The Student Room Group

what are you packing for uni?

Thread for discussing what clothes you're packing for uni :p:

I'm not sure how many pairs of jeans to pack and how many jumpers I will need and so on... I'm not too keen on packing too much stuff, as I'll somehow have to get it there and probably back as well and I'm sure on the way back there will be more things to try and fit into my suitcase :wink: .
Apparenlty I need a dress for the ball, I've got a white one that goes to my knees and is very lacy (well, sort of) and a long blue ball gown... hmm... not sore which one to take. Probably the white one though, as I might be able to wear that another time too, but on all the uni websites everyone is wearing black dresses, so it looks like I'd stand out a mile with a white one :rolleyes: .
There are some trousers that look quite nice, but aren't very comfortable... I think I will just leave everything I'm not comfortable in behind though, so eh... that leaves me with no smart trouser... eh... :redface:
I've now managed to get together eight jumpers - that should be enough, shouldn't it? :confused:

Scroll to see replies

Should be! I've hardly got any jumpers at all. Need to buy some. I also need more jeans and more skirts.
Reply 2
I'd take every item of clothing you have, not sure if its the same for girls, but yeh, you're always short of clean clothes even if they're just to bum about in, and it means you can go about 5 weeks without doing any washing :biggrin:
Reply 3
Which uni are you going to? The more up north you are the more you'll probably wear jumpers!

If you're planning on getting a job then you'll need smart trousers, but I wouldn't have thought so otherwise.

You can always go shopping as a bonding exercise!
Pretty much everything but I am going to have a huge clearout of my 4 wardrobes before I leave and get rid of anything that doesn't fit/I don't like/is so out of fashion it would look ridiculous!God knows where I'll put it all.
But Adarah is coming from Italy. She won't be able to pack so much.
Ah I see.If I were travelling from Italy I'd just take a capsule wardrobe of things that mix and match with each other(like on holiday but taking it a bit further)....lots of outfits but don't need to take so many clothes!

I'd recommend a few jumpers and a bloody good winter coat!
Reply 7
But Adarah is coming from Italy. She won't be able to pack so much.

Yeah, I won't be able to pack everything... :frown:

I also need more jeans and more skirts.

I need some new winter skirts too to wear with my boots, cause I don't always want to wear jeans. But I only have summer skirts :redface:

Ah I see.If I were travelling from Italy I'd just take a capusule wardrobe of things that mix and match with each other(like on holiday but taking it a bit further)....lots of outfits but don't need to take so many clothes!

I'd recommend a few jumpers and a bloody good winter coat!

yeah, that's what I'm trying to do exactly! I'm taking one really nice thick winter coat with me and one shorter jacket (it's a 6 year old jacket of mine, but my new warmer one wouldn't go with most of my clothes...:s: ) - oh, and my jeans jacket :smile:

So now I just need to work out how many items I can get by with, like I don't want to end up with such a reduced wardrobe, that I just don't have enough clothes. :redface:
Reply 8
sparklyglitter
Pretty much everything but I am going to have a huge clearout of my 4 wardrobes before I leave and get rid of anything that doesn't fit/I don't like/is so out of fashion it would look ridiculous!God knows where I'll put it all.

i don't like most of the stuff I've bought in the past, so luckily weeding out the stuff I do like isn't too hard and there's not a whole lot left after that - well, there is, but it's no where near as much as it would be before I guess :p:
Reply 9
Juno
Which uni are you going to? The more up north you are the more you'll probably wear jumpers!

If you're planning on getting a job then you'll need smart trousers, but I wouldn't have thought so otherwise.

You can always go shopping as a bonding exercise!

Imperial College London, so not far up north.
:eek: I need to buy an some umbrellars! I keep loosing them and I'll need them in London for sure, as none of my jackets or coats are waterproof - except for one which I don't think i'll take with me ...

