The Student Room Group

Can you apply to both Cambridge and Oxford?

Hey guys.

i just called Cambridge and they said that out of your application which consists of 5 universities in one academic year, you can only apply to 1 college: either Oxford or Cambridge? Is this true? If it is, is there any peculiar reason to do so. I mean both are such prestigious colleges so that if a person applies, it would be pragmatic to apply to both. Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You may apply to both if you apply as an organ scholar.
Reply 2
its either oxford or cambridge
Reply 3
areithr
its either oxford and cambridge

:eek3:

but yeah, unless you apply for organ scholarship or as a graduate it's one or the other
Reply 4
you cant. otherwise (nearly) everyone would apply to both, so each would get twice the number of applications.
Reply 5
or if it is your second undergraduate degree you can i believe
Reply 6
If you're an international student and therefore not applying through UCAS I believe it's possible
Reply 7
campy
If you're an international student and therefore not applying through UCAS I believe it's possible

No, it's not. International students have to apply via UCAS as well.
Reply 8
JacobM
:eek3:

but yeah, unless you apply for organ scholarship or as a graduate it's one or the other

sorry just be not being able to type :smile:
Reply 9
Why are you ringing cambridge before youve applied?
Rationalist
If it is, is there any peculiar reason to do so.

I imagine it's because most of the people who currently apply to one would probably then apply to both, and, if they were good enough to get an offer from one, they'd probably be good enough to get an offer from both, so would just have to choose between them eventually, and applying to both would have only served to double the workload.
Reply 11
Revolution is my Name
I imagine it's because most of the people who currently apply to one would probably then apply to both, and, if they were good enough to get an offer from one, they'd probably be good enough to get an offer from both, so would just have to choose between them eventually, and applying to both would have only served to double the workload.

I think its also to do with the extensive interview process, interviewing twice as many candidates would be too much work for them to do. Also I guess they want to know that most people they have given offers to will firm them.
Reply 12
There have been replies that students that apply to one will apply to both. However, in the U.S. why is it that students can apply to all the universities they want to. I mean people apply at Harvard, Princeton, Yale, and Stanford at one time. All 4 are prestigious and thus many people would apply to them. Why not Cambridge or Oxford?
Reply 13
hobnob
No, it's not. International students have to apply via UCAS as well.

Oh, my bad. Well a friend of mine went to her cambridge interview where she met someone who was applying for both, not really sure how they swung that one.
Reply 14
Rationalist
There have been replies that students that apply to one will apply to both. However, in the U.S. why is it that students can apply to all the universities they want to. I mean people apply at Harvard, Princeton, Yale, and Stanford at one time. All 4 are prestigious and thus many people would apply to them. Why not Cambridge or Oxford?

They're private universities so less people apply to them anyway. You would have to be either rich or lucky to go to an ivy league uni in America.
Reply 15
campy
Oh, my bad. Well a friend of mine went to her cambridge interview where she met someone who was applying for both, not really sure how they swung that one.

Well, both university websites clearly state that applications have to be done via UCAS, so my guess would be that it was someone applying for a second BA.
Reply 16
iamru
or if it is your second undergraduate degree you can i believe

:lolwut:

That would be a postgraduate degree.. its only undergraduate if you haven't done a degree before..
Reply 17
Who's N?
:lolwut:

That would be a postgraduate degree.. its only undergraduate if you haven't done a degree before..

Erm, no. If you graduate with a BA in Something Or Other and then do a BA in Something Else, you're still an undergraduate, because you're doing an undergraduate degree.
Reply 18
hobnob
Erm, no. If you graduate with a BA in Something Or Other and then do a BA in Something Else, you're still an undergraduate, because you're doing an undergraduate degree.

but you'd be applying as a post grad right?

Maybe I'm wrong :dontknow: if so, my bad!
Reply 19
Who's N?
but you'd be applying as a post grad right?

Maybe I'm wrong :dontknow: if so, my bad!

No. You're only a postgraduate if you're enrolled for a postgraduate course.:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending