Favourite Parisian Attraction... Watch

This discussion is closed.
Fluffy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
I'm off to Paris soon, and was wondering what sights are the best to take in on a whistle stop tour.

What are you're fave Parisian attractions and why?
Fleece
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Sounds crazy but the sewers are good :-\

I love Paris

If it's nice weather it's really nice to sit in the Jardins de Tuilleries

Obviously you've got your tourist spots like the Eiffel Tower (yes you will get squished but it's one of those things you have to do), and the Louvre (which, unless you really like art/have your heart set on seeing the Mona Lisa, isnt really worth it..I was most disappointed)
Montmartre is definetely recommended but it depends how long you are there for, there are about 5/6 main areas, cant remember now...Latin Quarter, MontMartre, St Germain, Notredame etc.
Personally i love Montmatre - it's so quaint and arty and just really nice and there's a biiiiig hill you walk up to the Sacre Coeur but it's worth it.x
Fleece
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
oooh no..double post...sorry....comp was being slow
Madelyn
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
If you don't want to deal with the Louvre but would still like to see some art, the Musee d'Orsay is much more manageable - you can see pretty much everything in a day. I love the Louvre, but it is kind of expensive. The Latin Quarter's great for just wandering around, lots of interesting little shops. I'd recommend Notre Dame, at least from the outside. I don't think it's worth queueing for hours to get in.
Montmartre is pretty cool, I particularly like Abesses, which is a bit less touristy than some parts. I'm not bothered about the Eiffel Tower, but that's just a personal thing, and if you're going to Paris it's pretty much compulsory to at least go to the bottom of the tower. Basically, what you visit depends on what you like - I love art, so go to all the museums and so on.
You might want to get a Paris guidebook, the streetmaps at least tend to come in handy, even if it does make you look like a tourist. I'm the moron who managed to lose the Eiffel Tower...
unfinished sympathy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i would love to visit paris, i've got this thing with capital cities; it's my dream to live for only 2 months in paris, rome, berlin, london, moscow and athens. saying that i want to go to uni in paris,
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I still love the eiffel tower like a big kid. But its soooo cool.
bourdu
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Mrs. Political)
i would love to visit paris, i've got this thing with capital cities; it's my dream to live for only 2 months in paris, rome, berlin, london, moscow and athens. saying that i want to go to uni in paris,
Yeah, yeah. Paris seems nice before you have to live there. You can't find a suitable accomodation in Paris without spending astronomic amounts. Live is expensive, going out is expensive. And you're foreigner, you have so many ways to be fooled...
The only way for people who want to study in Paris is to rent a room in suburbs which is actually at 40-50 kms from Paris and spend about 3 to 4 hours in city trains each day. That's definitely not a life for me...
Come as a tourist, that's fine. Come to live there and you will soon regret...
unfinished sympathy
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
do you recommend that i don't go to uni there then? shame
Vixen
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Oooh, I love Paris

When I went my favourite attractions were the Eiffel Tower, Notre-Dame Cathredral (was amaaaazing ) and the Sacre-Coeur. Right near the Sacre-Coeur is a little village and it has a little square/courtyard bit with loads of french people sat around painting and it feels really nice and frenchy if you get me :p:

I also enjoyed a night time boat trip down the Seine. You could see the Eiffel Tower all lit up and it was so beautiful
Vixen
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Oooh and the Arc De Triomph is nice too. Its a beautifully made structure. I took about half a films worth of pictures of it because the sheer intricateness of it fascinated me
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by bourdu)
Yeah, yeah. Paris seems nice before you have to live there. You can't find a suitable accomodation in Paris without spending astronomic amounts. Live is expensive, going out is expensive. And you're foreigner, you have so many ways to be fooled...
The only way for people who want to study in Paris is to rent a room in suburbs which is actually at 40-50 kms from Paris and spend about 3 to 4 hours in city trains each day. That's definitely not a life for me...
Come as a tourist, that's fine. Come to live there and you will soon regret...
I must have had it lucky then!
Weejimmie
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
www.shakespeareco.org
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Weejimmie)
www.shakespeareco.org
Overated IMO, as it is more a tourist attraction than anything else, situated in the most tourist-ridden part of Paris.(C-E and E-T excluded)
milady
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
The arc de triomphe has a good view.

