What should I do? Watch

This discussion is closed.
natcho
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
It’s a long story…

Today I went into a well known store to buy something. I took the item to the counter, where I discovered, when the item was scanned into the till, it cost more than it was advertised for. The person serving me happened to be the store manager, so she took me to the shelf to show / explain to me why the item was more expensive. One thing lead to another and I chose a cheaper item, and the manager and I went back to the till. The manager then “unscanned” the expensive item, held onto it, and scanned the new cheaper item and put it in a bag and gave it to me. I put the bag down on the floor to get my wallet out, and then handed her the money. She asked if I had a store loyalty card, to which I replied “no”, so she offered me one. I said I would fill in the application form (name, address etc) there and then. It took a couple of minute to fill in. After I had filled it in, I gave it to her, and she handed me ANOTHER bag, containing the more expensive item, my receipt (for the cheap item) and my change. The items both had security tags on them (the kind that stick onto the product like a price tag) but the security system never made a noise when I walked out of the shop. Basically, I was given £20s worth of product I did not pay for.

It’s only when I got home I realised what had happened, and pieced together the above chain of events. I’m not really too keen to go back to the shop any time soon, I don’t think I’ll have time, in any case, to do so for a little while. I’m also not really bothered about the store losing money – the whole thing wouldn’t have happened were they not stupid about their pricing. Normally this wouldn’t be a problem, but I’m concerned about having handed over my name and address on the application form.

Am I legally obliged to give back the extra item? Can I be arrested / taken to court.

Thanks in advance for the advice
se77en
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
uh oh YOU are IN TROUBLE
TKR
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
phone the police now - you dont want a criminal record!!!
Apricot Fairy
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by smeets)
It’s a long story…

Today I went into a well known store to buy something. I took the item to the counter, where I discovered, when the item was scanned into the till, it cost more than it was advertised for. The person serving me happened to be the store manager, so she took me to the shelf to show / explain to me why the item was more expensive. One thing lead to another and I chose a cheaper item, and the manager and I went back to the till. The manager then “unscanned” the expensive item, held onto it, and scanned the new cheaper item and put it in a bag and gave it to me. I put the bag down on the floor to get my wallet out, and then handed her the money. She asked if I had a store loyalty card, to which I replied “no”, so she offered me one. I said I would fill in the application form (name, address etc) there and then. It took a couple of minute to fill in. After I had filled it in, I gave it to her, and she handed me ANOTHER bag, containing the more expensive item, my receipt (for the cheap item) and my change. The items both had security tags on them (the kind that stick onto the product like a price tag) but the security system never made a noise when I walked out of the shop. Basically, I was given £20s worth of product I did not pay for.

It’s only when I got home I realised what had happened, and pieced together the above chain of events. I’m not really too keen to go back to the shop any time soon, I don’t think I’ll have time, in any case, to do so for a little while. I’m also not really bothered about the store losing money – the whole thing wouldn’t have happened were they not stupid about their pricing. Normally this wouldn’t be a problem, but I’m concerned about having handed over my name and address on the application form.

Am I legally obliged to give back the extra item? Can I be arrested / taken to court.

Thanks in advance for the advice
Hmmm....

I think you are legally obliged to give it back....but it's a tricky one because I wouldn't have thought they'd notice. If your employer overpays you, they have all your details and your bank account details so it's much easier to spot. On the other hand, you DID fill in that form for the loyalty card....

If I were you I'd wait and see whether they chase you for it, and if you do you can just act really confused. It sounds like it was confusing.

But you probably shouldn't listen to me.
vin
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
They gave it to you, so I dont think your at fualt. It was just a an accident anyway. And they woud probably never notice. And I doubt your address would make a difference.

Of course Im probably wrong.
xxSpicyChickenxx
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i did not read all of that except the last line....

fine im going...
natcho
Rep:
?
(Original post by se77en)
uh oh YOU are IN TROUBLE
omfg thnx x x x x
Juno
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Did she give you both items, or just the more expensive one? If it was just the more expensive one you could say you didn't realise.
natcho
Rep:
?
(Original post by Juno)
Did she give you both items, or just the more expensive one? If it was just the more expensive one you could say you didn't realise.
Nah she gave me both. I hope she wont get in trouble for it.
Champagne Breakfast
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
maybe she likes you
saz_1989
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Don't worry about it. I'd probably take the cheaper one back and get my money back, but I am a cheap student. If you feel bad, just take it back.
natcho
Rep:
?
Thanks for the advice.

I don't feel bad about keeping it at all. But I'm not sure if it's technically steeling. Oh well.
vin
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Personally I wouldnt bother because they gave it to you. So not really stealing. Its as much their fault as yours. But if they make a fuss then you should take it back, otherwise keep it.
mypaperheart
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Normally, I'd say that you should keep it seeing as it was the shop's mistake, not yours, and well done!

But seeing as you filled out an application form for a store card, they now have your name and address, which probably makes the matter more complicated!
vin
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
somehow I doubt they would use the storecard aplication to contact you.
natcho
Rep:
?
The woman said she'd put the application in the internal mail, so if she realised her mistake before the mail gets sent away then she could go and get the application form. I think I'll just hang onto both products and see what happens...
1Michael
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
It was the managers mistake, don't worry about it.
frost105
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Technically its stealing however it wont come up until a stock count so probably wont make much of a difference to the store.
zhivago
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
This is one of those situations where you always feel naughty and you get worried pointlessly. I can relate. Basically, just keep them both. She probably will notice, but it's her mistake, not yours - and it's not like you noticed in the shop, so you haven't really been dishonest. If you'd have noticed in the store, and still taken them out then perhaps you'd be right to have a guilty conscience, but you didn't so it's cool.

The worst that's going to happen is that they will, with the aid of your contact details, ask for it back - or more likely, make you pay for it. Even if that does happen you're not going to get penalised for it, because it wasn't your mistake. She 'gave you' the CD - you didn't legally steal it.

Enjoy!
RealityIsDull
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i wouldnt worry.... she probably doesnt realise you have it
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (695)
80.63%
Leave (167)
19.37%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed