This discussion is closed.
Saffie
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by TKR)
That's a theory, and a very flawed one at that
Well how about you highlight the flaws? And are you saying bisexuality doesn't exist? :eek:
A0307
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Saffie)
Well how about you highlight the flaws? And are you saying bisexuality doesn't exist? :eek:
Personally I don't think it does, though I realise it's quite an unfashionable viewpoint at present. If you ask me, most bisexual people are simply gay but don't want to admit it. A recent (though slightly crude) study found this also.
Mr_H
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by calumc)
Personally I don't think it does, though I realise it's quite an unfashionable viewpoint at present. If you ask me, most bisexual people are simply gay but don't want to admit it. A recent (though slightly crude) study found this also.
and yet i know a fair few people who call themselves 'gay' just to avoid comments like that, despite liking to have fingers in both pies... (not quite sure how wise that wording is... :s: ) my boyfriend included...

(Original post by galadriel100)
As if you would get changed infront of everyone in the changing room anyway. Why do people do that? Still, if everyone got changed in the toilet cubicles, they would still want people of their gender cleaning the room, unless no one was there, so they wouldn't know who cleaned it.
and too true... really does seem the best idea. privacy for everybody: as there are people out there who just aren't comfortable getting changed infront of ANYBODY... male, female, homo, hetero... infact, i only know 1 place that i have been swimming in the past few years that doesnt have cubicals... everyone's happy maybe i live in an odd part of the country... well, yeah: it's shropshire... :p:
TKR
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Hey hey no I NEVER said bisexuals don't exist I happen to know a fair few myself thank you very much. What I meant was that I simply don't buy into this theory that is currently in vogue, which suggests that nobody is exclusively gay or straight and that we are all simply somewhere on a scale, with exclusivity being an extreme rarity or a delusion. The flaw is that it simply fails to account for the VAST majority of people who do feel exclusive in their sexuality, both straiht and gay. You said that people often weren't 100% gay or straight and introduced the silly idea of percentages. Whatever people are attracted to that's fine and I'm quite sure bisexuals do exist, they are, however the exception to the rule in my opinion.

EDIT: You being saffie
Saffie
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by TKR)
Hey hey no I NEVER said bisexuals don't exist I happen to know a fair few myself thank you very much. What I meant was that I simply don't buy into this theory that is currently in vogue, which suggests that nobody is exclusively gay or straight and that we are all simply somewhere on a scale, with exclusivity being an extreme rarity or a delusion. The flaw is that it simply fails to account for the VAST majority of people who do feel exclusive in their sexuality, both straiht and gay. You said that people often weren't 100% gay or straight and introduced the silly idea of percentages. Whatever people are attracted to that's fine and I'm quite sure bisexuals do exist, they are, however the exception to the rule in my opinion.

EDIT: You being saffie
Many adolescents feel attraction to the same sex and it's considered a 'normal' part of growing up, perhaps the "VAST majoirty" are just closed-minded? As MR_H said, some people just say they're gay to loose the stigma, and some will just say they're straight for that reason. i.e. Whatever studies/surveys you may be thinking of might not be portraying the truth. And the lies issue matters to jobs, whereby your sexual orientation matters.
TKR
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I'm sorry I just cant beleive that so many people could be either lying about their sexuality or under some kind of illusions about it. Whatever adolescent phases people might go through, nearly all people class themselves as exclusively straight or gay. I cant refer to studies or surveys here - I'm talking about real life experience and common sense. Of course some people are going to be closed minded and some are going to be concealing the truth. However, the weight of these two aruments for me is minimal when I move in circles with so many straight men who re completely open minded and liberal in their opinions and sexuality and have no problem whatsoever with the idea of homosexuality, yet still feel eclusively straight. Equally, I fail to see that a bisexual person would profess to be gay to avoid stigma - it seems to me to be much more the other way around. The number of gay men one can meet who will regail you with stories about how they tried to convince themselves they were bisexual early on in coming to terms with their sexuality is surprising and important. Additionally, if someone is brave enough to come to terms with the fact that they stray from the norm of heterosexuality in any way - I doubt that the idea of some stigma from the gay community attached to bisexuality is going to daunt them from living as the choose in light of how far they must already have come in this respect.

When faced with such a huge majority of people who are exclusive in their sexuality compared to the minority of bisexuals or people who find themselves "somewhere on the scale" in the long term, I'm afraid I still beleive that the majority of people ARE exclusive in their sexuality (for the reasons above) - I'm just defending my views about the "spectrum of sexuality" theory.

Not that it has particular relevance to this debate. Personally I think that the idea of banning a man (let's be frank - we're talking about straight guys not wanting puffs staring at their willies here, aren't we?) from working where he wants to on account of his sexulaity is abhorrent.
ArthurOliver
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by TKR)
Not that it has particular relevance to this debate. Personally I think that the idea of banning a man (let's be frank - we're talking about straight guys not wanting puffs staring at their willies here, aren't we?) from working where he wants to on account of his sexulaity is abhorrent.
Do you think that the idea of banning a man (let's be frank - we're talking about women not wanting straight men staring at their tits here, aren't we?) from working where he wants to on account of his sexuality is abhorrent? Your answer has particular relevance to this debate, which is about equal treatment of straights and homosexuals.
TKR
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by ArthurOliver)
Do you think that the idea of banning a man (let's be frank - we're talking about women not wanting straight men staring at their tits here, aren't we?) from working where he wants to on account of his sexuality is abhorrent? Your answer has particular relevance to this debate, which is about equal treatment of straights and homosexuals.
On account of his sexuality - yes. It's already been established that I dont accept that the current rules on who works where in terms of changing facilities are sexuality driven - that's your pet preoccupation, remember?

