The Student Room Group

Its painful to remove tampons.

I use applicator tampons if it makes any difference?

Basically I put a tampon in this morning but clearly it was the wrong one because within two hours I was leaking everywhere. So I went to change itbut pulling it out was so painful! Its always realy painful no matter how full the tampon is.

What am i doing wrong??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm going to bump becase this took a while to get approved. However I'll add more details if it helps.

I noticed when a tampon gets full, it moves down my vagina if that makes sense? I can sometimes see it at the opening. I don't know why it does this because I definately put it up far enough. I know its done this becase i begin to get little pains like I'm pulling it out.

It hurts to get past my actual opening. I'm a virgin, does that really make a difference? I was considering losing my virginity soon bt if I have so much trouble using tampons... its going to hurt like hell :eek3:
It's likely that becuase you're a virgin you have a smaller opening due to the hymen covering part of it. However, you can try pulling out the tampons at different angles (when you insert a tampon you push it towards the small of your back - so when you take it out instead of pulling it straight down pull it more at an angle towards the front of your body)

The more you use them the easier it'll be, and the more you'll slightly stretch it ready for losing your virginity. Some pain is normal - before I had sex I found it uncomfortable (especially the super ones and I wouldn't dare try the super super ones!) so I think you're OK. You should always give your body a bit of a tampon break too so you can use pads if you don't want the pain of it.

Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 3
I just tried pulling it out at the correct angle but it didnt really make much difference.

Can anyone recommend tampons I could change to? I use Lillets compact applicator. Maybe there aren't the best though as they expand width ways so it is thicker to pull out of the small hole which makes it more painful maybe? Sorry to be graphic lol. I was thinking of trying tampax but the thought of it expanding legnth ways and touching my cervix scares me :s-smilie:
I have exactly the same problem! I didn't use them before I had sex, so I don't know if it makes a difference, but I imagine it does.

This happens even when the tampon is leaking for me too, even though I always pull it out very slowly at the correct angle. I think it's because the blood goes down the middle of the tampon rather than the outsides, so it feels like it's dry.
Anonymous
I just tried pulling it out at the correct angle but it didnt really make much difference.

Can anyone recommend tampons I could change to? I use Lillets compact applicator. Maybe there aren't the best though as they expand width ways so it is thicker to pull out of the small hole which makes it more painful maybe? Sorry to be graphic lol. I was thinking of trying tampax but the thought of it expanding legnth ways and touching my cervix scares me :s-smilie:

Tampax tampons don't expand lengthways and they would never go up far enough to touch your cervix! Don't worry. I have your problem with Tampax tampons though.
I use Tampax super. The one coloured orange on the box :P
They're pretty good, Super absorbent and each one comes with an applicator as well.
As for the tampon getting full.. I've experienced that, it's uncomfortable. It sometimes feels like that too if I've not inserted it all the way up. I just suggest you use another one and reinsert properly
Anonymous
I was considering losing my virginity soon bt if I have so much trouble using tampons... its going to hurt like hell :eek3:

But when you lose your virginity you'll be turned on... makes a hell of a lot of difference :smile:
Reply 8
I'm the opposite, it actually feels good to pull them out!...slightly odd
All I can suggest is going for a smaller tampon... lillets? If you have heavy periods maybe you're just best to sticking to pads otherwise the smaller tampons won't be useful
Reply 9
I have lightish/average periods usually because I'm on the pill (in order to regulate my periods and help period pain). I tend to stick to light or normal tampons.

I think the problem is my hymen to be honest, if I use a mirror I can see it get stuck behind the skin.

Is it possible to break my hymen? If I went to see my doctor, could she cut it or something or should I just wait until I lose my virginity even though it'll hurt like hell... :s-smilie:
Reply 10
I wouldn't really un-naturally break your hymen - it will break naturally or when you have sex. I'd leave it.

Do you HAVE to wear tampons?

