Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How much money is someone with a 1st or 2.1 from imperial for chemical engineering likely to earn just after graduating?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matouwah)
    How much money is someone with a 1st or 2.1 from imperial for chemical engineering likely to earn just after graduating?
    I wouldn't set your sights far beyond 35,000 pounds per year if I were you. You're still wet behind the ears after all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    I wouldn't set your sights far beyond 35,000 pounds per year if I were you. You're still wet behind the ears after all.
    wet behind your ears?

ReputationRep:
    £35K a year is a hell of a lot of money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    £35K a year is a hell of a lot of money.
    hmm......so 50k is like not very probable? maybe i should go to uni in the US instead....probably get more if i get into a good uni,....

ReputationRep:
    £35! Is a lot of money its more than enough to live on. Whats the point in having loads of money if you're not happy? I think £35k is a nice amount as you will be able afford lifes luxeries but not be too rich either.

ReputationRep:
    wet behind your ears?
    slang - English translation -

col. To be new and inexperienced (from where a baby is born and its ears are wet from the birth).

ReputationRep:
    hmm......so 50k is like not very probable? maybe i should go to uni in the US instead....probably get more if i get into a good uni,....
    most graduates' first salary is under £20k. £35k is in the highest tax bracket and well above the average wage in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    No way £35k for a starting salary, probably a bit under £20k actually.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexander)
    No way £35k for a starting salary, probably a bit under £20k actually.
    I thought doctors were like £12k for the first few years...

And anyway, having a job in teh chemical profession is soooo diffucult. Even professors can't find jobs...

ReputationRep:
    A professor came into our college to discuss it and he seemed to hint that there is a shortage and the stats he showed us had 24k as the average starting salary for a chemical engineering graduate rising but if you go into he petroleum sector then someone who graduated from UMIST last year who went to my college had a starting slary of 38K p/a, petrol companies seem to always be on the lookout.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    I thought doctors were like £12k for the first few years...

And anyway, having a job in teh chemical profession is soooo diffucult. Even professors can't find jobs...
    docs start on about 18k and go upto 24k in the 2nd year, I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by George-W-Duck)
    A professor came into our college to discuss it and he seemed to hint that there is a shortage and the stats he showed us had 24k as the average starting salary for a chemical engineering graduate rising but if you go into he petroleum sector then someone who graduated from UMIST last year who went to my college had a starting slary of 38K p/a, petrol companies seem to always be on the lookout.
    so if u get a good degree i.e. 1st or 2.1 from a good university.....and a bit of luck....u can get like 40k+ a year just after graduating?

ReputationRep:
    Are you from planet zog? Do you have any idea how much £40,000 a year is?

I would imagine only the very best and I mean the very best graudates start on that. Most student will be lucky to manage £20k in a few years time.

ReputationRep:
    Are you from planet zog? Do you have any idea how much £40,000 a year is?

I would imagine only the very best and I mean the very best graudates start on that. Most student will be lucky to manage £20k in a few years time.
    **** that then....better of going to the US and get more money...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanMushMan)
    docs start on about 18k and go upto 24k in the 2nd year, I think.
    Wow, thats some good money...

ReputationRep:
    **** that then....better of going to the US and get more money...
    Yes you better had '****' that. Go to the lovely USA where you have to pay a fortune for health care, you will also have to pay much more for your tution fees and you have a clown like GW Bush running the country.

Seriously why are people so bothered about money? If my parents earn £20k between them and manage ok I am sure a graduate can manage on that.

ReputationRep:
    Seriously why are people so bothered about money? If my parents earn £20k between them and manage ok I am sure a graduate can manage on that.
    Yep, my feelings as well.

ReputationRep:
    Yes you better had '****' that. Go to the lovely USA where you have to pay a fortune for health care, you will also have to pay much more for your tution fees and you have a clown like GW Bush running the country.

uhm...i am international....UK and US are bout the same for me....all expenses included...

ReputationRep:
    £35! Is a lot of money its more than enough to live on. Whats the point in having loads of money if you're not happy? I think £35k is a nice amount as you will be able afford lifes luxeries but not be too rich either.
    Bearing in mind that it will go upwards...

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.