CAREER- money Watch

This discussion is closed.
FurbyMaX
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by matouwah)
**** that then....better of going to the US and get more money...
Really, people like you really get me down.

From this thread, my first impression of you is that your first priority is money. If you really want more money, why get into chemical engineering? It's a widely known fact that most of the scientists don't get paid well.

And do you really think that by going to America you will solve the money issue? The admission and tuition fees of the american universities are much more expensive than the british universities. And what guarantees you that you will get a 40k job after getting graduated?
matouwah
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
(Original post by FurbyMaX)
Really, people like you really get me down.

From this thread, my first impression of you is that your first priority is money. If you really want more money, why get into chemical engineering? It's a widely known fact that most of the scientists don't get paid well.

And do you really think that by going to America you will solve the money issue? The admission and tuition fees of the american universities are much more expensive than the british universities. And what guarantees you that you will get a 40k job after getting graduated?
internationals end up paying bout $45,000 max for a year in the top ivy league universities in the US, taking all expenses into account.....in the UK....going to UCL or imperial....i will end up paying bout 20-22k....taking all expenses into account again...
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
£22k is much cheaper than $44k.

If you want money so badly just become a drug dealer or somthing.
LH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
You don't seem to realise how much £35k is, especially as a starting salary, investment banks, amounst the highest payers in the world, pay their graduates about £24k at first, which rises rapidly if they are good.
dave3226
Report 14 years ago
Sorry Brits,
Matouwah is right. For most courses, if you complete your education in the US you will get more money coming out of school. Afterall they don't call it the land of mil and honey for nothing. Its just the US has a more capitalist system. Just look at the Unis for example. Oxford has an endowment of 4.4 billion US while Harvard has 19.3 billion US. The UK is a really nice country - personally I think its better than any in Europe, but some parts of the US are better. Even though it costs more it doesn't mean the the level of service is the same as the UK. Medical costs in the US are huge but overall they have the best health system as they spend 14% of GDP, the UK only spends 8%
Harry Potter
Badges:
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by 2776)
I thought doctors were like £12k for the first few years...

And anyway, having a job in teh chemical profession is soooo diffucult. Even professors can't find jobs...
You would earn more than that working at McDonalds.
matouwah
Rep:
?
(Original post by Harry Potter)
You would earn more than that working at McDonalds.
lol...true...
the g
Report 14 years ago
i plan on robbing my university when i get in and robbing the people in my accomodation. i then plan on leaving the UK and spending my money on a beach resort. and ****ing hot women.
loopy2
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by the g)
i plan on robbing my university when i get in and robbing the people in my accomodation. i then plan on leaving the UK and spending my money on a beach resort. and ****ing hot women.
How deeply sad you are
catz
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by George-W-Duck)
A professor came into our college to discuss it and he seemed to hint that there is a shortage and the stats he showed us had 24k as the average starting salary for a chemical engineering graduate rising but if you go into he petroleum sector then someone who graduated from UMIST last year who went to my college had a starting slary of 38K p/a, petrol companies seem to always be on the lookout.
If it was stats from the states are you shure it was £s or $s?
lilsunflower
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
What would you consider a good salary? I'm from overseas so I'm not too familiar with the system in UK. Here, a good salary is about 20k dollars a month which is about 7k pounds a month.

But we have very low costs of living i.e. an entire meal with a drink for a pound. Petrol is about 30cents/liter meaning about 10p/liter. I went to the UK and was shocked that things were so expensive! CDs especially. I would never pay 10 pounds for a CD, esp here we can get good fakes for 1 pound. I'm gonna have such a hard time in the UK... probably will starve myself to death.
lilsunflower
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
internationals end up paying bout $45,000 max for a year in the top ivy league universities in the US, taking all expenses into account.....in the UK....going to UCL or imperial....i will end up paying bout 20-22k....taking all expenses into account again...
Apparently, most of my friends studying in MIT, Harvard, Princeton, Cornell or Stanford are paying USD60k/year. You only pay less if you have a bursary or something. Roughly its USD 60k plus expenses. Some Unis charge even more. That's for international kids.

Ummm.. UK unis are definitely cheaper.. I'll be paying about USD 30k a year.. which is half of US fees. Plus, the courses in the states are really long. like law is 5 years?? Something along those lines..
matouwah
Rep:
?
i'm positive that its less than $45,000.i had an alumini interview with some guy from MIT and he told me dat....plus all uni websites have similar figures......29k for tuition.....bout 8k for room...and rest for food n livinig.......
lilsunflower
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i'm positive that its less than $45,000.i had an alumini interview with some guy from MIT and he told me dat....plus all uni websites have similar figures......29k for tuition.....bout 8k for room...and rest for food n livinig.......

This is what the website says:
http://www.gse.harvard.edu/~finaid/intlfaq.html

Sorry lolz.. my bad info earlier. Apparently its about 45-50k on average. Still more expensive than the UK.
matouwah
Rep:
?
(Original post by lilsunflower)
This is what the website says:
http://www.gse.harvard.edu/~finaid/intlfaq.html

Sorry lolz.. my bad info earlier. Apparently its about 45-50k on average. Still more expensive than the UK.
yeah true.....but if compared to London.....not by too much.....plus in the US its easier to get financial aid and scholarships/......
JaF
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by FurbyMaX)
....From this thread, my first impression of you is that your first priority is money. If you really want more money, why get into chemical engineering? It's a widely known fact that most of the scientists don't get paid well.
Average salary of a chartered Chemical Engineer: £54,000

I'd say that was fairly good pay.
matouwah
Rep:
?
chartered? does dat mean experienced?
JaF
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
If you have an accredited MEng in Chemical Engineering you can become chartered after ~5 years of experience. But you don't just need the experience you also have to have some kind of assessment before you are allowed to become chartered.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (232)
27.62%
No (608)
72.38%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed