Turn on thread page Beta

Has anyone not met grades bt still went to firm? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey, Im wondering if there is actually anyone out there as 'proof' that if you do not meet your grades you can still get into your firm choice?? I need to try and decipher myth from reality. And possible give myself an injection of opptimism..or if it is indeed the case dismiss hope

ReputationRep:
    One of my best friends did for Southampton..she dropped a grade for Law and got in.

ReputationRep:
    I didnt get the grades required to do law at Swansea which was my firm offer but i still got a place.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh there will be loadsssssss of people in this situation, more so from lower ranked unis who arent that good and are deperate for people e.g. ^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john williams)
    Yeh there will be loadsssssss of people in this situation, more so from lower ranked unis who arent that good and are deperate for people e.g. ^
    erm, r u saying southampton and swansea are lower ranked unis..?

ReputationRep:
    That's a little insesnsitive, and not really the case, either.

It's more true for undersubscribed courses. My offer for Edinburgh is BBB, whereas my predicted grades are BBC. I reckon I could well have the B, but if I don't, the department told me to email and they'll see what they can do.

York also told me that they would seriously reconsider my application.

Both are good universities. It's the course that isn't so popular, and therefore they are more likely to be able to take me even if I do miss a grade.
    EDIT: though of course I did decline York, so they won't have me. Hm.

ReputationRep:
    Southampton and Swansea are both very good unis!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HistoryStudent)
    Southampton and Swansea are both very good unis!
    No i didnt really mean Southampton, but overal Swansea would be more lenient and let you in with lower grades due to it not being as popular as others. Plus when you use the word "very good" and put both unis in the same category it doesnt tell you much.

ReputationRep:
    I think Swansea is underrrated. Admittedly Southampton is better but still, Swansea is actually a very good uni but people don't really think of it for some reason.

ReputationRep:
    to be honest, my personal tutor at uni told me that unis will accept most people on the courses they ask for as long as they think they will be able to the work. Uni's dont want empty spaces on courses because every student is a paying student at the end of the day.

ReputationRep:
    I have a friend who got in an engineering course at (it was UMIST at the time) Manchester uni and he missed his grades. Loughborough was his 1st and UMIST his 2nd but both are very very very good unis especially for engineering. I think he was meant to get BBC and he got BCDE and an AS' E althought thats prob equal points they were adamant it was grades they were looking for and not overall points. PS they didn't accept any AS's

ReputationRep:
    i was once told by a department teacher at one of myuni days that there they would rather take on someone who has maybe just missed their offer rather than someone through clearing cos the person wh missed the offer would probably do better.

*hopes that happens*

ReputationRep:
    I heard some uni's say that if you dont make your grade, then they look at your teacher's reference, personal statement etc.. But where do they find the time to do this? Have they already got notes on each person, should they miss their grades. Or do they delay a reply until a couple of days after?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by rt6)
    I heard some uni's say that if you dont make your grade, then they look at your teacher's reference, personal statement etc.. But where do they find the time to do this? Have they already got notes on each person, should they miss their grades. Or do they delay a reply until a couple of days after?
    Unis get your results about a week before you do. (This does not mean you can call them and ask for your results though!) They spend that week looking at things and deciding. Ocassionally, they may not have decided by reults day though, and need a few more days.

ReputationRep:
    Thank Juno. Hope it doesnt come down to that in the first place

ReputationRep:
    I dropped a grade and still got in. But i had extenuating circumstances which the university were aware of beforehand and i had evidence to prove it. Good luck, it happens to more people than you might think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXMessedUpXx)
    i was once told by a department teacher at one of myuni days that there they would rather take on someone who has maybe just missed their offer rather than someone through clearing cos the person wh missed the offer would probably do better.

*hopes that happens*
    I got told about that issue by one of the department heads at the university too. I find that a good thing. I hope that happens too. In addition, he also said that if you miss your offer and show an interest in the course and your personal statement, and went to the open day, you would be fine.

What if the person in clearing got better grades/points and met the requirements, and another person chose the university as their firm or insurance choice and missed the offer? Who would they accept? I'm worried about this.

(Original post by rt6)
    Yes, they do take the teacher's reference and personal statement (i.e. whole UCAS application), and sometimes experience if you have any into consideration along with the grades. In addition, I called them about this issue to confirm if they do take the stuff into consideration. They told me that no matter if you met or not met your offer, the personal statement and teacher's reference and experience (if any) will be considered too when making an acceptance or rejection. This is a good thing.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by trev)
    What if the person in clearing got better grades/points and met the requirements, and another person chose the university as their firm or insurance choice and missed the offer? Who would they accept? I'm worried about this.
    Well, the uni gets your results a week early, but wouldn't get a Clearing applicant's until after results day. Therefore it shouldn't really arise, because by then they've chosen whether to accept/reject you, and notified UCAS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    Well, the uni gets your results a week early, but wouldn't get a Clearing applicant's until after results day. Therefore it shouldn't really arise, because by then they've chosen whether to accept/reject you, and notified UCAS.
    That's true.

ReputationRep:
    My boyfriend didn't get the B he needed for Chemistry at York, but to be honest you'll get in with most grades for that subject. There are people there with E grades as I've been told.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.