Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering if anyone has any tips on how to revise and keep the information!

I seem to read and read over my notes, hardly any of it goes in then.

bullet points and diagrams help, but i've got loads to revise for my biology A2 in january, to be exact FOUR WEEKS!

I think i should have asked santa for a better brain

x x x

ReputationRep:
    Have a day off its still christmas. You shouldn't have to worry about revision today

ReputationRep:
    true, lol, i should ake you advice

in fact, i will start to worry on monday

x x x

ReputationRep:
    no, i think you should get started early and go and disect a turkey.

ReputationRep:
    I am starting my revision on saturday but I will be doing some work tomorrow. I probably won't get back into the full swing of things till after New Year though. My exams are not till late Janaury anyway so I have time yet.

ReputationRep:
    disect a turkey?

i doubt if there are any turkeys left!

disecting a kidney was enough for me, omg it stunk, i nearly threw up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sassy_j)
    Just wondering if anyone has any tips on how to revise and keep the information!

I seem to read and read over my notes, hardly any of it goes in then.

bullet points and diagrams help, but i've got loads to revise for my biology A2 in january, to be exact FOUR WEEKS!

I think i should have asked santa for a better brain

x x x
    Biology is quite easy to revise. I have this wicked revision technique that allows to retain like 80% of info per unit in about a day's worth of good revision. Basically..the reason you're not rememberign anyting is cos you're reading. Reading is passive..your brain gets bored. You need to ask yourself a few questions first..like why are you learning this information..how much do you need to learn to get the grade you want. How fast do you want to learn it..etc

Begin by writing the main heading near the top of the page. Then look at the information in the text book and sorta draw arrows (like a spider diagram). Only write the most important information in the least number of words. What you should aim for is trying to fit everything in onto one page. If you can't do this, do it on two pages, tape them together then photocopy it as one page. Eventually you aim to summarise the notes even more..smaller. It might sound too easy..but trust me it's quite hard. Try to find out where things might link together and summarise it in different categories..tables..mind maps, spider diagrams.

What you're forcing your brain to do is trying to link everything together..trying to find out the best way to sort out all the information. It sounds hard at first..takes a bit of time at first..but then the results are good. You remember a lot more because you thought about it more. Plus, when you revise..no more reading and reading through notes (tho you will need to pinpoint pages with real detail). Look at the summary sheet and voila..most of the stuff is in your memory. So in the end, you're revising less but with better results.

Also, try and picture the information. What I do is try and see a cartoon. For example, when I was trying to remember the ion channel gates that span the membrane, I saw a cartoon of Japanese men surrounding a circular fort (representing the membrane) and only letting certain people through (representing ions )..sounds silly but helps you remember.

ReputationRep:
    thankyou!

i will try that!

our biology class of 6 have made up loads of ways to remeber things, but the membrane channels we had as a tube station, and for oxidated phosphorylation we had the bluewater bus returning to pick up shopping,dropping it off then returning for more

it helps

lol

x x x

ReputationRep:
    thankyou!

i will try that!

our biology class of 6 have made up loads of ways to remeber things, but the membrane channels we had as a tube station, and for oxidated phosphorylation we had the bluewater bus returning to pick up shopping,dropping it off then returning for more

it helps

lol

x x x
    Class of six. Wicked! I have a class of 30 and that makes it real hard cos you know the quality of teaching is not as good with that many people. I just mess around in class and teach myself. The teacher is wonders why my test results are good. Hey..so you've already been picturing stuff. That's quite good actually cos it took me quite a while to realise that rote memorisation wouldnt work for A level. For GCSE maybe..but for A level..lol..too much information to learn parrot fashion. Are you at a private school? What you wanna study at uni?

ReputationRep:
    i go to a grammar school

there were two biolog classes in year 12, each having about 18, but in year 13 lots of people dropped it, we eneded up with 6 in our class, so its all good. I felt stupid if i made a mistake in a bigger clas, but now its ok because everyone makes mistakes, we have 3 straight a students, and 3, how should i put it grade d students (me being one of them).

We all help eachother, i actually look forward to biology!

what about you?

x x x

ReputationRep:
    Look forward to bio? Yes in a way. Cause the teacher makes it fun...

ReputationRep:
    i always remember things by saying a sentence or phrase to myself
    then saying it again but with using my hands and talking animatedly.
    It helps much more than just murmuring things

ReputationRep:
    i go to a grammar school

there were two biolog classes in year 12, each having about 18, but in year 13 lots of people dropped it, we eneded up with 6 in our class, so its all good. I felt stupid if i made a mistake in a bigger clas, but now its ok because everyone makes mistakes, we have 3 straight a students, and 3, how should i put it grade d students (me being one of them).

We all help eachother, i actually look forward to biology!

what about you?

x x x
    Hi.sorry about the late reply. I'm at a local Sixth Form College (applied to Eton but they rejected me...lol). My only other choice was the local college. It's not too bad though. The big classes make the teaching hard and you get some of the suck ups asking uneccesary questions just to sound smart. I just realised that whatever I did in class, as long as my tests were up to scatch, most teachers won't care you not taking notes(well not writing down EVERY SINGLE WORD). I'm sure there are quite a few people on this forum who are like me and learn NOTHING in class (a[apart from maybe maths).

Grammar schools are real good in teaching. I wish I had a applied to one. We have many in Bedfordshire. I assume you're saying that you're a D grade student to be modest eh..lol.. I'd love to be in a smaller class cos even if I was an E grade student, you would eventually learn how to be an A grade student by mirroring what they do. In a large class it's impossible to do that. The A grade students are bored because the teacher is trying to go at the pace of the slower students. Hence no one learns from anybody else.

What are you hoping to study at uni?

Take Care

John

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by punkprincess)
    i always remember things by saying a sentence or phrase to myself
    then saying it again but with using my hands and talking animatedly.
    It helps much more than just murmuring things
    As I mentioned above, this method might work for GCSE but it won't work for A level. Rote memorisation is too time consuming..plus you don't understand what you're trying to remember half the time. I tried it for AS and had to change my technique to using mnemonics and picturing cos rote memorisation was not working effectively enough.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.