?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
For my AS levels I have chosen to do:
Maths
English Lit
Chem
Physics
History
And possibly General Studies (although Im hoping to get out of this)

I was wondering if people could just give me their advice on if this is a good subject combination, what the workload will be like, etc.
soulsussed
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I'm taking chem and english lit as well.

It depends on what you want to go into at the end of day. Will those subjects get you on the degree you want to be on?

And you have 5, its quite alot, why do you want to do 5?
~Bex~
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
I want to do a history degree, so yeh I should think some of these subjects should be helpful. And I want to do 5 firstly because I really enjoy all the subjects, and also because I think I am capable of it, and I would be unable to pick a subject to drop.
Champagne Breakfast
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I would drop one of the sciences but otherwise yeah fine.. oh a language might be nice to go with history but if you're not into that don't bother
~Bex~
Rep:
?
(Original post by The Ace is Back)
I would drop one of the sciences but otherwise yeah fine.. oh a language might be nice to go with history but if you're not into that don't bother
Unfortunately I don't have any GCSE languages, because the only way I could have done one would have been to drop history
w8wizz
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by ~Bex~)
I want to do a history degree, so yeh I should think some of these subjects should be helpful. And I want to do 5 firstly because I really enjoy all the subjects, and also because I think I am capable of it, and I would be unable to pick a subject to drop.
i started with 5, bio, maths, chem, PE, physics.
i droped physics after a week, mainly because i didnt get much frees, i think about 1 a week. so i would have to spend alot of time after school with homework instead of doing it in frees, when i would like to do some sports and go out.

AS and A2 are more difficult than GCSEs, so it is best to read ahead before every lesson.
Featherflare
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
The combination is fine as long as you are prepared to work (tbh it wont be that bad), if you decide to drop one though, make it physics, its the least relevant to your course
kellywood_5
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I'd say you have a great combination there. All your subjects are very highly respected and you have a nice balance between arts and sciences, making you well-rounded. I did English lit and history for AS and found them pretty similar to GCSE in terms of content. For English (Edexcel) I studied a poetry anthology, a novel and 2 plays, one Shakespeare. The Shakespeare play was for coursework (1500 words, 30%), the poetry and the other play was a 2 hour open text exam and the novel was a 1 hour closed text exam. For history (also Edexcel), I studied Nazi Germany, Fascist Italy and the Origins of the First World War. The First World War was coursework (2000 words, 30%), Nazi Germany was a 1 hour 30 minute source-based exam and Fascist Italy was a 1 hour essay-based exam. The texts/topics you study, whether or not you do coursework, how long it is, how much it's worth and how long your exams are will obviously vary according to exam board and the options your teachers choose, but that should give you an overview of what to expect. I didn't really find history harder than at GCSE, but English lit was in terms of wider reading and being more analytical. The workload was greater for both, especially history, but you get that with all AS subjects. I took 4 and found that plenty of work, but if you enjoy all your subjects and think you can handle it, there's no harm taking 5. You can always drop one if you find it too much.
trev
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by ~Bex~)
For my AS levels I have chosen to do:
Maths
English Lit
Chem
Physics
History
And possibly General Studies (although Im hoping to get out of this)

I was wondering if people could just give me their advice on if this is a good subject combination, what the workload will be like, etc.
The workload will be a lot for AS. I would recommend 4 instead of 5. If you can go for it. I would recommend dropping 1 or 2 subjects when you reach year 13 if you decide to do 5 subjects. If you decide to do 4 subjects, drop one subject. If you can drop GS at the end of year 13, do it, along with 1 or 2 subjects.

Before you drop anything, check what the university's entrance requirements is for your course if you plan to go to university.
nemo199
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
well my choices are sorta of similar. i chose math, physics, chemistry and english lang..i think if i were u i wud drop history lol..but mayb thats because i think its sorta boring ( no ofence 2 any1)...but then its ur choice..depends on wat u want to do later i guess...
*River
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
As said, if you struggle, just have in mind the one you want to drop, and giving that you want to do History that would probably have to be one of the Sciences.
Mata
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Its a good combination, but as others have said, you won't have many frees at *all*.

A large part of 6th form is having frees, microwaving things in the common room and playing snooker (or, y'know, studying). Bear in mind that you won't have as much of a chance to do that if you take on so many subjects.

If you find that you need/want to drop one, do so, don't carry on with all of them and hate it. Otherwise, nice combo.
~Bex~
Rep:
?
(Original post by nemo199)
well my choices are sorta of similar. i chose math, physics, chemistry and english lang..i think if i were u i wud drop history lol..but mayb thats because i think its sorta boring ( no ofence 2 any1)...but then its ur choice..depends on wat u want to do later i guess...

How can you say history is boring lol! It's like the best subject ever!
josh1988uk
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I believe that you are making a mistake taking 5 subjects plus general studies. I also disagree with the belief that general studies is a waste of time. I feel that it is a useful wa of distingusihing students because you cannot revise for it. Also I would recommend not taking physics. It is one of the least enjoyable a levels or so i am led believe by the fact that 80% of my year are dropping it for a2
~Bex~
Rep:
?
(Original post by josh1988uk)
I believe that you are making a mistake taking 5 subjects plus general studies. I also disagree with the belief that general studies is a waste of time. I feel that it is a useful wa of distingusihing students because you cannot revise for it. Also I would recommend not taking physics. It is one of the least enjoyable a levels or so i am led believe by the fact that 80% of my year are dropping it for a2
Firstly, you might think that general studies is a "useful way of distinguishing students", but many universities will disagree with you. As for physics, if 80% of your year are dropping it for A2, that means over 80% of the year must have selected it for AS, so it must have some appeal.
josh1988uk
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
although many universities do not count it in their offers they do use general studies to differentiate between students. a student at my school was asked at interview why she only had a b in general studies. other than this she was a staright a student at a level and an 11A* student at gcse. so yes general studies is useful - would you prefer the student who failed general studies at AS or the one who got an A? You tell me!

Also there is no need to nit pick at what I said when it is obvious that the 80% was 80% of those who took physics not 80% of the year!
~Bex~
Rep:
?
(Original post by josh1988uk)
although many universities do not count it in their offers they do use general studies to differentiate between students. a student at my school was asked at interview why she only had a b in general studies. other than this she was a staright a student at a level and an 11A* student at gcse. so yes general studies is useful - would you prefer the student who failed general studies at AS or the one who got an A? You tell me!

Also there is no need to nit pick at what I said when it is obvious that the 80% was 80% of those who took physics not 80% of the year!
I was not nitpicking, simply trying to establish whether what you had said was correct.
josh1988uk
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Ok well what I was meaning was that 80% of those that took AS Physics are dropping it for the reasons I previously mentioned
Comp_Genius
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
This is a nice and well-balanced combination Go for it
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

Do you have a role model?

Yes - I know them personally (296)
25.92%
Yes - they're famous (292)
25.57%