I was told that I am able to study this combination of subjects:

A2 Maths
    A2 Physics
    A2 Chemistry
    A2 Biology

AS Further Maths
    AS Geography

(All Edexcel)

But was also warned that it's gonna be a very heavy load with no free periods at all. I don't really mind about free periods, though. I just wonder if I can handle it.

I'm interested in all the subjects (so far), but can't predict what's it gonna be at A-level.

Questions:
    1. Can those who's done A-levels give me their experiences on the subjects above, especially Geography (EDEXCEL!!!)?

2. Please give me some advice/opinions on this subject combination.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Geography AS in edexcel is pretty easy if you have done it already in GCSE. We basically did the exact same modules but just more details. The exam structure is more or less the same as GCSE, with no essays. The coursework - if you do it- can be a little time consuming because it is a field trip...but once you've got all the data, the write up doesnt take up too much tim.

ReputationRep:
    Also....when it comes to revision it is quite a load..because you have to revise 3 sections of physical and 3 of Human. Tho it is interesting and i enjoyed it, and your subjects do compliment it, such as biology etc. I took subjects which did not have much i common with geography. So for me it was a little harder at times to get my head round.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blah888)

A2 Maths
    A2 Physics
    A2 Chemistry
    A2 Biology

AS Further Maths
    AS Geography

(All Edexcel)

But was also warned that it's gonna be a very heavy load with no free periods at all. I don't really mind about free periods, though. I just wonder if I can handle it.

I'm interested in all the subjects (so far), but can't predict what's it gonna be at A-level.

Questions:
    1. Can those who's done A-levels give me their experiences on the subjects above, especially Geography (EDEXCEL!!!)?

2. Please give me some advice/opinions on this subject combination.

Thanks
    You're not planning to do all of those in one year are you?? lol - just 6 AS first year then 4 A2 the next year right? Well, I would say that that is possible but will require hard work from you esp in L6 (i'm not sure how old you are..) but by A2 that should be fine. However I myself would drop one of those AS - me being biased would drop geography but I suppose it depends on what you wanna do at uni. Seems science/maths related in which case not all that much point doing AS Geography (which I imagine is a fair work-load) - but I haven't done A-Levels yet so I wouldn't know :P

ReputationRep:
    Oh and yeah it's much better to get A-Grades across the board with a fewer number of subjects rather than having taken out too much and get As and Bs - Unis won't like this I imagine

ReputationRep:
    You don't have to deicde until you get your AS results how many and which subjects you want to carry on with to A2, but I definitely wouldn't recommend taking 6 subjects! I took 4 and even that was a lot of work! Personally I'd recommend taking 4/5 ASs and then dropping down to 3/4 A2s, but at the end of the day, it's up to you. If you're confident you can handle all those subjects and get good grades, go for it. You can always drop one or more after a few weeks if it's too much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Ace is Back)
    You're not planning to do all of those in one year are you?? lol - just 6 AS first year then 4 A2 the next year right? Well, I would say that that is possible but will require hard work from you esp in L6 (i'm not sure how old you are..) but by A2 that should be fine. However I myself would drop one of those AS - me being biased would drop geography but I suppose it depends on what you wanna do at uni. Seems science/maths related in which case not all that much point doing AS Geography (which I imagine is a fair work-load) - but I haven't done A-Levels yet so I wouldn't know :P
    Well actually, sometimes variety is good in A-Levels. If you do all the subjects that are very similar, than it does not really show a wide ability. Unis like varieties in subjects. And geography still compliments the subjects but at the same time providing some variety.

Well, I've done Maths AS earlier, so Maths is easy. Further Maths I will do along with the A2s.

ReputationRep:
    so thats 1 A2 and 4 AS's in your first year (if you do maths A2 in L6) and 3 A2's and 1 AS in the second year. sounds pretty doable to me. why geog though :p:

ReputationRep:
    Well, I've done Maths AS earlier, so Maths is easy. Further Maths I will do along with the A2s.
    That's not so bad then. Usually people taking maths and further maths do the whole maths A-level in Year 12, but if you've already done the AS, you'd just be doing the A2. So that's A2 maths, AS biology, AS chemistry, AS physics and AS geography in Year 12, then A2 biology, A2 chemistry, A2 physics and AS further maths in Year 13? Doesn't sound that bad.

