The Student Room Group

The IB&C Pre-University Thread for School and A Level Pupils

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Hey, I'm in Year 10. I've been interested in Investment Banking for a year now.

I'm always trying to get work experience but, I find it pretty hard to find "relevant" opportunities. So I was wondering if their was an effective way to get work experience in a bank.

I was also wondering about which banks would be "preferred" when trying to find work experience. Can you also tell me, what duration for work experience is "pretty" good or average.

Lastly, has work experience/mentor program at a Law firm, got any relevance to investment banking. Thanks
Reply 121
Oh and I also wanted to ask: Is knowing someone in the field of IB or having contacts absolutely necessary if you want to break into IB.. I've heard a lot of people say, that if you don't know anyone than just give up..

Seems like a pretty depressingly pessimistic view on becoming an IB..
PXUmais

I'm always trying to get work experience but, I find it pretty hard to find "relevant" opportunities. So I was wondering if their was an effective way to get work experience in a bank.

I was also wondering about which banks would be "preferred" when trying to find work experience. Can you also tell me, what duration for work experience is "pretty" good or average.

Lastly, has work experience/mentor program at a Law firm, got any relevance to investment banking. Thanks

No one will hire you because you are a ******* kid. First hit puberty, then you can start worrying about you're going to going to break into banking.
(edited 13 years ago)
PXUmais

You don't need contacts, if you get into the top 6/11 universities. You won't get any real work experience at this age, unless you go to a top private school (because some do work experience). However, at this age I would suggest you get work experience from your local retail bank or accounting firm because these would be more open to giving you work experience.
Reply 124
Zweihander
No one will hire you because you are a ******* kid. First hit puberty, then you can start worrying about you're going to going to break into banking.

I was about to make a pretty long post as a reply to the load of crap that was that comment, but then I noticed your warning level and I understood..

Did your mother ignore you as a child? Don't worry, with some counselling you'll be fine in no time.. :wink:

P.S. I asked a question, there was no need to be a patronising fool.. :p:

Oh and Mouse, thanks for the info..
Reply 125
I got work experience at an IB (Contacts, :P).. Useful or Useless?
Original post by PXUmais

Original post by PXUmais
I got work experience at an IB (Contacts, :P).. Useful or Useless?

What do you think?
Would I be kissing goodbye to a grad consultancy job with the likes of the Big 4 if i went to Bath university and did Business Administration or do i NEED to go to Warwick?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by georgie-rose
Would I be kissing goodbye to a grad consultancy job with the likes of the Big 4 if i went to Bath university and did Business Administration or do i NEED to go to Warwick?

Depends which firm you want to work for. If we're talking MBB then Warwick is the only one that'll give you a fighting chance. Otherwise, Bath should be sufficient.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Zweihander
Depends which firm you want to work for. If we're talking MBB then Warwick is the only one that'll give you a fighting chance. Otherwise, Bath should be sufficient.

Thank you for your answer, but what does MBB stand for? :colondollar:
Original post by georgie-rose
Thank you for your answer, but what does MBB stand for? :colondollar:

Mckinsey, Bain and Boston Consulting Group. World's Top 3 Consulting firms, and known for being heavily biased towards Oxbridge in their recruitment.
Reply 131
Original post by Annoying-Mouse
A language and maybe mathematics A level are the only subjects which are desirable. The rest is up to you. If you don't have any interest and literally don't want to do anything apart from go into investment banking study:

A language.
Mathematics
Further Mathematics
Economics
Critical thinking (they will be as useful when doing competency questions as Mathematics A level is when starting the job).

I would be cautious of critical thinking as a bit of a modern-day symptom of the dilution of our education system. The chances of getting into IB are heavily geared towards getting into a good uni. Look at the LSE blacklist of courses to get a feel for what's a good A-level and what's not. Good unis don't typically value critical thinking. I think the other courses make a lot of sense though. Perhaps physics would be better than critical thinking.

What will be more important will be the uni course you take and where you take it. For example, if you do social and political sciences at uni, history of art, philosophy, english or any of the softer subjects, you are precluding yourself from the industry. So think about how your A-levels may influence your uni course potential more than how they will influence your iBanking potential

Cheers,

P

PS. LSE blacklist: http://www2.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/howToApply/lseEntryRequirements.aspx
Reply 132
Has anyone here been on the JP Morgan Schools Programme? What did you think of it?
Reply 133
Which are the 'big 4' banks? A quick Google didn't give me the answer.

Also are there any other programmes like the JP Morgan Schools one?
Original post by r_mar
Which are the 'big 4' banks? A quick Google didn't give me the answer.

Also are there any other programmes like the JP Morgan Schools one?

Big 4 Banks in the UK or US? or do you mean the Big 4 Professional Services firms?
Reply 135
Good point haha. Banks in the UK.
Original post by r_mar
Good point haha. Banks in the UK.

Barclays, HSBC, Lloyds, RBS. They're the big 4 in terms of number of retail banking.
Original post by loggins
Yeh, Printernships are all the rage!

Seriously though, look at Rothschild, Deloitte, KPMG for year long programs pre uni.

hi is this good stuff in preparation for a career in IB, a one-day insight programme at Bank of America and a 2 day programme at Goldman Sachs - all female programmes (I had to complete an online application for both and I was successful) also does this put me in a good position when applying for internships?

i'm going to apply for the jp morgan programme too... are these achievements good ?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 138
Original post by iheartmondays
hi is this good stuff in preparation for a career in IB, a one-day insight programme at Bank of America and a 2 day programme at Goldman Sachs - all female programmes (I had to complete an online application for both and I was successful) also does this put me in a good position when applying for internships?

i'm going to apply for the jp morgan programme too... are these achievements good ?

hey may i know where you registered for the bank of america recruitment
Have JP Morgan pushed back opening times for their schools programme? Applications don't know open untill April?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending