The Student Room Group

help with complaining about universities?!

hey all im in my second year of uni (finishing in may) and whilst i have been on the course i have been sexually discriminated against, bullied by a teacher (along with another student) :mad: plus our uni is really unorganised and doesnt have equipment or enough staff....
god i sound so moany! but i'm in £8000+ debt and i just want my complaint to be handled properly.

I havent complained to my uni as im worried i might suffer from some repercussions.

does anyone know where i can complain to (other than to my uni) please? :confused:

I've written to the "Office of the Independent Adjudicator for Higher Education" but dont know if that is the right place to complain to!!

any info, help and tips for complaining would be great!!

thanks a lot!!! :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Which uni is this?
I don't think you'll get anywhere with complaining about how the university is ill-equipped or disorganised - some are, that's how it is. The bullying is another matter though, you could probably do something about that, but surely if it's just one teacher then going to the "head" (or someone high up) of your university would be worth it as a first step? I don't think they'd hold it against you in any way. Other than that I don't know where you could go I'm afraid.
cassie234

I've written to the "Office of the Independent Adjudicator for Higher Education" but dont know if that is the right place to complain to!!

It is, but they can't consider complaints until you've given the university the opportunity to respond. Your uni should have a published complaints procedure - may even be buried on its website - get hold of it and follow the steps outlined.
Ombudsman could probably help, but you have to write to an MP so they send it on to them.
Installation
Ombudsman could probably help, but you have to write to an MP so they send it on to them.

Not true. The Ombudsman (aka the Office of the Independent Adjudicator for Higher Education) can look at complaints directly from individuals but they do insist that the university has been notified by the student of the complaint and has had the opportunity to respond to the issues raised.
IndiePixie
Not true. The Ombudsman (aka the Office of the Independent Adjudicator for Higher Education) can look at complaints directly from individuals but they do insist that the university has been notified by the student of the complaint and has had the opportunity to respond to the issues raised.

ok
cassie234
hey all im in my second year of uni (finishing in may) and whilst i have been on the course i have been sexually discriminated against, bullied by a teacher (along with another student) :mad: plus our uni is really unorganised and doesnt have equipment or enough staff....

Most student unions have some sort of advice service that's independent of the university. This should be your first port-of-call.
Reply 8
Your university has a Quality Manual. You should be able to find this by using the search facility or the A-Z on your university web-site. In this, you'll find the procedure for making complaints, whether they be related to academic or other events. Follow this procedure as best you can, and you should get it sorted. If not, follow up the complaint you made to the Office of the Independent Adjudicator for Higher Education with another letter detailing the procedures you've gone through.

Don't worry about any repercussions, and if you're seriously worried that the marking of your work may be affected, then ensure that your work is marked anonymously - this is usually recommended to departments, but not always a requirement. This would be something to take up with your course/school rep as a matter of urgency if you want it sorted!

If the above confused you, get in touch with the student advice centre in your Students' Union, and they can guide you through everything :smile:

One key element is that for it to be considered seriously and fully, you need to give as much detail as possible throughout. Saying you've been sexually harassed is a start - describing in what way, for how long, when, where, with what audience and how you've responded is tonnes better for your story.
Reply 9
hi, thanks for the replies....
Heres a bit of info about why i want to complain:
I applied to be on a Music Performance course (along with another student), 5days before it started they cancelled it (didnt notify me) and my old college tutor heard about it and let me know....then i was called in by my old head of year and he said that this cours im on now "sound production and music technology" would involve performing a lot, a lot of hands on work and that we would be doing a lot of live sound (where we were told that we would rig up the equipment and put on lots of performances)
this was not the case at all, we only did three live sound gigs within the two years and the college/uni tried to cancel those (but made it very difficult with borrowing equipment) which nearly led us to fail.
Our tutors NEVER turned up to our three gigs which he was supposed to be marking for a practical.
A the beginning of the course i was upset and wanted to quit as we were studying "electronics" (in which i had no experience with) and we were asked various questions, which i tried to answer but got them wrong, so my tutor asked me and another student to stand up and asked us them again, as we didnt understand he mocked us basically telling us that we couldnt do it in front of everyone.

To which i rang my head tutor (who was the electronics lecturer) and told him that i wanted to quit, he then admitted to me on the phone that the only reason i was there was because it looks great to have a female on the course and to boost numbers; he also stated that I should have never been put on the course as i dont have the experience/knowledge!!!
He then said to me that I havent given the course long enough to get used to, i discussed this with my parents and they aggreed.
So I went in for a few more weeks, my head tutor rang me and asked if i could help out for the open evenings saying again that it always looks great to have a female on the course......

He also mocked other students calling one "tubby" (not to his face but to the rest of the class).

Then we had to arrange a piece of music on a computer (a different lecturer) and i completed my work, i caled my tutor over to listen.
He did and told me to delete it as he hated it and it was rubbish.....and that he knew that becuase he was a doctor......Well I stuck to my work and got a merit for it.

now this year (year 2) we have got to write our dissertation, i turned up to the lecture to find the same lecture that we had for the computer work.
I chose my subject area of research and found a "dissertation tutor" (my old music teacher) and came up with a title, some types of research and wrote out a plan of what i wanted to do.....to which he shouted at me in front of my class "delete it, you will never pass with that!"

its making me feel uncomfortable and not wanting to go in.....
sorry for the long essay but its hard to know what to do :frown:

Also it is uni of essex (southend)
Reply 10
Hi,

As you're saying it's a two year degree delivered in Southend and you're saying college in your posts, is this some sort of foundation degree delivered on behalf of Essex by a college? If so, rather than just complaining locally, you should make sure you send your complaint to Essex university itself. It seems like a lot of FE colleges are trying to deliver HE courses on the cheap. A relation is doing a foundation degree at Blackpool college that's validated by UCLAN and to say it's awful is an understatement. No resources, less than 4 hours a week tuition in first year, no access to journals etc - it's basically a lower level than the BTec she did there and taught by the same people - anyway she's complaining and found that the college ignored her, but that UCLAN were very interested to discover how rubbish it was, and have been very helpful. Just in case it's a similar situation for you, I thought that might help.
cassie234
god i sound so moany! but i'm in £8000+ debt and i just want my complaint to be handled properly.

I havent complained to my uni as im worried i might suffer from some repercussions.

does anyone know where i can complain to (other than to my uni) please? :confused:

any info, help and tips for complaining would be great!!

thanks a lot!!! :biggrin:

Which uni??
Reply 12
University of Essex, based in southend on sea.....

The Uni has a separate building and staff but our course is based in the college wth college staff :-S
Reply 13
I currently have a complaint with the OIA. I made a written complaint against a teacher in 2007. They have done everything in their power, including threats menace, blackmail, libel and slander etc, to shut me up. As I am 63 and already have 2 degrees I am in a position to fight. I had 3 months to do to complete my final project and I was a borderline 1st. I wanted to go on to do a PhD.
They made it impossible for me to complete my final project and meet the OIA's timetable. I chose future students. I have nothing to gain from making my complaint. Now I have nothing to do I want to help stop the abuse by the unis. I know that there must be thousands of students out there who have been treated as I have and worse and I want it stopped.
Right the first thing you have to do before you complain is get evidence. Take photos, get stats eg no of students to a computer etc. You need to speak to fellow students and get them to make statements (record and tell them when you have done it and try to get them to sign a written statement. Try to get a recording of the teacher bully.
Once you have that I will help you with the next step. If you need your degree, concentrate on that now. The uni rules should give you at least 3 years to make your complaint. Do it before you get your results.
You need to go through the university's complaints procedures first - they will have several stages, so you go to the department first, then the school, then someone independent of any school. After that you will be issued with a 'Completion of Procedures' which you need to complain to the OIA.
I am currently awaiting the response of a Stage 3 complaint (to independent person at uni) and fully expect to have to take it to the OIA - which has to be within 3 months of the date on your CoP letter.
Reply 15
Installation

As far as i'm aware there is no such thing as an ombudsman for universities. In fact, i'm pretty sure.
Reply 16
Cassie
Apologies. Time period should read 3 months not 3 years. Please get in touch on Mod edit: please do not post your e-mail address on the public forum.

Mandy please also get in touch.

If we work together and help each other we have more power.
lol2003
As far as i'm aware there is no such thing as an ombudsman for universities. In fact, i'm pretty sure.

There is - it's official title is "Office of the Independent Adjudicator for Higher Education". Its website is here.
Reply 18
Cassie and Mandy
This site has blocked my email address. I cannot find anything in their "rules" that says you cannot put your email address in post but I have only gone through it quickly. Ironically from the above posting you appear to be able to put a website link in. I am going to set up a website. Can you get to me through facebook. My name is Denise Elliott.
Antiabuse
Cassie and Mandy
This site has blocked my email address. I cannot find anything in their "rules" that says you cannot put your email address in post but I have only gone through it quickly. Ironically from the above posting you appear to be able to put a website link in. I am going to set up a website. Can you get to me through facebook. My name is Denise Elliott.

:fyi: You can PM your email address if you really want to - just click on their name above and select "send a private message". If enabled, you could also go to their profiles and click "send a message via email". The main reason it's bad to post email addresses on the forum is because it's very public and you'll probably get loads of spambots signing the address up for spam!

Latest

Trending

Trending