Turn on thread page Beta

How is everyone spending Boxing Day? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    How is everyone spending it?

(and why do they call it "Boxing Day" anyway?? I've always wondered...)

ReputationRep:
    Relatives around. Few sets of aunts and uncles etc.

ReputationRep:
    my nan and grandad are coming over for lunch today

i dont know why its called boxing day, someone told me once but i forgot!

x x x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serendipity)
    How is everyone spending it?

(and why do they call it "Boxing Day" anyway?? I've always wondered...)
    Something to do with the sport- i think there always used to be a fight today.

ReputationRep:
    The day after Christmas Day, 26th December, is called Boxing Day. The name goes back to medieval times when alms boxes were placed at the back of every church door to collect money for the poor. The alms boxes were always opened on 26th December, which is why it is called boxing day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ralfskini)
    Something to do with the sport- i think there always used to be a fight today.
    *sees the light* cheers ralf.

I'm off to my Boyfriend's house today - pretty daunting as there'll be about 20 of his rowdy family as opposed to the 4 there would have been if i was staying at home...wish me luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sassy_j)
    The day after Christmas Day, 26th December, is called Boxing Day. The name goes back to medieval times when alms boxes were placed at the back of every church door to collect money for the poor. The alms boxes were always opened on 26th December, which is why it is called boxing day.
    Oh. Well now i'm confused. Is that definately why? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Looks as though I'll be spending the day at home, awaiting the Office. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    i dont know, i just found it on the net?

have you met all of your bfs family beforee?

x x x

ReputationRep:
    *sees the light* cheers ralf.

I'm off to my Boyfriend's house today - pretty daunting as there'll be about 20 of his rowdy family as opposed to the 4 there would have been if i was staying at home...wish me luck!

My grandad told me this but he is a practical joker and was probably taking the piss.

ReputationRep:
    I am not doing much at all. I will do some more work on my assignment and try and get that damn total working on my shopping basket. Then I will go and take some pictures of the work they are doing near me for the new metrolink spur.

I will also watch some more of my Teaches series on DVD.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to town, lets just hope the shops are open....

SALES!

Don't worry, I'm not that obsessed with sales.

ReputationRep:
    i dont know, i just found it on the net?

have you met all of your bfs family beforee?

x x x
    Some - but all his rowdy cousins and their bfs/gfs are coming over. And his brothers scare me. and all his family are so nice i'm scared they'll think i'm weird, lol :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemgems89)

Don't worry, I'm not that obsessed with sales.
    Yeh right!!! Im going in tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    damn, i dont get paid again until january and i spent all my wages on christmas pressies and minor debts to my dad and bro!

all the good stuff will be taken

i need to get a credit card, lol!

i tink my mum and dad mite kill me tho, iv already got a dorothy perkins card

x x x

ReputationRep:
    I always thought that it was called boxing day because in medieval times, Masters used to give their slaves presents today, in small boxes.

ReputationRep:
    Some - but all his rowdy cousins and their bfs/gfs are coming over. And his brothers scare me. and all his family are so nice i'm scared they'll think i'm weird, lol :eek:

why would they think you are weird?

you seem perfectly normal to me

x x x

ReputationRep:
    People generally rest hangovers, see relatives, and finish remains of Christmas dinner! I'm bored, and I've only been up for an hour and a half.

ReputationRep:
    why would they think you are weird?

you seem perfectly normal to me

x x x
    Lol i don't think they'll really think i'm wierd, just coming from a smaller family i'm not as rowdy as they are...plus i'm small, i'll get lost in the throng!!

I get nervous around his family, they're all really good looking, lol
    Oh well, should be interesting

ReputationRep:
    I was under the impression that it didn't have anything to do with boxes. I'm sure someone told me that recently...
    Maybe there are regional variations to the meaning!

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.