This discussion is closed.
matouwah
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
How much money is someone with a 1st or 2.1 from imperial for chemical engineering likely to earn just after graduating?
Sire
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by matouwah)
How much money is someone with a 1st or 2.1 from imperial for chemical engineering likely to earn just after graduating?
I wouldn't set your sights far beyond 35,000 pounds per year if I were you. You're still wet behind the ears after all.
matouwah
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sire)
I wouldn't set your sights far beyond 35,000 pounds per year if I were you. You're still wet behind the ears after all.
wet behind your ears?
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
£35K a year is a hell of a lot of money.
matouwah
Rep:
?
(Original post by amazingtrade)
£35K a year is a hell of a lot of money.
hmm......so 50k is like not very probable? maybe i should go to uni in the US instead....probably get more if i get into a good uni,....
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
£35! Is a lot of money its more than enough to live on. Whats the point in having loads of money if you're not happy? I think £35k is a nice amount as you will be able afford lifes luxeries but not be too rich either.
LH
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
wet behind your ears?
slang - English translation -

col. To be new and inexperienced (from where a baby is born and its ears are wet from the birth).
LH
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
hmm......so 50k is like not very probable? maybe i should go to uni in the US instead....probably get more if i get into a good uni,....
most graduates' first salary is under £20k. £35k is in the highest tax bracket and well above the average wage in the UK.
Alexander
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
No way £35k for a starting salary, probably a bit under £20k actually.
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Alexander)
No way £35k for a starting salary, probably a bit under £20k actually.
I thought doctors were like £12k for the first few years...

And anyway, having a job in teh chemical profession is soooo diffucult. Even professors can't find jobs...
George-W-Duck
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
A professor came into our college to discuss it and he seemed to hint that there is a shortage and the stats he showed us had 24k as the average starting salary for a chemical engineering graduate rising but if you go into he petroleum sector then someone who graduated from UMIST last year who went to my college had a starting slary of 38K p/a, petrol companies seem to always be on the lookout.
DanMushMan
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by 2776)
I thought doctors were like £12k for the first few years...

And anyway, having a job in teh chemical profession is soooo diffucult. Even professors can't find jobs...
docs start on about 18k and go upto 24k in the 2nd year, I think.
matouwah
Rep:
?
(Original post by George-W-Duck)
A professor came into our college to discuss it and he seemed to hint that there is a shortage and the stats he showed us had 24k as the average starting salary for a chemical engineering graduate rising but if you go into he petroleum sector then someone who graduated from UMIST last year who went to my college had a starting slary of 38K p/a, petrol companies seem to always be on the lookout.
so if u get a good degree i.e. 1st or 2.1 from a good university.....and a bit of luck....u can get like 40k+ a year just after graduating?
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Are you from planet zog? Do you have any idea how much £40,000 a year is?

I would imagine only the very best and I mean the very best graudates start on that. Most student will be lucky to manage £20k in a few years time.
matouwah
Rep:
?
Are you from planet zog? Do you have any idea how much £40,000 a year is?

I would imagine only the very best and I mean the very best graudates start on that. Most student will be lucky to manage £20k in a few years time.
**** that then....better of going to the US and get more money...
GH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by DanMushMan)
docs start on about 18k and go upto 24k in the 2nd year, I think.
Wow, thats some good money...
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
**** that then....better of going to the US and get more money...
Yes you better had '****' that. Go to the lovely USA where you have to pay a fortune for health care, you will also have to pay much more for your tution fees and you have a clown like GW Bush running the country.

Seriously why are people so bothered about money? If my parents earn £20k between them and manage ok I am sure a graduate can manage on that.
GH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Seriously why are people so bothered about money? If my parents earn £20k between them and manage ok I am sure a graduate can manage on that.
Yep, my feelings as well.
matouwah
Rep:
?
Yes you better had '****' that. Go to the lovely USA where you have to pay a fortune for health care, you will also have to pay much more for your tution fees and you have a clown like GW Bush running the country.

uhm...i am international....UK and US are bout the same for me....all expenses included...
B00kwOrm
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
£35! Is a lot of money its more than enough to live on. Whats the point in having loads of money if you're not happy? I think £35k is a nice amount as you will be able afford lifes luxeries but not be too rich either.
Bearing in mind that it will go upwards...
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (8)
4.55%
Confident (17)
9.66%
Indifferent (17)
9.66%
Unsure (40)
22.73%
Worried (94)
53.41%

Watched Threads