When talking about equal rights, I'm sure most people are talking about the rights of gay men to work in the same places as straight men. The spin that you;ve put on the issue no doubt stems from your own underlying prejudices against any minority or anything that you can label "political correctness gone mad!" cue LC01 whining and a scandalised Daily Mail :rolleyes:
LPK
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Cubicles are the answer
ArthurOliver
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by TKR)
On account of his sexuality - yes. It's already been established that I dont accept that the current rules on who works where in terms of changing facilities are sexuality driven - that's your pet preoccupation, remember?
All I've heard so far from you lot is that a person is familiar with their own equipment so is more comfortable with people who have similar equipment--part of it surely, but why do you believe sexuality isn't a part? My pet preoccupation? Is that intended to suggest I'm less worthy of straight debate because I'm supposedly kinky?
When talking about equal rights, I'm sure most people are talking about the rights of gay men to work in the same places as straight men. The spin that you;ve put on the issue no doubt stems from your own underlying prejudices against any minority or anything that you can label "political correctness gone mad!" cue LC01 whining and a scandalised Daily Mail :rolleyes:
No doubt this post stems from your prejudices about what I believe because I'm a 'nasty' White nationalist.

The argument is about treating gay and straight the same - if the sexuality of straight men makes some women uncomfortable, it's not homophobic for some straight men to be uncomfortable with gay men, equal treatment of the two sexualities would in fact demand it.

You have to bear in mind that employers make these rules. To rule out the very reasonable possibility that they are reducing the risk of legal action owing to sexual issues requires a denial of common sense.
TKR
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
No doubt this post stems from your prejudices about what I believe because I'm a 'nasty' White nationalist.
No it comes purely from what I have observed of both your behaviour and opinions on this forum.

The argument is about treating gay and straight the same - if the sexuality of straight men makes some women uncomfortable, it's not homophobic for some straight men to be uncomfortable with gay men, equal treatment of the two sexualities would in fact demand it.
Okay well what if (as is likely to be the case) the straight men didn't know that the attendants in the changing rooms were gay? They couldn't still feel uncomfortable about it and they never need know - problem solved!

As for the likelihood of sexual impropriety - I think this is a poor argument. Any impropriety is hardly going to go unnoticed or unpunished in a public swimming pool or gym. Surely any pervert gay or straight would choose much different surroundings in which to do.... their thing.

Finally I do think it's important to recognise the differences in the threat that straight men perceive from gay men, and that that women feel from straight men. Now neither is particularly rational of course and only a very tiny minority of either group is dangerous to anyone in terms of sexual abuse. However, I perceieve qualitative differences in the justifiability of the threats perceived owing to how well a straight man is able to defend himself against a gay "attacker" compared to a woman against a straight man.
ArthurOliver
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago

Ah well, can't really work up the interest to pursue this further, it's pretty obviously a sexual matter at least in part.

[I'd be surprised if you've seen any 'homophobia', overmuch concern with PC excess, or Daily Mail style dramatics. Some PC convention is terrifically harmful, some has been terrifcally positive.]
TKR
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Well it took me about five minutes to find a reference to homosexuals as "perverts" in your signature links but dont worry about addressing my points or anything.

Trigger
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
ok this was not meant to be an argument about weather bi's are real or not please talk about the topic or i will close it
ArthurOliver
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by TKR)
Well it took me about five minutes to find a reference to homosexuals as "perverts" in your signature links but dont worry about addressing my points or anything.

Oh dear.

I hope that won't stop you checking out the rest, I could link to yahoo directory, the bible, talmud or quran and we'd probably find something equivalent there if we looked. The links I hope, are politically reasonable, if you find hate or supremacism there, PM me and I'll remove them.
Trigger
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
last chance guys
TKR
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Deviation is always going to be a part of a d and d thread :confused: if someone makes a point in passing that relates to the original question that others don't agree with they aren't gonna just let it pass are they?! :confused: close it if you need to - my work here is done - but I think as arguments go this one has been incredibly tame for d&d!
Lush Law
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
At the end of the day, sexuality should not come into whether or not someone should be permitted to work in swimming pool changing rooms. Nobody should have to admit their sexuality to their employer, everybody can exercise discretion etc. It's absurd to say that a gay man can't work as a swimming pool attendant and walk through the mens changing rooms whilst on duty. I would imagine that a hell of a lot of straight men wouldn't mind if there was a gay man working at their gym.

The gym my parents go to employs several gay men [it's obvious and they're out to some members...] - it's not something that is hidden whatsoever.

Nobody cares...helllllooooo?!?!?
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1529)
79.26%
Leave (400)
20.74%

Watched Threads