Languages You Would Like To Learn? Watch

This discussion is closed.
mmjp
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
German (properly though, not like in high school)
Japanese (because I already know a few words from karate)
rubysolstice
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Sign language... does that count?
Japanese (I did 3 yrs then dropped it for yrs 11 and 12)
Latin (it'd be so convenient for studying Lit!!)
SlyPie
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
French because it is such a beautiful language (I took Spanish in high school)

And German (because I want to practice coughing up stuff in my throat)
SamTheMan
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by SlyPie)
And German (because I want to practice coughing up stuff in my throat)
German doesn't sound like that at all. That stereotype is really unfounded. I think a lot of people get German mixed up with Dutch or some of the Nordic languages as it doesn't sound that rough.

I much prefer hearing a girl speaking German than Spanish or Italian. A lot of Spanish girls speak nasally, like they've got a bunged up nose.
Eau
Badges: 15
Report 13 years ago
1. Japanese

2. Chinese (Even though my first language... I think my English is 1000 times better.. shamed of myself)
Crazyangel
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by blah888)
1. Japanese

2. Chinese (Even though my first language... I think my English is 1000 times better.. shamed of myself)
Yeah, I know both cantonese and mandarin but my english is miles better. I'm sure there is so much more that I should have learnt.

I would also want to learn Spanish, I learnt a bit while on holiday in Malaga.
Gem
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by SamTheMan)
Of course noone speaks it :rolleyes: Except maybe Catholic priests in very old-fasioned church services and even then, I bet they don't understand that much latin anyway... I was in a weird situation in Menorca once. Some Spanish guy and some Greek guy chose to communicate in latin. At the time, I didn't know any latin but they seemed to get by.

I must say that for English speakers, it's less interesting to learn latin than if French, Spanish or Italian are your mother tongues. But if you want to learn a latin language, it helps a lot. It's quite incredible how many very complex words you'd never understand without latin, you'll end up understanding.

To understand some grammatical rules in latin languages, it's quite useful too.

It used to be compulsary for anyone learning medicine to know latin since a lot of latin terms are used.
I was pretty sure nobody spoke it, I just wasn't 100% and thought it was best to ask as opposed to assuming nobody spoke it and being wrong! :p:

Thanks for explaining how it can be used too
gemgems89
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I want to learn more Hebrew and get fluent. Italian is such a nice language, i'd like to learn it doubt I will..
Scipio
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
japanese, russian, italian
raven
Report 13 years ago
German: My phlegm control is already impeccable anyway.
Madelyn
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Sanskrit, Hebrew, Russian, Maori...Homeric Greek, because it's so beautiful. I'd like to learn Italian properly (currently my Italian comes entirely from Dante and Mozart).
There's a chap in Finland who broadcasts radio in Latin, on the basis that more people understand Latin than do Finnish. I also think Latin ought to be the official language of the E.U..
Buttercup
Report 13 years ago
Arabic- learning!
French - did 5 yrs at school, might do a-level...
Swahili
Punjabi
Champagne Breakfast
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by SamTheMan)
German doesn't sound like that at all. That stereotype is really unfounded. I think a lot of people get German mixed up with Dutch or some of the Nordic languages as it doesn't sound that rough.

I much prefer hearing a girl speaking German than Spanish or Italian. A lot of Spanish girls speak nasally, like they've got a bunged up nose.
yeah it does - and spanish/italian are far nicer languages than german i'm sorry :P
Person
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Farsi (Iranian dialect of Persian)
Turkish
Arabic
Piggsil
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by The Ace is Back)
yeah it does - and spanish/italian are far nicer languages than german i'm sorry :P
It's all personal opinion!
Ronaldinho_88
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Latin
[email protected] x x x
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
russian and Italian/spanish

Russian just sounds doooo good and interesting and theres the thing about learning not just a new language but also a new alphabet! sounds good to me!
twiga
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Russian
Swahili
Portuguese
Spanish
Logan
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I want to learn korean language so that i can work with them on mmorpg games
Oziris
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I'd like to learn Spanish, Dutch and probably re-learn German
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (554)
80.41%
Leave (135)
19.59%

Watched Threads