Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edders)
    It's not 'just for fun' (they don't set tests for fun at ICL, lol), it's to see if you need maths help. If you get below 70% (14/20 or something like that) you have to do a maths catch-up class in the first term. It doesn't count towards your grade though. I have a friend who failed his test and got a first this year, so meh.
    thanks for the info! I hope I pass that test :s:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rich)
    Indeed and that girl was quite random who was trying to get a train home or something? :confused:
    yeah she was the younger sister of a Garden hall physicist who was being a bit difficult that night.... she wanted to go to Victoria at 2am to catch a 6am train, and would happily wait OUTSIDE the station, rather than go back, have 3 hours sleep and head to Victoria to catch the same train! :confused: twas madness, but we let her go in the end - we needed sleep ourselves!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adarah)
    thanks for the info! I hope I pass that test :s:
    yeah, else we might have to banish you from this board for being too rubbish

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4Ed)
    :bawling:

ReputationRep:
    :bawling:
    awww isn't he a meanie...

I'll have a word with him about that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4Ed)
    lol, if you fail your intro test you need to have your brain MOT'ed. :p:

ReputationRep:
    lol, if you fail your intro test you need to have your brain MOT'ed. :p:
    I managed to get 19/20...messing up the intergration of sinx. >_<
    I also remember my mate got one of this questions marked wrong, on the True/False part of the test. The question if f(x)= x-1 Then fof(x) = x-2 . Quite impressed with that...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mehh)
    I also remember my mate got one of this questions marked wrong, on the True/False part of the test. The question if f(x)= x-1 Then fof(x) = x-2 . Quite impressed with that...
    lol, oh dear.

ReputationRep:
    wth is f -> fof?

ReputationRep:
    i think we'd better stop the rot.... lets not get in to specifics here!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mehh)
    we never integrated sin, cos and tan... the other maths course did, but we had the crap east-German teacher :mad: . I think I know how to do it anyway, because we had to do that in Physics of course when we did the wave functions, but I may have forgotten... eh.... sin(x) would be cos(x), cos(x) is -sin(x) but tan(x) ??? :confused: ... damn...

ReputationRep:
    we never integrated sin, cos and tan... the other maths course did, but we had the crap east-German teacher :mad: . I think I know how to do it anyway, because we had to do that in Physics of course when we did the wave functions, but I may have forgotten... eh.... sin(x) would be cos(x), cos(x) is -sin(x) but tan(x) ??? :confused: ... damn...
    lol, oh dear. Those are the kind of things you should commit to memory!

As for integrating tanx, think

1. tanx = sinx/cosx
    2. rule for diff. logs is d/dx(log f[x]) = f '[x]/f[x]
    3. so d/dx (ln[cosx]) = -sinx/cosx = -tanx
    4. so d/dx (-ln[cosx]) = d/dx (ln[secx]) = tanx
    5. ie the integral of tanx is ln[secx]

ReputationRep:
    lol, oh dear. Those are the kind of things you should commit to memory!

As for integrating tanx, think

1. tanx = sinx/cosx
    2. rule for diff. logs is d/dx(log f[x]) = f '[x]/f[x]
    3. so d/dx (ln[cosx]) = -sinx/cosx = -tanx
    4. so d/dx (-ln[cosx]) = d/dx (ln[secx]) = tanx
    5. ie the integral of tanx is ln[secx]
    :confused:

we never did anything like that in maths, we did stupid statistics instead.

I actually have no idea what you are talking about there, maybe I should fail that test so that I can do the catch up maths course . (basically I have no idea what secx is :confused: , the rest I can sort of work out, although it's not easy to follow when you never worked with sin cos and tan in maths except for geometry :mad: )

ReputationRep:
    don't worry it's not hard to pick up, you should have no trouble at all...

it's just something you commit to memory, standard 'integrals' like those.

ReputationRep:
    :confused:

we never did anything like that in maths, we did stupid statistics instead.

I actually have no idea what you are talking about there, maybe I should fail that test so that I can do the catch up maths course . (basically I have no idea what secx is :confused: , the rest I can sort of work out, although it's not easy to follow when you never worked with sin cos and tan in maths except for geometry :mad: )
    secx is shorthand for 1/cosx, cosec for 1/sinx, cot for 1/tanx. The way I remember it is the 3rd letter begins the name of the reciprocal function it describes.

ReputationRep:
    secx is shorthand for 1/cosx, cosec for 1/sinx, cot for 1/tanx. The way I remember it is the 3rd letter begins the name of the reciprocal function it describes.
    :banghead:

Ok - now it all makes sense! :p: Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    :banghead:

Ok - now it all makes sense! :p: Thanks!
    You're welcome sweedie! It will all be gone over (albeit very quickly) in the intro maths course.

ReputationRep:
    You're welcome sweedie! It will all be gone over (albeit very quickly) in the intro maths course.
    phew... some good news at least then

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Just wanted to ask if any ex first year maths students could post their timetable so that I could make myself an idea of what awaits me.

Thanks for any answers.

ReputationRep:
    basically, you have 13 hours a week of lectures... 3/week for each of the 4 courses, plus a computing lecture. adding to that, you also have one tutorial/problem solving class per week for each course that you do, and one for the computing (maple or matlab).

so that gives you 18 scheduled hours a week, plus you normally arrange to see you personal tutor once a week as well.

that's spread over the course of 5 days, so you won't have more than about 4 scheduled hours a day.

Poll
Are you chained to your phone?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.