It is the easiest degree there is :sexface:

There.

Better

*smile and nod and pretend to understand what you're talking about*
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Zweihander
Warwick has been famous for sucking off Labour for quite a while now.

Labour is the epitome of everything I hate about left wingers.

Is there a conservative lobby/group there too?
Reply 142
I don't really think it's true that the student body leans any more left than at any other University. It's certainly not the "Red Warwick" of the seventies. However, the University itself is seen as having ties a bit closer to New Labour.
bxvgears
Sarcasm doesn't transmit well on TSR :hmmmm2:

It is the easiest degree there is :sexface:

There.

Better

Beins as prestigious as Warwick is, are degrees like Biomed looked down upon by fellow students ?
pmann
Beins as prestigious as Warwick is, are degrees like Biomed looked down upon by fellow students ?

No.

Focus08
What is Warwick doing to improve its worldwide reputation? (Not saying that it is poor, or anything)

Check out Vision 2015 - main target is for the uni to be ranked in the top 50 by Warwick's 50th birthday in 2015. We went from 69th to 58th in the world from 2008 to 2009 in the Times Higher Education tables. They've also been granted planning permission 6 months ago for a 10 year campus development plan.
TheTallOne
No.

Check out Vision 2015 - main target is for the uni to be ranked in the top 50 by Warwick's 50th birthday in 2015. We went from 69th to 58th in the world from 2008 to 2009 in the Times Higher Education tables. They've also been granted planning permission 6 months ago for a 10 year campus development plan.

I'm surprised anyone even pays attention to world rankings. I mean LSE is ranked 67th ffs.
Zweihander
I'm surprised anyone even pays attention to world rankings. I mean LSE is ranked 67th ffs.

I think there's a difference between the view of world rankings for students at our level and on the research front. Peer review makes up 40% of the score so ranking highly will make the university more attractive to researchers. 'Student Faculty Ratio' (or commitment to teaching) and 'Citations per faculty' both count for 20% of the mark. So a good THE ranking will attract the higher quality staff and will inevitably improve it's worldwide reputation (and quality of teaching, hopefully). Compare it to the Times or Guardian UK rankings and this is more of a comparison for undergraduate students and the best university for them. Measures include student satisfaction, student staff ratio, research quality, spending, entry standards, completion of course, good honours and graduate prospects. Much more focus is on the learning/quality of teaching rather than the overall university.

The reason why LSE is ranked much lower is because it only really has a social science department (which is in the top 5), but obviously most if not all degrees from there are in the social sciences.
Reply 147
Course start date: 4th Oct. When should I be moving into the halls :hmmmm:

Also firmed Warwick on 18th April. When do I get my accomodation pack :indiff:
Reply 148
Keoje
Course start date: 4th Oct. When should I be moving into the halls :hmmmm:

Also firmed Warwick on 18th April. When do I get my accomodation pack :indiff:

You'll be moving in no earlier than October 2nd.
Don't expect anything about accommodation for months yet, either :smile:
Reply 149
Is Warwick suffering from financial difficulties in the same way as a few London universities (namely UCL, KCL)? What's the word on the street?
Does anyone know how much the first year of PPE counts towards your degree?
Zweihander
Does anyone know how much the first year of PPE counts towards your degree?

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/soc/ppe/programme/ppe_handbook_09.pdf

Page 8 - first year isn't classed as 'honours level' and doesn't count towards the degree.
Reply 152
Are there any LAN parties at Warwick, or super smash bros. competitions, like at Notts :ninja:
Welix
Are there any LAN parties at Warwick, or super smash bros. competitions, like at Notts :ninja:

http://www.warwickcompsoc.co.uk/events/details/1216/

CompSoc have two per term :smile:
Welix

A Smash Bros Society would be the greatest society ever.
Reply 155
I'm not sure what the Learning Grid is about. Only heard it being mentioned briefly. What's the hype, fill me in?
Focus08
I'm not sure what the Learning Grid is about. Only heard it being mentioned briefly. What's the hype, fill me in?

It's basically a fancy library (it is run by the library) which is open 24/7, except on Christmas day. The main library closes as night so this is basically the 24 hour working area if you want to pull an all nighter or something and you need computers. (Some departments have their own computer labs so you don't need to go to the Grid as much).

You also have books, group work areas, presentation/whiteboard areas, sofas, awesome sleep machines - basically a perfect place to work.

See pics here.
TheTallOne
It's basically a fancy library (it is run by the library) which is open 24/7, except on Christmas day. The main library closes as night so this is basically the 24 hour working area if you want to pull an all nighter or something and you need computers. (Some departments have their own computer labs so you don't need to go to the Grid as much).

You also have books, group work areas, presentation/whiteboard areas, sofas, awesome sleep machines - basically a perfect place to work.

See pics here.

sleep machines?
Zweihander
sleep machines?

Focus08
Sleep machines... :s-smilie:

Edit: beat me to it..

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/tutors/counselling/sleep
Reply 159
I heard the internet in halls is really slow. Can anyone confirm? :puppyeyes:

Quick Reply

Latest