The Student Room Group

why are some symbols banned but not others?

why is the white pride world wide celtic cross is not allowed yet a communist symbol is allowed.is it illegal to be proud to be white now?yet its alrite for gap PRIDE marches.whats wrong with being proud to be white?how is it racist?

as for the communist flag 18 million people dies under communism yet that flag is allowed,that flag represents the harshness and brutality of the soviet union yet this is tolerated
what next the union jack will be banned cus you cant be proud to be british?

Scroll to see replies

"one should not assume that an image necessarily denotes racism or white supremacy, but should rather analyze the symbol in the context in which it appears."
Reply 2
twokeyalexe
why is the white pride world wide celtic cross is not allowed yet a communist symbol is allowed.is it illegal to be proud to be white now?yet its alrite for gap PRIDE marches.whats wrong with being proud to be white?how is it racist?

as for the communist flag 18 million people dies under communism yet that flag is allowed,that flag represents the harshness and brutality of the soviet union yet this is tolerated
what next the union jack will be banned cus you cant be proud to be british?

I find myself agreeing with you, I dont see why the Swastika is banned, an ethnic symbol is not allowed, yet the Soviet hammer and sickle is proudly displayed.
When I see a hammer and sickle I don't immediately think of Stalinism, I think of worker's revolution, whereas when I see a swatstika I think of Nazi death camps. Why? Don't know. Relevance of this post? Probably none.
THe sickle and hammer has no racist connotations, and isn't used ina racist manner.
Like islam,communism itself never preached to kill and imprison all those who opposed, or to subject everyone to abject poverty. THat came though the maligne intentions of the leaders of the state and their crones.

That said the hammer and sickle does strike a tender chord in those who suffered in the soviet state for many years like lithuania, czech republic etc.
Reply 5
Another ridiculous poll. Big Whoop.

It is rascist to be white, because you are differentiating between races. This is not, however, inherantly a bad thing for that specific reason. I personally think that being white is just a stupid thing to be proud of, because it is simply an accident of birth.
cheesecakebobby
When I see a hammer and sickle I don't immediately think of Stalinism, I think of worker's revolution, whereas when I see a swatstika I think of Nazi death camps. Why? Don't know. Relevance of this post? Probably none.

its completely valid.

Likei said in my originalpost - its not just about the symbol but the context they are used.
the hammer and sickle here is used to denote very left wing attitude. Not a desire to imprison, kill and exile all thsoe whom would oppose you.
THe white supremeist symbols are not used in the same way.
Reply 7
I put NO it is not racist to be white BUT think about it wouldnt it be VERY stupid to be proud of being white as 1) its just a colour hence i could easily say im proud to be brown 2) the colour one is, is pure coincidence of nature/God and so cannot denote anything to be 'proud' of.

With regard to the sickle and harmmer, it is not just a communist party icon it symbolises the rise of the workers etc etc.. (let the History dons to write more abt it if relevant). The nazi swastika is banned (didnt know it was) due to it racial extremist connotations (incidentally it was a Hindu symbol!) and what the Nazi perpetuated.

Mandeep
Reply 8
Jamie
THe sickle and hammer has no racist connotations, and isn't used ina racist manner.
Like islam,communism itself never preached to kill and imprison all those who opposed, or to subject everyone to abject poverty. THat came though the maligne intentions of the leaders of the state and their crones.

You might want to read a thing or two about the "dictatorship of the proletariat" that communism believes in.
Bismarck
You might want to read a thing or two about the "dictatorship of the proletariat" that communism believes in.

http://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1847/11/prin-com.htm
"Communism is the doctrine of the conditions of the liberation of the proletariat."
dictatorshipof the proletariat. porletariat is basically the masses yes?
so what is democracy if it isn't power in the hands of the people..?

Communism is a lovely idea, but can never work because its human nature to want more for one self and our families. Hell its what drives us forward as a species.
Reply 10
Vienna
I find myself agreeing with you, I dont see why the Swastika is banned, an ethnic symbol is not allowed, yet the Soviet hammer and sickle is proudly displayed.

Actually the Swastika originated from a Native American symbol.
Jamie
It was pretty well inevitable and Marx and Engels knew this--the mass murder of ethnic groups who got in the way of the Communist agenda were foreseen and welcomed by all Communist thinkers. It's a necessary element in putting in to practise the 'philosophy'. From the marxwords blog (tsr doesn't allow links to blogs)

Karl Marx in the New York Tribune 1853, "Forced Emigration": "Society is undergoing a silent revolution, which must be submitted to, and which takes no more notice of the human existences it breaks down than an earthquake regards the houses it subverts. The classes and the races, too weak to master the new conditions of life, must give way.

ENGELS DIDN'T THINK ALL RACES WERE EQUAL

He thought the Yugoslavs in particular deserved to be wiped out .... Hmmmm

"Among all the nations and sub-nations of Austria, only three standard-bearers of progress took an active part in history, and are still capable of life -- the Germans, the Poles and the Magyars. Hence they are now revolutionary. All the other large and small nationalities and peoples are destined to perish before long in the revolutionary world storm.

Such, in Austria, are the pan-Slavist Southern Slavs, who are nothing but the human trash of peoples, resulting from an extremely confused thousand years of development.

The next world war will result in the disappearance from the face of the earth not only of reactionary classes and dynasties, but also of entire reactionary peoples. And that, too, is progress.
Reply 12
Jamie
http://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1847/11/prin-com.htm
"Communism is the doctrine of the conditions of the liberation of the proletariat."
dictatorshipof the proletariat. porletariat is basically the masses yes?
so what is democracy if it isn't power in the hands of the people..?

The dictatorship of the proletariat means that the proletariat should destroy anyone who opposes communism. This is in essence a call for genocide against the bourgeosie.
Bismarck
The dictatorship of the proletariat means that the proletariat should destroy anyone who opposes communism. This is in essence a call for genocide against the bourgeosie.

do democratic countries ever make moves against those countries or people they view as un-democratic..?

I'm not saying communism was this great thing. but i think its unfair to compare it with nazism with regards to the symbolism.

we are getting side tracked. this was meant to be a thread dedicated to whinging that white supremisist slogans and symbols should be allowed. :rolleyes:

incidently it isn't without note that no one has EVER complained about finding the sickle and hammer offensive nor racist before, yet we had immediate complaints about the nazi symbols.
Reply 14
Jamie
incidently it isn't without note that no one has EVER complained about finding the sickle and hammer offensive nor racist before, yet we had immediate complaints about the nazi symbols.

I think the tens of millions who were murdered by communist regimes and the billion and a half who were oppresssed by them do find the sickle and hammer offensive.
Reply 15
Bismarck
I think the tens of millions who were murdered by communist regimes and the billion and a half who were oppresssed by them do find the sickle and hammer offensive.

But it's not the same as genocide, in the context of racial extermination. That was a political war, not the same as planning out the deliberate slaughter of millions of people of particular ethnicities.
Bismarck

apolgies, as i pointed out earlier the former soviet bloc countries like lithuania find it offensive.

what i meant to say in mypost is no-one HERE finds it offensive.
if they had they would have objected when they saw it on people's avatars - just like people would hastily complain if a nazi symbol appeared in someones.
Reply 17
SlyPie
But it's not the same as genocide, in the context of racial extermination. That was a political war, not the same as planning out the deliberate slaughter of millions of people of particular ethnicities.

It was a war against a section of the population whose aim was the total extermination of this population. Genocide need not be committed against a race. Any group will do.
Reply 18
Jamie
apolgies, as i pointed out earlier the former soviet bloc countries like lithuania find it offensive.

what i meant to say in mypost is no-one HERE finds it offensive.
if they had they would have objected when they saw it on people's avatars - just like people would hastily complain if a nazi symbol appeared in someones.

I think there are far more people in this forum who were harmed by communist regimes than by Nazi ones. In fact, I doubt a single person here was harmed by a Nazi regime.
Reply 19
Bismarck
I think there are far more people in this forum who were harmed by communist regimes than by Nazi ones. In fact, I doubt a single person here was harmed by a Nazi regime.

That's just ridiculous....nazism was present in one country during the 40s wheareas communism was widespread throughout the globe even in recent decades..

Latest

Trending

Trending