Also, when I first used tampons I would use a mirror and put vaseline around the hole to make it easier to slide it - I used to be really really tight so it would be painful. So maybe put vaseline on the tampon before inserting it with you fingers (I find the applicator doesn't do the trick) and that way it would slide in easier and therefore slide out easier too? :smile:
Reply 11
Have you tried using tampax pearl? I found they were much easier to use than the normal applicator ones, if those are the ones you're using that is.
Anonymous
I have lightish/average periods usually because I'm on the pill (in order to regulate my periods and help period pain). I tend to stick to light or normal tampons.

I think the problem is my hymen to be honest, if I use a mirror I can see it get stuck behind the skin.

Is it possible to break my hymen? If I went to see my doctor, could she cut it or something or should I just wait until I lose my virginity even though it'll hurt like hell... :s-smilie:

Heya :smile:

I have this problem, but it's a lot worse than yours - it has taken me up to an hour before to get the tampon out, because the tampon gets caught on the hymen. I've looked it up and I have something called a "septate hymen" - maybe this is what you have? Google it for some info. If this is what you have, I think your GP can sort it out. I don't really want to do that so I've just stopped wearing tampons and hope when I have sex it will sort itself out. :smile:
I use tampax compak and never have any problems with these. i always had problems with the really cheap supermarket cardboard applicater ones, though that was going in and out (sorry if thats a bit graphic!) maybe just try a couple of other brands or use a bit of lube? if its that much trouble though maybe you should stick to pads.
Reply 14
sniffany
I wouldn't really un-naturally break your hymen - it will break naturally or when you have sex. I'd leave it.

Do you HAVE to wear tampons?

Also, when I first used tampons I would use a mirror and put vaseline around the hole to make it easier to slide it - I used to be really really tight so it would be painful. So maybe put vaseline on the tampon before inserting it with you fingers (I find the applicator doesn't do the trick) and that way it would slide in easier and therefore slide out easier too? :smile:

Don't use vaseline, use a water based lubricant -like KY jelly. Vaseline messes up all your ph balances and can increase the likeliness of infections.
*bump*

I find the tampon sliding back down no matter how far I put it in, which makes me all dry and sore at the opening.

(sorry/warning: too much information)
I still have hymenal remnants despite my boyfriend having a VERY large member and having used tampons since I was 12 (started menstruating at 9/10

This is causing alot of irritation... Even just the string is burning me now. I had an IUD fitted 3 weeks ago and have been bleeding HEAVILY since so a new tampon every few hours and I am just getting all dry and sore even with Tampax pearl.

If you google vulvar vestibulitis, that's pretty much my problem/what's going on there. Vagina getting irritated and closing up completely. It was like this before I lost my virginity too, I think all the natural bumps, ridges and poly-type frilly bits I have just keep getting squished and pinched all the time.

Every time I go to pee or whatever it hurts feeling my pelvic muscles bear down around the tampon and it trying to slip out but getting stuck.. I try to push it back in and end up pinching the inflamed vestibule bits/hymen between my finger and the tampon itself plus it hurts my bladder/back passage. I'm convinced I have some degree of prolapse but the GYN wasnt paying any much attention to me and didn't even tell me I'd bleed for weeks after the IUD hence me needing so many goddam tampons in the first place!!!!!!!!!!!

Removing the tampon is HELL. What I am sure is the urethral meatus/sponge is getting in the way. The tampon gets stuck behind it and this damn thing is attached to my pubic bone, WTF am I suppose to do? UM on the to and half my hymen blocking the way on the bottom and the vestibular swelling ALL THE WAY AROUND.

I can't not wear tampons either because when I wear pads, even when I change them super regularly, my own blood burns/irritates me within minutes.

For some reason, all lube burns aswell.

I'd try the mooncup but anything near my cervix has spelled disaster for me in the past.. Right now as I sit there it is just burning, stinging and wondering whether to go try and change it or face the pain of putting it back in.

AAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGG

/rant

I needed that.
I used to find tampons extremely painful when pulling them out and like others have said, i wouldn't dare use the massive super ones! However, i lost my virginity a couple of months ago (unfortunately it was a very painful experience but my boyfriend was very understanding and "looked after me" for want of a better phrase!) and ever since i have found it a lot easier and a lot less painful to use tampons. After "practicing" sex a lot i got less and less pain to the point where now it is enjoyable, rather than painful (lol, how it should be) and using tampons is now a lot easier. So don't worry, it gets better! A good tip also is when you're pulling out the tampon, push your pelvic floor muscles door, i find it helps to push it out (i guess how you would push out a baby, but on a much smaller scale ofc!)
Reply 17
Are you just starting to wear tampons? When I first started using them, it hurt to take them out. After about 2 or 3 periods the pain went away. You shouldn't continue to feel pain. I'd say check out a doctor if it still hurts after 6 or so periods. When you pull them out, be sure to pull quickly so it ends faster. Do not clench your muscles (I actually find myself doing that on accident sometimes) because that will make it tougher to take out. It takes a long time to get used to tampons for most people, so it's totally normal. :]
Also, there's a huge misconception about hymens. Your hymen cannot break, but it can tear. If you would like more information on that, I highly recommend going on youtube and searching "hymen" and choose the video done by lacigreen. She's excellent. (I promise it is not a graphic video; it's only informational).
The kind of tampon you use shouldn't really be an issue. I use tampax and I've never had a problem with them. I've heard that cardboard applicator's are super painful, and not only during the application. Make sure you use a plastic applicator. You can try putting vaseline, olive oil, or some other sort of safe lubrication to the applicator to make it a little less dry down there. Usually you feel pain when you're too dry (at least that's the case for me), which is kind of ironic when you're on your period, but just trust me. :] I really hope this helps, good luck!
Reply 18
Original post by marisol9
Are you just starting to wear tampons? When I first started using them, it hurt to take them out. After about 2 or 3 periods the pain went away. You shouldn't continue to feel pain. I'd say check out a doctor if it still hurts after 6 or so periods. When you pull them out, be sure to pull quickly so it ends faster. Do not clench your muscles (I actually find myself doing that on accident sometimes) because that will make it tougher to take out. It takes a long time to get used to tampons for most people, so it's totally normal. :]
Also, there's a huge misconception about hymens. Your hymen cannot break, but it can tear. If you would like more information on that, I highly recommend going on youtube and searching "hymen" and choose the video done by lacigreen. She's excellent. (I promise it is not a graphic video; it's only informational).
The kind of tampon you use shouldn't really be an issue. I use tampax and I've never had a problem with them. I've heard that cardboard applicator's are super painful, and not only during the application. Make sure you use a plastic applicator. You can try putting vaseline, olive oil, or some other sort of safe lubrication to the applicator to make it a little less dry down there. Usually you feel pain when you're too dry (at least that's the case for me), which is kind of ironic when you're on your period, but just trust me. :] I really hope this helps, good luck!

Also I would like to point out that the only reason you should need the doctor to surgically remove skin from the area is when you can't find the hole and/or cannot insert anything into it.
Another myth is that you can put it in at the incorrect angle. It is physically impossible to put it in at the wrong angle unless you're attempting to put it in horizontally...which is just silly. People think that the vagina is just a continuous gaping hole but it's not; it conforms to whatever you put in there. That's why it expands for tampons and sex. So, you're not putting it in at the wrong angle nor are you pulling it out at the wrong angle. :]
If you're leaking and it's sliding back down it sound like you're just using a tampon that's too small to stay up there properly and absorb everything it needs to. Light tampons tend to be quite thin and I remember a time when I had the same problem as you. Have you tried a different size? Just because your periods are light doesn't meant you can't use a larger tampon, even though they're meant for heavier periods they'll stay up there better and may prevent leakages.

Also if leaking is a serious problem for you I'd suggest wearing a pantiliner with a tampon to prevent any embarrassing situations.

Quick Reply

Latest