The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Ask Absolutely Anything! (+FAQ)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RoyalStudent
Hey guys! I have 2 questions.

1. When should I be here in Warwick, if my course starts at 4th of October (as the UCAS states)?
2. When should I send all my diploma's and final year grades to admission office? Any deadlines?
3. When to apply for the student loan?
4. How much should I pay for accommodation when I arrive? For 2 months? For 3?

Thank you very much!

1. The weekend before term starts is the moving in weekend (2nd/3rd October) - they'll send you more info on this, but basically it is really easy and I suggest turning up on Saturday regardless of your surname (usually they separate the first and second half of the alphabet but you can ignore this).

2. Ask them directly. Send an email or call up.

3. You should have done it already, so get on that asap.

4. You set up a direct debit online. Over the year, they take out three installments which together total the full amount. Once accommodation offers have been given out, they will send you info on how to do this.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Original post by Nirgilis
Nobody really cares what you wear, so wear what you like. People turn up in all sorts of clothes, but 99% of them wear trainers, jeans and a t-shirt/hoodie depending on the weather. And to my knowledge, no-one in chemistry has ever turned up in heels... It's just something that doesn't happen :tongue: (but that's probably because we're scientists! :ahee: . And everyone knows we're a crazy bunch :yep:)

Really it is nowhere near 99%. I don't know many people at all who would wear trainers for anything other than sport. Maybe the impression you get on this depends on your department/course and therefore whether or not you actually go to the library...but most people wear proper boots or shoes or sandals of some description, and people are usually a bit more style conscious than just jeans and a t-shirt. We've all been guilty of just turning up in jeans and a hoodie but I don't think that is the majority of people the majority of the time at all.
Original post by georgia
Really it is nowhere near 99%. I don't know many people at all who would wear trainers for anything other than sport. Maybe the impression you get on this depends on your department/course and therefore whether or not you actually go to the library...but most people wear proper boots or shoes or sandals of some description, and people are usually a bit more style conscious than just jeans and a t-shirt. We've all been guilty of just turning up in jeans and a hoodie but I don't think that is the majority of people the majority of the time at all.

Sorry, should have rephrased; 99% of males, in chemistry, wear a jeans/shirt/t-shirt/hoodie combination :lol: . I concede to your point though and should have made myself clear from the off :yep:
Sorry, should have rephrased; 99% of males, in chemistry, wear a jeans/shirt/t-shirt/hoodie combination :lol: . I concede to your point though and should have made myself clear from the off :yep:

Aaaahh yes, that is a fair enough comment, haha.

There's definitely a lot of stereotypical divides clothing-wise based upon gender and course (mostly arts vs sciences tbf)
Reply 2784
so here's a thing, I started doubting about my accounting and finance studies, whether I should study or not finances, is it possible for me to transfer to a different subject when I come to Warwick? Maybe to management, or something like that? Would there be any difficulties with that? thanks in advance, I'm really confused right now:frown:((

I think, as someone doing Chemistry at Warwick (hopefully!) in September, that I should where high heels, shorts and fancy tops during lectures, just to try and change it up a bit :wink: ! I am joking, probably be jeans, pumps and vests :P At the start of last year, did people come to lectures not really dressed up, but put an effort into what they were wearing, I remember reading somewhere that people did that in general, and then sort of toned it down after the first week or two :L
Original post by LGrosvenor101
I think, as someone doing Chemistry at Warwick (hopefully!) in September, that I should where high heels, shorts and fancy tops during lectures, just to try and change it up a bit :wink: ! I am joking, probably be jeans, pumps and vests :P At the start of last year, did people come to lectures not really dressed up, but put an effort into what they were wearing, I remember reading somewhere that people did that in general, and then sort of toned it down after the first week or two :L

It really depends on who you are. At the start of last year, it was lovely and warm, so there were loads of summer clothes. I never really put any effort into my clothes, so I'm not the one to be coming to for advice :tongue: . However, for the first few days, you'll be doing 6 hours of team building activities outside, so it's best to dress practically. The same goes for labs - You can't have exposed skin. This means proper shoes, proper trousers and proper tops. You can fail labs on health and safety grounds if you don't comply with this (but they do warn you about this, don't worry), so chemists (or the ones I know) just generally fall into the routine of dressing practically regardless of the occasion (or motivation to impress decreases - as I said, I don't particularly care what I wear so I wouldn't know) :yep: . You get one or two exceptions to the dress sense, but it's a very noticeable change in the status quo if someone comes in in a dress/heels etc :lol: . However, on nights out, chemists dress just as extravagantly as everyone else :h:
Original post by kuks
No it's because he's a guy.

hahaha erm.... *awkward* *blush*

Original post by electriic_ink
Sorry - only just saw your gender xp

likewise.. :smile:

Original post by georgia
To class people wear whatever they like. I've seen people turn up to class in old joggers and hoodie but also seen people turn up hair and make up perfect in smart clothes. Whatever your style it doesn't really matter. Just be weather appropriate :wink:

On nights out dresses and heels are totally normal. Also putting together a nice outfit around smart jeans and heels or something. Again, whatever your style it doesn't matter so long as you make a little bit of an effort :p:

oh okay.. so will there ever be a time when shorts and mini skirts are appropriate? i mean it'd already be too cold for those when we start in sept right? and i heard it isn't exactly warm in summer either.. (sorry i really don't know how to be "weather appropriate", coming from a tropical country where its always summer and probably much hotter than it'll ever be over there. )

oh wait, is it rude or something to turn up at lectures or tutorials dressed like that? man i'm clueless :s-smilie:
Original post by ivory
so here's a thing, I started doubting about my accounting and finance studies, whether I should study or not finances, is it possible for me to transfer to a different subject when I come to Warwick? Maybe to management, or something like that? Would there be any difficulties with that? thanks in advance, I'm really confused right now:frown:((

i would like to know this too.. for me maybe to econs or maths (or MORSE)..
has it been done before? i understand that it should be more difficult in my case since mine would be to a different department..
Original post by yzarcemina
oh okay.. so will there ever be a time when shorts and mini skirts are appropriate? i mean it'd already be too cold for those when we start in sept right? and i heard it isn't exactly warm in summer either.. (sorry i really don't know how to be "weather appropriate", coming from a tropical country where its always summer and probably much hotter than it'll ever be over there. )

oh wait, is it rude or something to turn up at lectures or tutorials dressed like that? man i'm clueless :s-smilie:

Of course you can wear shorts and mini skirts! If it is warm and sunny then all of a sudden the entire campus seems to strip off into short summer things. And the rest of the time tons of people wear tights or leggings underneath said shorts/skirts if they want to wear them.

Also, definitely not rude. I would say the only truly rude thing would be to show up in your pyjamas. As long as you have clearly got dressed and looked in a mirror and cleaned yourself up a little then you can honestly wear whatever you like.
Please help!

Maybe anyone could give me a hand and explain to me when exactly should I appear at Warwick Uni? My course is economics and I assume it starts on October 4 (as the UCAS states). I understand I need to be on Saturday but should it be 2 weeks before 4 October or the closest to October 4?
Please help!

Maybe anyone could give me a hand and explain to me when exactly should I appear at Warwick Uni? My course is economics and I assume it starts on October 4 (as the UCAS states). I understand I need to be on Saturday but should it be 2 weeks before 4 October or the closest to October 4?

Are you sure your course starts on October the 4th? That's a Thursday :lolwut: . I imagine that your course will start on Monday, October the 1st. Arrivals weekend is Saturday 29th and Sunday 30th September. If you're taking part in orientation, you will be there from Tuesday 25th September (though someone needs to verify that date for me :h:).
So I must be there ruoghly speaking on 29 September (Saturday because my surname starts with F)? Maybe you could also suggest what airport is the best to arrive at Warwick, I mean are there any other options than going to London (stansted airport)? Or other airports? Thanks :smile:
Reply 2793
So I must be there ruoghly speaking on 29 September (Saturday because my surname starts with F)? Maybe you could also suggest what airport is the best to arrive at Warwick, I mean are there any other options than going to London (stansted airport)? Or other airports? Thanks :smile:

You can land at Birmingham international. Then can take the train straight from there to Coventry. From Coventry station its a £10 cab ride or £1.70 bus ride onto campus.
Original post by kuks
You can land at Birmingham international. Then can take the train straight from there to Coventry. From Coventry station its a £10 cab ride or £1.70 bus ride onto campus.

Fabolous thank you. And the date is 29th of September? :colondollar:
Reply 2795

If that's the Saturday before term starts, then yes :smile:

Also I would recommend for everyone to move in on the Saturday, no matter what your surname is. They don't check your surname and it's easier than Sunday because everyone is meeting everyone on the first night.

Although arguably if you're going to get a taxi from Coventry, you may as well get one direct from the airport because it is around £20, especially if you book it in advance, and only takes 20 minutes.
Reply 2797
Original post by georgia
Although arguably if you're going to get a taxi from Coventry, you may as well get one direct from the airport because it is around £20, especially if you book it in advance, and only takes 20 minutes.

Didn't know that myself because never been to Birmingham international! Good point.
Original post by kuks
Didn't know that myself because never been to Birmingham international! Good point.

It took me until term 2 year 3 to realise just how close the airport is! Which now means I am permanently tempted to take advantage of low cost airlines...
would you guys recommend arriving a few days before orientation or right on the day itself? (i'm not sure what's there to do if i get there so early)
also, would you guys recommend flying to heathrow airport or straight to birmingham?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending