Turn on thread page Beta

Over protective parents... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    it's not as bad as parents that have CCTV set up in every room of the house to monitor you, and a GPS tracking device on your shoes to track your every step....

not that my parents are like that, but they can be pretty bad at times...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Ace is Back)
    maybe carry a pepper spray around with you or something lol
    Good Idea. If I tell them, I'm sure they'll rush out and buy some (and I'm not joking)

(Original post by nasht)
    Lucky you because I can't even go out after 8pm and im already 18
    You can't go out anywhere? i can go to parties(when there are parents present), see movies but I can't go into town and look at stuff in shops.

So, it turns out there are other overprotective parents. Isn't it bad when your younger siblings are trusted more, than when you were their age? When I was 14 I couldn't go to the shops and walk around bymyself, but my 14 yr old sister does that all the time.

ReputationRep:
    These posts are shocking me! I was allowed out clubbing at 16 (used to go out way before that though) and my parents were fine, thats normal where im from. I always ring them wherever i go though - maybe they're stupid enough to trust me hahhahaha!

Actually the truth is they trust my boyfriend who is older (21) and wiser! maybe thats the answer, get yourself an older boyfriend who your parents fall in love with!

ReputationRep:
    your parents let you go out clubbing (ie home at 3am) when you were 16 in nottingham? isnt that where all the murders are?

anyway...

just tell your parents where youre going and phone them or text them.. it might seem stupid and obvious but it seemed to work for me.. they used to be like that but now theyre fine with it.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm...well i'm 16 in 3 weeks and basically I don't go out that much at night anyway - I look too young to get into clubs (even tho I've got friends the same age as me who manage to go clubbing!) - I even get ID checked trying to get into a 15 rated movie! None of my friends really go to bars n stuff much anyway (other than the occasional under 18s 'club' night but they finish around 11pm and I'm always picked up by parents...they're not exactly thrilling LOL). Hopefully our lives will get a bit more exciting when we start college in September!

Although, well, I doubt my mum would let me out past about 9pm anyway - she's shouting at me that I should be 'in bed, fast asleep!' at 10.30-ish while I'm staring out my window looking at the kids in the year BELOW me at school all outside having fun (well, supposedly)!! I tell my mum - well, at least I'm not them!

My dad's even more overprotective though - he doesn't even agree with me being left in the house on my own (and my house is a tiny one in the middle of a respectable estate) although I kinda ignore him (sorry dad!) as he doesn't live with us.

So there's a lot about me (I bet you were really interested huh?) but not really any advice I can give, sorry!

MissSurfer

ReputationRep:
    People say that by sticking to the rules they'll get better, I found the opposite, not doing as they say, and generally being argumentative solved all the problems for me. Stops you from turning into a bloody pushover as well.

ReputationRep:
    My parents are ok they have their moments but all in all they're quite reasonable

Whereas my friend whos 18 couldn't come to my house at 5pm last night cos it was too late?! :confused: :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1w)
    your parents let you go out clubbing (ie home at 3am) when you were 16 in nottingham? isnt that where all the murders are?
    Haha, Nottingham has such a reputation! Yes, it has a high crime rate, but to be honest, I've lived in the area all my life, and I've never seen much evidence of this. It's certain areas of Nottingham e.g. St Anns that seem to have a lot of shootings, but this isn't the centre of Nottingham, and your average person knows to avoid such areas. I've walked round Nottingham alone for many years, and never had a problem.

As for the issue at hand, my parents have always been pretty average as far as protecting me goes. I've noticed that they've slackened quite a bit over the last few months, but I think that has come from years of good behaviour. I've always told them where I am, lived by their rules, and it pays off eventually. My mum is quite weird in one respect though. On my birthday, I had a few mates over at my house (not drinking or anything - just hanging out), and I was really low cos my 3 (female) mates had all backed out of staying the night for various reasons. So, a couple of my other best mates (male) offered to stay the night. I asked my mum, and she was really weird about it. I guess it's down to being old fashioned, but she didn't like the idea of me sleeping in a room with these guys. I should probably also mention that I had a boyfriend at the time, and he wasn't one of the guys staying over!

