The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I speak German pretty well, not sure I should go as far as saying I'm fluent but I have a proficiency certificate from the Goethe-Institut. French and English are my mother tongues and I speak reasonably good Spanish.

So languages I'd like to learn would be some Scandinavian languages: Swedish, Norwegian, Danish or Icelandic

and maybe Dutch.
French,Japanese,Chinese(hopefully they're both similar so i dont have to learn too much more otherwise its just japanese then)
Reply 42
japanese and chinese; also swedish.
Reply 43
At the moment, I am doing a "Teach Yourself Dutch" course! It's really good, but I'm having to fit it in with my schoolwork of course! :wink:
I do know quite a bit such as:

Hallo/Hoi: Hello/Hi
Hoe heet je? (pronounced like hoo h-ey-t ye ) : What is your name?
Ik heet... (ik h-ey-t ) : I am called...
Hoe gaat het? (hoo gart hut) : How are you?
Reply 44
afrikaans...

not much use outside of south africa and namibia but nevermind :biggrin:
Reply 45
shushimeng
Hehe Mandarin Chinese is quite easy at the start...it's only when you start with the characters, some people just give up. Don't give up wow, once you understand the system you will find it easy.
Actually I was thinking about learning Russian as well but don't know why I am more drawn towards Japanese and Korean.

Since you are learning Mandarin...要加油!:biggrin:

I'm not quite sure what that says, so far I've been learning the characters for basic things such as mountain, fire, water, sun, moon, big, small etc. Also I've been learning what is meant when a number of characters are put together, such as the 'sun' and 'moon' meaning 'bright'/'time' (poetic) and a 'person' next to a 'tree' means 'to rest' and a 'roof' and 'woman' means 'peace'/'stability'. No matter how much I try to write out a character it never looks exactly the same as it should be...
Reply 46
I study German now so I'd like to keep learning that.

Soooooo wish I could speak Greek :redface: Then I'd bugger off to a Greek island :p:
Reply 47
I really should learn Russian.. since I was born in Moscow, and am fully Russian.. but I stopped speaking it when I was a toddler, and forgot it all (well toddler-speak Russian anyway). Bah
russian, italian, cantonese and swedish
Reply 49
italian, french, chinese, japanese, german, russian, spanish, basically
Reply 50
I did French at A-level but would like to learn Arabic.
Would love to learn how to speak...
Spanish
Italian
Urdu
French
In that order....I can speak English and Arabic fluently and quite abit of Somali (shameful I know :p: )...
Reply 52
So many languages, so little time!
Reply 53
I'd like to learn: Spanish (hopefully studying it up to A-level standard next year!), Mandarin, Portugese, Japanese.....probably won't though!
Reply 54
technik
afrikaans...

not much use outside of south africa and namibia but nevermind :biggrin:

Don't forget Zimbabwe! :biggrin:
Reply 55
German
French
Spanish
Chinese probably.
Reply 56
I can speak pretty good german, well enough to get by, but I reall wanted ot learn French at school. Also Spanish and Italian :smile:

Can I ask, now this isn't a dig at people, but a genuine question. People who learn Latin, and maybe even go on to degrees, is it still used and if it isn't whats the point in taking the time to learn it?
* gemchicken
I can speak pretty good german, well enough to get by, but I reall wanted ot learn French at school. Also Spanish and Italian :smile:

Can I ask, now this isn't a dig at people, but a genuine question. People who learn Latin, and maybe even go on to degrees, is it still used and if it isn't whats the point in taking the time to learn it?

Of course noone speaks it :rolleyes: Except maybe Catholic priests in very old-fasioned church services and even then, I bet they don't understand that much latin anyway... I was in a weird situation in Menorca once. Some Spanish guy and some Greek guy chose to communicate in latin. At the time, I didn't know any latin but they seemed to get by.

I must say that for English speakers, it's less interesting to learn latin than if French, Spanish or Italian are your mother tongues. But if you want to learn a latin language, it helps a lot. It's quite incredible how many very complex words you'd never understand without latin, you'll end up understanding.

To understand some grammatical rules in latin languages, it's quite useful too.

It used to be compulsary for anyone learning medicine to know latin since a lot of latin terms are used.
Reply 58
i'm fluent in french and learning latin and italian. but would really like to learn chinese.
pheebs
i'm fluent in french and learning latin and italian. but would really like to learn chinese.

Ne perds pas ton temps à apprendre l'italien. C'est une vraie pourriture.

Latest

Trending

Trending