And the lady and the unicorn tapestry is really nice (at the musee de cluny).

If you're interested in napoleon the musee de l'armee is pretty good too.

I went up to sacre coeur/montmartre, and i admit i didn't like it.

But my experience of paris is very limited.
bourdu
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Vienna)
I must have had it lucky then!
Do you study in Paris ? Do you live in Paris intra-muros ? i yes, how much do you pay for your rent ?
bourdu
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Mrs. Political)
do you recommend that i don't go to uni there then? shame
If you're wealthy, it worth it. But if you just want to study in France, there are plenty of other universitary cities that worth it too. It depends on what you want to study...
vin
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
What about Disney Land?
buttons7
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
musee d'orsay is amazing, it's just about my favourite art gallery ever. and, if you like oriental-type stuff, then go to the guimet museum (it's kind of near the seine), and has collections of lots of art, sculpture etc from the far east, most of it very old. i went there last time i went to paris and thought it was amazing.

if you go to the eiffel tower then do it at night-time; notre-dame is a bit of a letdown (although one of my friends amused herself when she went by running around the square pretending to be a hunchback and yelling "les cloches, les cloches!"). also, i'd say the louvre is over-rated - the mona lisa is kind of fun, but i wasn't that impressed by the other collections: alot of the artwork in the french wing seemed to be there more because it was french than because it was good. you might want to have a look at saint chapelle; a little chapel thing built almost entirely of stained glass. it's kind of pretty, but doesn't take up much time.

and i'd definitely have a look at shakespeare&co if you like bookshops - the upstairs floor, in particular, is very cool. plus, like all second-hand bookshops, you can get some good bargains there.
Va Va Voom
Report 13 years ago
classic 'musts' to visit- the eiffel tower, the arc de triomphe, notre dame, the louvre and the champs-elysées. the view from the top of the eiffel tower on a clear day is breathtaking, so definitely try to get up there..it's worth the long wait! and sitting in a café on the champs-elysées at night, watching everyone go by, with the arc de triomphe at one end, is also great

la défence is pretty cool- it's basically a modern version of the arc de triomphe..take a lift to the top if you want more views of the city

place de la concorde at the end of the champs elysées- biggest square in paris, definitely worth a visit

the sacre coeur is best at night, imo, just as the lights are coming on

for cheap shopping, go to one of the flea markets! but then there's also the huge department stores- printemps and galleries lafayette..the huge stained-glass dome is awesome!

and then there's disneyland! yay!
Tyler Durden
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Paris is just about my favourite place in the world. A lot of the best bits have been mentioned. The Louvre is fantastique but the Mona Lisa is overrated in my opinion. The glass pyramid is worth seeing. Just along the river near the Louvre they've set up a "beach"; I'd avoid Paris Plage though (assuming it's still going strong) - it was so crowded. You can walk along on the level above it and just look down across it.

If you like shopping then it's worth wandering along the Champs Elysees (although you'll be paying above the odds). But the best bit about it is the Arc de Triomphe. If you can get to the top of that around about sunset and look back over the Champs Elysees you get some fantastic views. If you look about 45 degrees to the left you see The Sacre-Coeur church in Montmartre on the horizon (which is amazingly beautiful). Also, if you look down you get to witness some shambolic French driving as they all scramble home in the evening.

Montmartre is definitely worth going to. The whole atmosphere there is the image most people have of Paris; the arty, liberal, poetic feel. Jardin de Tuileries is a good place to relax and they have their own "wheel" not far from there which isn't quite the London Eye but could be worse... (just!)

One of the best things to do though is just to wander along the river and take in the atmosphere. It's an awesome place. Have you been before ever?

Place to avoid: Bois de Boulogne at night.

Also if you have a day free to get out of Paris you could do a lot worse than a trip to Versaille. If you go to the palace it has amazing grounds and you can rent a bike and make your way through them.

Wish I was going back to Paris.

Have fun!

Edit:
Also Notre Dame!
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1236)
79.59%
Leave (317)
20.41%

Watched Threads