Turn on thread page Beta

The Biggest problem with comprehensive schools watch

ReputationRep:
    I hope this in the right subforum.

Anyway I attended a couple of comprehensive schools one was in my area, a nice respect comprehensive school in an almost countryside setting.

My second was an innercity school in Moss Side. The teachers at my first school were stuck up and only cared about the brightest students, I had a couple of medical problems that hindered my sucess and the teachers could not provide the extra help I needed.

My parents took me out of that school and I ended up going to an innercity one. The teachers had time for me none academicaly but thats it.

Acemedicaly I wasn't pushed at all, I had to convince most my teachers to let me take higher tear, they would not let anybody in the school take higher tear I.T which is pathetic as I knew I would get an A.

I feel badly let down from an acemedic point of view from my school, this meant that I didn't believe in myslef, teachers constantly told me I would scrape through my GCSEs may get a couple of C's in if I was lucky.

Anyway come results day I get 5 C's and 4 D's this is much more than I expected. I went to college doing an AVCE intead of GNVW Intermediate I was by far the best student on my AVCE course and there were people there from much better schools than myself.

Now I am at university and I am probably in the top quarter now. I consider myself to be doing well and I am look foward to doing a part time masters degree when I graduate.

I was fortunate to realise that I could put things right and I did, my medical problems are no longer such and things are looking much better.

I guess this thread is just a big ramble but the main point is that if my comprehensive school had pushed me I know I could have got much better grades than I did. I did howver get an alternative education during my time at that school. It made me realise just how well of my family were.

ReputationRep:
    There are two problems I see...

The first being that the management just wants people to get the required 5 A*-C GCSE passes, so they can look fine, no need to push the C student to a B standard. However they may find it more beneficial to push the best students to get all A*'s/A's as that looks good?

Also, if you get a bad set of teachers that really don't care, I think alot of how much your pushed, and how well you do comes down to your teacher. The best teachers will get there students working at there best potential - no doubt.

ReputationRep:
    It is a problem. But in no ways does that mean that the comprehensive schools are any better or worse than grammars or independent. It's just a problem that needs to be tackled.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happysunshine)
    It is a problem. But in no ways does that mean that the comprehensive schools are any better or worse than grammars or independent. It's just a problem that needs to be tackled.
    I think grammar/independant schools have all the best teachers that WILL get the best out of a student though...hence they are better...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)
    I think grammar/independant schools have all the best teachers that WILL get the best out of a student though...hence they are better...
    Yes that is true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)
    yes, they are better than comprehensives.

ReputationRep:
    I think what annoys me the most is the fact that I used to think I was quite thick but seeing as the average pass rate for my course at college was a U and I got an AB I just don't see how that is the case. I am so glad I went college otherwise I would be working in a factory for the rest of my life thinking I was a school failure.

I am even half considering teaching myself.

I just can't help thinking so many clever people may have been left in the cold and don't realise their potential.

My sister goes to a grammar school and she always gets straight A's in everything she does. However she hasn't seen the otherside of it, she thinks we are poor and its not fair that my parents have no money etc, where as on the other hand I can see that my dad has a half decent job, we live in a good house in a good area, just because my dad can't afford to buy us cars for christmas it dosn';t mean we are in anyway poor. At least we got presents yesterday, many people in the country got nothing not even central heating to keep them warm.

ReputationRep:
    The thing is people here expect an education at comprehensives which is about 80% teaching and 20% your own work. It is up to YOU to work, you are educated and whether you want to take it, then that's up to the student. There are many comprehensive students who don't go to great state schools but come out with 10A grades and this is because both the teacher and the pupil have worked hard. People make out teachers don't care about pupils getting A grades and A* grades - they do but you cannot expect them to do all the work.

ReputationRep:
    I never had any incentive to work though thats half the problem. We were basicaly told at school none of you are good enough for university etc. I did to revise as I thought it would be stupid to mess it up but I know I could have done more work if I wanted too.

As soon as I went to college and got some incentive I worked really hard, some days I didn't even have a spare moment to myself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    I never had any incentive to work though thats half the problem. We were basicaly told at school none of you are good enough for university etc. I did to revise as I thought it would be stupid to mess it up but I know I could have done more work if I wanted too.

As soon as I went to college and got some incentive I worked really hard, some days I didn't even have a spare moment to myself.
    It would be fair to say you may have to work a lot harder than people at good schools, but it is possible to succeed.

Anyway, I'm glad you are doing well now.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.