to dye or not to dye??? Watch

This discussion is closed.
*starry_eyed_*
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
OK i have a bit of a dilemma... before xmas, my aunt (a professional hairdresser) agreed to put highlights into my hair, as I have never experimneted before. I asked for red/copper, but she put blonde. At first, I didn't mind, but now I really do not like it, would go as far as saying I hate it. :eek: my question is, do i let it grow out (last got my roots done in march) or do i dye my hair a similar shade to my natural colour, which i love?????
Glory
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i had blonde highlights, i decided to dye my hair blonde instead of going back to my natural colour.. since i thought they would hide them better, which they have.
*starry_eyed_*
Rep:
?
my natural hair is close to black, so blonde really would not suit me!
Adarah
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I'd say dye it back to your original colour if you don't like the blond streaks. Those bits might still be a bit lighter than the rest, but at least they'd just be highlights then as opposed to blond on black...
*starry_eyed_*
Rep:
?
thanks. any idea how much it would cost?
frost105
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
If you go to a hairdresser they will use a semi permanent but the bleached sections will soak up the colour more than the rest of your hair and will be a bit lighter after 24 washes.
I wouldnt use permant dye though. Most hairdressers will do a colour for £30 or less unless you want a trim too.
*River
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
It's probably best to grow them out, if you dye over they'll still show up because they've been bleached so they take the colour differently.
*starry_eyed_*
Rep:
?
oooo what to do?!? won't my hair look dreaful, with bits of blonde half way down my hair????
Fleece
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
yes...dye it. When the pink wore off mine, i was left with bleached bits underneath my hair...i just dyed over it, it was a bit lighter than the rest but it just looked subtely highlighted.
tate
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
just dye it similar to your natural colour, then it hides the highlights and your kinda back to where you started. personally i wouldnt waste money getting my hair dyed at the hairdressers, i always get my mum to do mine, its so much cheaper!
Fleece
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
yeah i always do mine myself, costs like £4 a pop...

Altho i have a question.....my hair atm is dyed darker than my original colour, not much but different shade so it's noticable when it grows out - i'm sick of carrying on dying it so could i dye it lighter, does that even work :-\
SlyPie
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Eww bottle blondes always look bad. Your natural color looks best. I mean when your eyebrows are brown and your hair "blonde"..it looks weird. Plus people with tanner skin look "dirty" if they dye their hair blonde.

DYE IT BACK TO NATURAL.
saz_1989
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Go to a hairdresser and ask them to fix it. Tell them exactly what you want. I'd advise your normal colour because bleaching your hair is really bad for it.
*starry_eyed_*
Rep:
?
(Original post by SlyPie)
Eww bottle blondes always look bad. Your natural color looks best. I mean when your eyebrows are brown and your hair "blonde"..it looks weird. Plus people with tanner skin look "dirty" if they dye their hair blonde.

DYE IT BACK TO NATURAL.
thankfully i don't look bad (i don't think i do anyway!) its jist when i see my highlights in the wrong light!
SlyPie
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by *starry_eyed_*)
thankfully i don't look bad (i don't think i do anyway!) its jist when i see my highlights in the wrong light!

ah, well highlights aren't as bad as full-out bottle blonde
tate
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Fleece)
yeah i always do mine myself, costs like £4 a pop...

Altho i have a question.....my hair atm is dyed darker than my original colour, not much but different shade so it's noticable when it grows out - i'm sick of carrying on dying it so could i dye it lighter, does that even work :-\
yeah my hair is dyed darker than my natural colour (my natural colour is kinda dark brown and i dye it blue-black) i so pose it depends what colour you've dyed your hair in regardes to dying it lighter, i once had a disaster trying to get rid of the black, i used pre lightener and bleach and ended up going bright ginger with bleach blonde roots, not a nice look, needless to say i dyed it black again lol and its stayed that way ever since! ive thought about getting rid of it but i'm not prepared to let it grow out and look silly for ages lol if your hair is brown and and youve dyed it say dark brown you should be able to dye it lighter.
Fleece
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Yeah..god ive dyed it so much these last few years..at the moment though its just a dark brown, mines a middle brown naturally....think i might have to go get it done at a salon though just to be safe!
madjackie
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
whatever u do seek professional advice!!!! lol I work in a shop that sells at home hair dyes and we had a boy who had dyed his hair black n wanted to lighten it. He was askin my manager for advice about products and she was like "well that colour would react n make ur hair green!" EEEEEEEK xxx
tate
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Fleece)
Yeah..god ive dyed it so much these last few years..at the moment though its just a dark brown, mines a middle brown naturally....think i might have to go get it done at a salon though just to be safe!

yeah so pose that might be best if your trying to get a peticular shade. i just don't think its worth it when it comes to dying my hair, if i dye it blue black or the hairdressers dye it it will look the same lol i save money on colouring it so i can spend more on the cut lol
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (903)
79.91%
Leave (227)
20.09%

Watched Threads