ReputationRep:
    The only advice is to do what you believe you can do (potentially)
    Are you willing to give up lots of time to do the work you are given.
    You will not get any free periods and most of the work has to be done at home.
    And watch out for the times where you do coursework for the science subjects. This is the time where pressure really gets to you as its quite a heavy work load. You wont have much time revising either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elspungo)
    Well actually, sometimes variety is good in A-Levels. If you do all the subjects that are very similar, than it does not really show a wide ability. Unis like varieties in subjects. And geography still compliments the subjects but at the same time providing some variety.
    That's true I suppose but I'm sure that variety is a tiny bit over-rated - at the end of the day they're looking to see if you're going to be good at the course of choice, and if that's a sciency/mathsy course i'm sure that having geography as well isn't all that relevant - whereas if the geography was kept there might be a greater chance of not getting such good grades across the board as he would if he dropped it, and grades at A-level do count for quite a bit

I want to Geo to have a bit of variety as a Humanity. That's probably the only reason, to be honest. I've done GCSE Geo and I found it quite easy, and my teacher said A-level Geo is just an expansion of GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    oh ok well in that case I guess there's no other advice to give but study hard!! And don't let the work get to you..

oh ok well in that case I guess there's no other advice to give but study hard!! And don't let the work get to you..
    I'm a hard-worker don't worry. But is that enough?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah - if you work your ass off ;-) Nah i'm kidding should be fine just be sensible, as I'm sure you are. Personally I'd give that geography up but if you insist on keeping it who am I to interfere? :P

If I drop it I might regret it.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah - if you work your ass off ;-) Nah i'm kidding should be fine just be sensible, as I'm sure you are. Personally I'd give that geography up but if you insist on keeping it who am I to interfere? :P
    Well if he is good at geog than there is no real reason to worry, as you are basically saying that he shouldnt take it if he wont get a good grade. And personally I do not think variety is 'overatted'. The majority of his subjects are science based, therefore it is not like he has got half humaties and half science. Thus if he was to take geography, and get a good grade it will look good on uni applications or job applications as he will not be a 'one trick pony'. Plus its not as if he is taking History, Geography is closer realted to science subjects such as biology, and mathematics is needed in the equations in Human Geography. Moreover, you are right blah, geography AS is just an extension of of GCSE, i actually found it a little easier and far more interesting as you go into sligtly more depth. I even done better in my exams..i got a B in GCSE and got an A in AS. So thats basically my case for geography, I took the subject so I may be biased, but I also know wht I'm talking about

ReputationRep:

A2 Maths
    A2 Physics
    A2 Chemistry
    A2 Biology

AS Further Maths
    AS Geography

(All Edexcel)
    I'd say its an awfull lot of work, but possible.

Only do that much if you feel you need too, i'd personally rather drop one or two and try and increase my chances at higher grades.

A2 Maths: I enjoyed this subject, its got the highest workload of any science type subject IMO. But its also very rewarding. Its hardest conceptually aswell. Seeing as your doing further maths it should be ok.

A2 Physics: Ack, quite boring. This is reckoned to be one of the hardest a-levels. I found the workload was a lot less than maths but there is quite alot to remember and it can be quite difficult. The exams seem harder to score marks in than maths.

ReputationRep:
    Geography is a very desireable subject as it involves both science and social skills as well as mathematics and literacy skills. It also teaches analysis and evaluation of sources. There is not a great deal of work at AS but revision is essential. As people have said there are no essay questions maximum 6 to 8 marks for questions.

Chemistry, Biology and Physics will all be pretty hardwork. Many people at my school are dropping one of them at AS because they find the workload exsessive. Further maths would not be too much work as an extra module but with four A2's and geography AS I think that you may be pushing yourself too far. To some universities it would appear as though you do nothing but work!

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.