Damien Rice or James Blunt? Watch

This discussion is closed.
SamTheMan
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by smeets)
It's hard to call, IMHO. They both seem pretty manic to me. Good music to listen to if you're in that kind of mood. Can't imagine going out to see them live and coming home feeling anything other than depressed.
James Blunt's music isn't particularly depressing. However, Damien Rice, who has the particularlity of singing with his ex who rejected him, is a totally different kind of experience. He is indeed, a bit messed up. But that's what makes him great.
Wise One
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Jack Johnson.
natcho
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by SamTheMan)
James Blunt's music isn't particularly depressing. However, Damien Rice, who has the particularlity of singing with his ex who rejected him, is a totally different kind of experience. He is indeed, a bit messed up. But that's what makes him great.
Hmm yeah fair point. That said, Mssr Blunt's hit single "You're beautiful" is, at the risk of stating the obvious, a song about a girl he can't have. Pretty depressing shizzle from my point of view...
SamTheMan
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by smeets)
Hmm yeah fair point. That said, Mssr Blunt's hit single "You're beautiful" is, at the risk of stating the obvious, a song about a girl he can't have. Pretty depressing shizzle from my point of view...
It's also about meeting a girl on the "subway", something probably not very personal unless he's been to New York or Boston recently.
zhivago
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Damien Rice by such a huge way. None of his best stuff is on "O" either, which albeit a good album, is now having the hell bummed out of it by 'bandwagoners'. (I'm only pissed about this because all his tracks were remixed! Grrr).

I'm not too excited about his new release, because I reckon that all the material on it will be old that I have bootlegged anyway from live gigs. I'll still buy it though.

But Damo is much better than James Blunt. Although I have only heard 10 songs of Blunt's (his album) and around 6/7 times that for Damo, so perhaps if I hear more of Blunt's stuff (although as I have already said, I found James Blunt's album a little dissapointing, and below the standard of his singles).

As SamTheMan would say, Damo is a victim of 'hype'.
SamTheMan
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Tonight Matthew)
Neither. People into either of those two may well enjoy the likes of Nick Drake, Leonard Cohen, etc. however.
or even Bob Dylan... but if you want more recent singer/songwriters:

Joseph Arthur, Elliott Smith, Tom Mcrae, Ed Harcourt, Emiliana Torrini, Pedro The Lion, Stephen Fretwell, Ryan Adams, Mark Kozelek of Sun Kil Moon, Sufjan Stevens, maybe even Ben & Jason or Willy Mason.

By the way, Tom Mcrae's new album All Maps Welcome is really good. I heard the single "How The West Was Won" on KCRW's Morning Becomes Eclectic and had to get the album. He's easily one of the best British singer/songwriters. Why he hasn't had more recognition than a Mercury Prize nomination remains a mystery to me.

However James Blunt is just the "British" version of artists like Howie Day, Tal Bachmann, Duncan Sheikh, Pete Yorn. For someone who's known those guys for quite a while, James Blunt sounds disappointly unoriginal.
girlafraid
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
damien rice.

the first time i saw james blunt's you're beautiful video i thought they were making fun of coldplay's yellow or something
yo-less
Report 13 years ago
damien rice i think
yo-less
Report 13 years ago
james rice
yorkshirelass
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Both completely interchangable with each other, if you ask me. When I first heard "You're Beautiful" I thought it was Damien Rice. Better singer/songwriters I like right now: Billy Bragg, Willy Mason, Ryan Adams, Patrick Wolf, Emmylou Harris, Liam Frost, Sondre Lerche, Ben Kweller, Johnathan Rice, Mason Jennings, Langhorne Slim... just way, way better.
zhivago
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by girlafraid)
damien rice.

the first time i saw james blunt's you're beautiful video i thought they were making fun of coldplay's yellow or something
Lol. Agreed.
Tyler Durden
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Damien Rice. JB's album is distinctly average. It lacks the creativity of Damien Rice's musak.
lou p lou
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
damien rice by a mile (and then some). i think he sounds like he really cares about what he's singing, it's got a real kind of passion to it (especially true of his life perfomances- BBC4 did a session with him and he was so totally absorbed in his songs), james blunt just sounds like he's jumping on the bandwagon- she's beautiful is just him whining about a random girl he sees who he'll never sleep with.

lou xxx
Annik
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
(Original post by SamTheMan)
It's also about meeting a girl on the "subway", something probably not very personal unless he's been to New York or Boston recently.
Thats what i dont understand.. in the paper, it says the song is about his ex gf... It sounds to me like the ex gf just wishes it was bout her! :confused:
zhivago
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Annik)
Thats what i dont understand.. in the paper, it says the song is about his ex gf... It sounds to me like the ex gf just wishes it was bout her! :confused:

Lol. Yep. Like that freaky tacky girl, "Frankie" (she sooo ruined that name! :p: ) singing about that Eamon guy. I bet she'd never even met him. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?!
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1636)
78.92%
Leave (437)
21.08%

Watched Threads