Does your school have A Level Option Blocks (Please do... very important for me)

Watch
AaronL
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Hi my school does these really annoying option blocks.

The option blocks are you must take one subject from option 1, one from option 2 and the same for options 3 and 4.

But I wanna know if your school has this because I wanna move schools if other school don't have this because all my best subjects are in the same option number.

So does your school have option blocks?
Troubled_Student
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yes, they do. I believe most schools/colleges do, however they see what each student wants to take and try to allocate these subjects into each block so that students do get at least 2-3 of their wanted subjects. Some subjects also have places in more than one block, at my school due to a high demand for that subject. I'm sure you will be fine and get at least some of your subjects (2-3) i myself got 2, as one did not have enough interest and the other was in a wrong option block and couldn't be changed.
Melting Sugar.
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yep, every school I know of has had option blocks.
squamous
Report 11 years ago
Mine didn't, I did A-Levels in 2003 though. We could choose any 4.
Asha5692
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Mine did! Spanish clashed with chemistry so I ended up having to do Spanish privately. I didn't know that schools in the UK did that too!
Doodahdoo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
As far as I know, most schools do. It makes it far, far easier in terms of timetabling, and means that people get more of their choices and a better education in them (rather than having five groups with three people in them, or people not getting their first choice because of timetable clashes).

Are there no other possibilites that you may enjoy, or the chance of joint courses between local schools? Bear in mind that what you enjoy now, you may end up hating come end-of-GCSE or start-of-Alevel, too.
Sequin
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Mine doesnt.
nuodai
Badges: 17
Report 11 years ago
When I was in 6th form we could choose any combination (i.e. no blocks), but there were just under 1000 people in the sixth form which could be why.
bigmo7
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yes we had them too...
Kuriso
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Mine doesn't, because it's so big virtually any combination of subjects can be timetabled.
Mirose
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yes
ghanglish
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yeah I couldn't do Philosophy or French because they were in the same block as Chemistry and Biology which took priority. Pissed me off a bit at the time.
letsdothetimewarpagain
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yeah, because of timetabling. However they are quite free

Year 12 options blocks 2010-11

Option A Option B Option C Option D Option E
Biology Applied Business Art Applied ICT Applied Art and Design
Business Studies Biology Economics Chemistry Drama & Theatre Studies
English Language English Literature Law Dance French
History Further Maths Music English Literature History
Photography Geography PE Geography Mathematics
Physics Mathematics Product Design History Media Studies
Psychology Psychology Spanish Music Technology Psychology
Sociology Sociology Textiles Philosophy and Ethics
PE
MDEH8176
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
We had option blocks for GCSE, but not for A-levels at college. It must be horrible not being able to study the A-levels you want just because of a timetable schedule!
fallen angel9
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yep, mine did and unfortunately I couldn't take the subjects I originally wanted to do. :sad: I think most schools/colleges do it tbh.
bigfatflanker
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
No, nor did any of the 6th forms I applied to.
username330427
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yes, although one school I applied to offered a free choice, and assigned subjects to blocks once they knew what everyone wanted to take. Much better system, I think. A couple of people were disappointed, but fewer than people I knew at "blocked" schools.
amani-puresapphire
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yes, it does but usually popular subjects appear in more than one block like the sciences.
Samus2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
They have to have option blocks to set the timetable. I managed all 4 of my subjects as did the majority of my year.
Lollyage
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
The college I'm going to doesn't. You can take any combination whatsoever. I think option blocks are a little unfair if you can't do what you want to do, and quite pointless really.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (28)
13.4%
I need help researching courses (14)
6.7%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
4.31%
I need help with my personal statement (87)
41.63%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (52)
24.88%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.44%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (16)
7.66%

Watched Threads