Hmm... I thought about a job at the union bar ... but yeah, some smart trousers would be a good thing to have anyway, I mean, you never know...
shopping there for some smart trousers sounds like a good idea :biggrin:
Reply 10
I'd say shop over here for an umbrella! It gives you less time to lose it and they're not that expensive. And you might not actually want/need to use one.
Reply 11
Juno
I'd say shop over here for an umbrella! It gives you less time to lose it and they're not that expensive. And you might not actually want/need to use one.

you mean the stories aren't true? it doesn't rain in London?! :eek:
Reply 12
i took all my pairs of jeans, all my jumpers that i like, tonnes of t-shirts + vest tops, all my going out clothes that i like at the moment, millions of pairs of boots/ shoes, few nice pairs of trousers i have, few comfy pairs of trousers, loads of jackets/coats... yet i still bought tonnes when i was there!

basically i would just advice you to take your favourite outfits, you can always buy more stuff once you're there :smile:

lou xxx
Reply 13
lou p
i took all my pairs of jeans, all my jumpers that i like, tonnes of t-shirts + vest tops, all my going out clothes that i like at the moment, millions of pairs of boots/ shoes, few nice pairs of trousers i have, few comfy pairs of trousers, loads of jackets/coats... yet i still bought tonnes when i was there!

basically i would just advice you to take your favourite outfits, you can always buy more stuff once you're there :smile:

lou xxx

:eek: that a lot of clothes to take! :smile:
Hehehe, yeah, I somehow think i'll probably end up buying some things while I'm there. But I've got to try and resist and not spend too much money :wink: .
Probably right when you say I should pack my favourite outfits, I probably wouldn't really wear the stuff I don't like that much too often... so it would just be taking up room.
Reply 14
I took loads of jeans, long sleeve tops and t shirts. Stuff you can layer so you can adjust to the temperature. Make sure you have some nice tops for going out but everyone tends to just wear jeans or a skirt going out rather than smart trousers.

A good sturdy coat is a definite must because it'll be cold in the winter walking to lectures and waiting for a cab to go home at night.

Take stuff you know you will wear, if you are unsure don't bother. Wardrobes aren't generally very big and you'll want to buy stuff once you get here anyway.
Reply 15
Adarah
:eek: that a lot of clothes to take! :smile:
Hehehe, yeah, I somehow think i'll probably end up buying some things while I'm there. But I've got to try and resist and not spend too much money :wink: .
Probably right when you say I should pack my favourite outfits, I probably wouldn't really wear the stuff I don't like that much too often... so it would just be taking up room.

i know, but i'm in dundee and it's cold up there!

lou xxx
Reply 16
Sophdoph
Take stuff you know you will wear, if you are unsure don't bother. Wardrobes aren't generally very big and you'll want to buy stuff once you get here anyway.

I'm unsure about 6 of those 8 jumpers :frown: . One of them I need to repair too, it's got some holes in it, hehehe.
But I don't think it would be good to come with just 2 jumpers and only a limited amout of cash in my bank :p: .
Packing will be so much fun, I've got to start soon too, as I'm making the journey in too stages. Stopping off for three weeks in Germany before driving from there to London, as I can drive from there to London in 7 hours maybe.
Reply 17
lou p
i know, but i'm in dundee and it's cold up there!

lou xxx

yeah, I guess you'll need all those coats and jackets that far north... although I've never been that far north :redface:. But it can get cold in the Alps too during winter - there is a skislope not too far from where I live :biggrin:
Reply 18
Adarah
yeah, I guess you'll need all those coats and jackets that far north... although I've never been that far north :redface:. But it can get cold in the Alps too during winter - there is a skislope not too far from where I live :biggrin:

cool, i took all my ski stuff to dundee with me, joined the ski club and then only ever got drunk with them :cool:

lou xxx
Reply 19
lou p
cool, i took all my ski stuff to dundee with me, joined the ski club and then only ever got drunk with them :cool:

lou xxx

cool! I've only ever been skiing once on a school trip, quite scary really...

Latest