ReputationRep:
    My parents used to be like that but they aren't as bad now (although after a certain incident they've been a bit worse). Just tell them you feel you should be allowed a bit more freedom and just remember, you only have about 2 years left of having to be told what to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imasillynarb)
    People say that by sticking to the rules they'll get better, I found the opposite, not doing as they say, and generally being argumentative solved all the problems for me. Stops you from turning into a bloody pushover as well.
    I thought that would work but it sooooooo didn't! It made things worse. My mum and dad cut down what i was allowed to do by a large amount. Then i calmed down and did what they told me, came in on time and didn't get drunk (that they knew of at least) and ended up getting a lot more freedom.

ReputationRep:
    I have recently been told I am wrapped up in soooo much cotton wool that if I was in a serious car accident, I'd probably end up coming out of it with maybe just a little of the cotton wool torn off, but otherwise right as rain! (I'm 20 years old as well!) My mum tries to rule my life. :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Maybe some girls are just too promiscuous. And then their parents discovered it and dislike them going out...??

Because frankly if your parents trust you, they'd generally let you stay out at night late.

ReputationRep:
    My mum is like she is with me because she had some bad experiences growing up and doesn't want the same to happen to me. It's not that she doesn't trust me.

ReputationRep:
    My parents used to be really bad - I wasn't allowed to go ANYWHERE by myself. Not even the corner shop, and that's two minutes down the road. So I stuck to it for a while, and now they're a lot more relaxed. They still say I'm not allowed to go out by myself, but I do anyway and they pretend they don't notice. They let me go on holiday recently with just some friends, so they've definately loosened up a lot.

ReputationRep:
    my parents were terrible i wasnt allowed to be in my room on my own, except to sleep. They wanted to know who i was textin on my phone. It got so bad, (together with mental and physical abuse) i moved out. and i'm so much happier now!

ReputationRep:
    lol i think i was lucky in the sense i have an older brother and sister, my parents had eased up a bit by the time they had me. Still, my dad was never really aware of what i was doing, and still isn't, its not that he isn't interested, its just that he knows if i told him i was going somewhere and not my mum, she'd probably have a fit lol

I've been 18 for like 3 months, but i was going out with my sisters id (my mum didn't realise this, she thought i was just 'getting in' ha) for at least a year before, with my friends as well, and my mum at first had a big problem with it, didn't like me coming in at 3, like not even once a week, but now its thursday, friday, saturday and monday nights i'm out, lol but shes fine with it now. I found as long as i let her know where i was going she was fine about it, and often i end up going back to a friends house anyway and coming back the next morning, i just text and let her know. Cant wait to get to uni now so i don't have to worry about the texting anymore tho.

Essay! x

ReputationRep:
    Notice how its been only one guy with the over protective parents?
    Even in my house my older sister got loads of stick about going out and I am often sent out to take her wherever she wants to go and have to get back by myself through what they describe as 'bad areas'. Not that I want to be over-protected but I sometimes wonder how the parents justify their seemingly double standard views.

ReputationRep:
    Ahaha! You're complaining about your parents being "overprotective".

At least they sound like they actually care about you - mine were the exact opposite. They couldn't care less about what I do, and I can tell you, they certainly did NOT care when I was 16 :rolleyes:

Not that I guess I needed the guidance, heh I was a bit of a goody-two-shoes at your age :p:

But it was for me tho, no1 else. I was just a nerd. I'm weird My parents were the outgoing ones :eek:

They even told me to get out of the house so that they could have a fight, and I'd be like 'noo! I want to READ! :mad: ' Lol the geek in me.

Then they split up. I was never that surprised they were selfish enough to go ahead and do that.

Anyway if your parents continue being that anal, get them to have a talk to my dad - he's about the most easy going dad you'll ever have! :p: And sometimes in a good way too, whereas my mum would just complain all the time about her life

DB_x

ReputationRep:
    i had such problems when i was 16-17!! All i did was sleep over at a friends place!!! I planned it out and slept out so often that later on they never had a hassle with me sleepin over! And then......i clubbed!!!! Endlessly and throughout the night!!!! Streaks of brilliance!!! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    my parents are like that. My dad always has got at least one criticism about each of my friends, doesn't believe i'm street wise and tries to pick my uni course. (I only just managed to get out of taking accounts!)

It's stupid really because when i go to uni, he can't do a thing about it and i seriously cannot wait! They are driving me up the blimmin' wall!

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.