Turn on thread page Beta

Hay fever tablets help watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    This all sound really ridiculous. If you have a serious hayfever condition there is a medical reason for needing medicine. Yu should get a prescription, but I don't know about the NHS. In Germany all antiallergic things have to be payed privately and it 's terribly expensive.
    Only cortisone has to be prescribed.

ReputationRep:
    well prescriptions are more expensive than over the counter, i cant really afford to be paying 70 pound out per season, but what choice do i have if i dont i cant see properly and feel really ill.

The perscription people dont take medical conditions into account when assessing your claim. So it wouldnt matter if i was dying and needed 10 different tablets a day, they wouldnt of changed their mind.

ReputationRep:
    I use the gal[harm Non-Drowsy Hayfever & Allergy Relief Loratadine tablets (phew what a mouthful!) and they seem to work so far They were £2 something in Tesco's for 7 but I've found them in ASDA for £1.36 so thats better. I usually get about 3/4 packets when I go as I'm not there that often! I hope you find something that works soon so you feel better :hugs:

Actually, do you know how much the 'season tickets' are for prescriptions? It might work out a little cheaper, especially if you need tablets, sprays and eye drops all the time, but I'm not entirely sure!

ReputationRep:
    30 pound something for 4 months... if the prescription is only 6.50 for 30 tabs i wont save much. I really need to get to the pharmcy next week and talk my options out with them.
    • Answer Heroes
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Answer Heroes
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by * gemchicken *)
    I use the gal[harm Non-Drowsy Hayfever & Allergy Relief Loratadine tablets (phew what a mouthful!) and they seem to work so far They were £2 something in Tesco's for 7 but I've found them in ASDA for £1.36 so thats better. I usually get about 3/4 packets when I go as I'm not there that often! I hope you find something that works soon so you feel better :hugs:
    They have them (albeit sporadically) in our student union shop for 99p for 7 :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    They have them (albeit sporadically) in our student union shop for 99p for 7 :cool:
    Even more bargainous...I likey

ReputationRep:
    tesco's Cetirizine dihydrochloride tablets are £3.25 for 28 and they're exactly what i used to be prescribed (before i was 19 and had to pay), they were buy 1 get 1 free the other week as well

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    Deloratadine and loratadine are different things (desloratadine is a metabolite of loratadine).

Going by the facts deloratadine is a prescription only drug and the max daily dose is 5 mg (loratadine is general sales list for the smaller pack sizes and a pharmacy medicine for larger pack sizes, and has a max daily dose of 10mg) ... desloratadine is gonna be more potent and if you needed this to control your hayfever in the first place I'd guess loratadine isn't gonna do it.

Where are you getting 70 quid from? Is that is you have eyedrops everytime too? If you're having sodium cromoglycate you can buy them cheaper over the counter. Also, badger your surgery, there's really no problem with them putting you 2 boxes on one prescription. Doctors often give people who have to pay for their prescriptions a longer supply than those who don't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Emmz-)
    Deloratadine and loratadine are different things (desloratadine is a metabolite of loratadine).

Going by the facts deloratadine is a prescription only drug and the max daily dose is 5 mg (loratadine is general sales list for the smaller pack sizes and a pharmacy medicine for larger pack sizes, and has a max daily dose of 10mg) ... desloratadine is gonna be more potent and if you needed this to control your hayfever in the first place I'd guess loratadine isn't gonna do it.

Where are you getting 70 quid from? Is that is you have eyedrops everytime too? If you're having sodium cromoglycate you can buy them cheaper over the counter. Also, badger your surgery, there's really no problem with them putting you 2 boxes on one prescription. Doctors often give people who have to pay for their prescriptions a longer supply than those who don't.

i suffer from march til october/novemeber depends how warm the autumn is, thats around 9 to 10 boxes a year. Yes i do have sodium cromoglycate eye drops plus nasual sprays. Im pretty much on everything and anything, i take the eye drops and nasual sprays when i have a bad attack to help the tablets. Ive never found anything which is capable of killing the symptoms, i guess thats why im on desloratadine.

I am planning on asking the surgery, but they was relucant to put me on tablets last time but had to cos i was receiving prescriptions for eye drops and nasual sprays. If it had been anyone else they would of been fobbed of to the chemist. If he wont prescribe me more than one box, im gonna have to find out what i can take as an alternative which might be cheaper.

ReputationRep:
    Its all sorted i beleive, went and spoke to the receptionist she didnt think he would prescribe me more than one pack. So she edited my notes to prescribe 2 packs per prescription, im just not sure if its a one off. But im releaved, she kind sympathised when i explained what had happened with my hc1 form.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.