanford because I loved the campus, the people, etc, and refused to apply to any top unis just for the name alone. I mean, I have to live there, right?

ReputationRep:
    haha, no worries And you got yr answer Stanford is indeed beautiful, ike many other American uni's, and unfortunately quite unlike most european universities...hehe. Most European uni's define their task as solely knowledge transfer, although some British uni's see it somewhat broader and include personal forming, sporting, and culture etc. The british uni's I know (oxbridge, lse, and soas) have this broader view on university education, which is a relief....but suffer from money issues which is a pity. Campuses and services are, in comparison with most american uni's I'm familiar with, on a mediocre level at best. Even Oxbridge, although beautiful, has usually quite poor services. Newayz, whichever London uni you'll choose for yr postgrad, London will be a great experience, it's a city unlike any other I know. Have fun!

ps on the risk of getting nasty replies, I'd say that UCL might have a nice reputation, but that it (due to its size and structure), is a university that puts knowledge transfer first, and is lacking in terms of cultural things, sporting etc, at least in comparison with LSE and SOAS

ReputationRep:
    Id be depressed if i were you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phonicsdude)
    :eek:
    :eviltongu

ReputationRep:
    from what i've heard the social life at LSE is crap compared to many other universities in the UK, but its still hard to turn down because of its rep........but then again i've never heard tht ppl at SOAS have a much better social life......ive always been told kings and ucl have the best social life in the UoL but tht still doesnt match up to other universities in the UK. which of course dont match up to the rep of most uni's in the UoL

ReputationRep:
    :sheep: beeehhhh!!!

ReputationRep:
    A confession from jiggaman.
    You spend your days in a cell eating cheese and porridge.

bon appetit!

ReputationRep:
    A confession from jiggaman.
    You spend your days in a cell eating cheese and porridge.

bon appetit!
    Phonicsdude, have you quite finished your LSE bashing? as it is getting rather boring now. Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xanthe)
    Phonicsdude, have you quite finished your LSE bashing? as it is getting rather boring now. Cheers.
    Hey. Dont pretend you're Miss Mature.
    I know you're not all that. I can see through you.

*bashes LSE over the head with an inflatable mallet*

ReputationRep:
    Hey. Dont pretend you're Miss Mature.
    I know you're not all that. I can see through you.
    I am not pretending to be mature. I am mature.

*bashes LSE over the head with an inflatable mallet*
    Ahhhh, I miss those LSE bashing days... :p:

ReputationRep:
    I am not pretending to be mature. I am mature.
    That's right.
    You are still human though. You still have times when you want to be incredibly silly...do stupid things...say stupid things...moments when you dont wish to be a societie's beacon....

(Original post by Plugin baby)
    Ahhhh, I miss those LSE bashing days... :p:
    Are you 18 or 80?

but, yes....they were good...the looks on the faces of all those toffs at the LSE as their proud institution crumbled before my.....

*wakes up from dream*

ReputationRep:
    That's right.
    You are still human though. You still have times when you want to be incredibly silly...do stupid things...say stupid things...moments when you dont wish to be a societie's beacon....
    I am rarely ever silly or do stupid things. That's the truth.

Don't want to be societie beacon? What do you mean?

Are you 18 or 80?
    Neither. :p:

but, yes....they were good...the looks on the faces of all those toffs at the LSE as their proud institution crumbled before my.....

*wakes up from dream*
    LSE bashing never existed?!?!

*Hits Phonicsdude over the head*

Actually there are far more toffs at UCL than any other college in the UoL. This is something I observed.

ReputationRep:
    I am rarely ever silly or do stupid things. That's the truth.

Don't want to be societie beacon? What do you mean?
    You might rarely do silly or stupid things, but you get the impulses to...

*puts on scouts uniform and adopts robotic voice* Hello, my name is Aisha. I am a model citizen. I shall o whatever the government tells me to do.

Neither. :p:
    Sorry. I forgot you were a...mature student... :p: :rofl:

LSE bashing never existed?!?!

*Hits Phonicsdude over the head*

Actually there are far more toffs at UCL than any other college in the UoL. This is something I observed.
    *gets out a giant inflatable mallet*

Heya Aisha darling.... :secruity:

And may I suggest that you open your eyes a little wider...
    ...besides, I never pretended UCL was cool...it's all about KCL for coolness.. :cool:
    p.s. I know that you are not technically a mature student...

ReputationRep:
    I am also an american considering LSE ... but it would be for undergrad. does anybody have anything to say about LSE's lack of a campus?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dede)
    I am also an american considering LSE ... but it would be for undergrad. does anybody have anything to say about LSE's lack of a campus?
    Yes. It's pathetic. :rofl:

(Who cares if it has a campus or not if it's in London? It means you boring lot wil mix with the more sociable, vibrant colleges).

*runs off to bed*

ReputationRep:
    You might rarely do silly or stupid things, but you get the impulses to...

*puts on scouts uniform and adopts robotic voice* Hello, my name is Aisha. I am a model citizen. I shall o whatever the government tells me to do.
    I have no idea how the discussion managed to come to this, but what the hell!

Sorry. I forgot you were a...mature student... :p: :rofl:
    Oh yes, I get the pun. :rolleyes:

BTW I did say I was mature, not a mature student.

*gets out a giant inflatable mallet*

Heya Aisha darling.... :secruity:

And may I suggest that you open your eyes a little wider...
    ...besides, I never pretended UCL was cool...it's all about KCL for coolness.. :cool:
    p.s. I know that you are not technically a mature student...
    Fair enough, but it's usually "UCL is cooler than..." with you.

Are you on MSN now? Or shall I not bother signing on...?

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 30, 2005
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.