Circle question Watch

This discussion is closed.
Theophilus7
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Hi.

I've just started looking at radians and I'm being very slow and dumb at the moment. (Anyone else have those days?)

Anyway, would some kind soul show me their working to the following (very easy) problem:

Two circles of radii 5cm and 12cm are drawn, partly overlapping. Their centres are 13cm apart. Find the area common to the two circles.

Simple. I'm sure. It's just one of those days...

Cheers.
Saichu
Badges: 9
Report 13 years ago
Hmmm.. you can find the area of the sectors, and the important part here is what I call the "sector ends", that is to say, the sector minus the triangle. Here's the deal: draw a line straight through the two points of circle intersection, and you should be able to divide the area of the overlap into two parts: the sector end of the first circle, and the sector end of the second circle.

Call the center of the 5cm circle A, the center of the other B, and one of the points of intersection C. ABC forms a 5-12-13 triangle (which is right angled). More importantly, though, the angle 1/2 thetha of sector a (of circle A) is arctan(12/5), and the angle 1/2 thetha of sector b is arctan(5/12).

Once you have the thethas, find the area of the sector ends. A = pi*r^2*thetha / 2pi - 1/2r^2sin thetha = 1/2r^2(thetha - sin thetha)

A total = 25/2(2arctan(12/5) - sin 2arctan(12/5)) +144/2(2arctan(5/12) - sin 2arctan(5/12))
TheGenius
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Theophilus7)
Two circles of radii 5cm and 12cm are drawn, partly overlapping. Their centres are 13cm apart. Find the area common to the two circles.

Cheers.
I get Area ≈ 26.26cm²

I Maybe wrong
Theophilus7
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Hi.

I've just started looking at radians and I'm being very slow and dumb at the moment. (Anyone else have those days?)

Anyway, would some kind soul show me their working to the following (very easy) problem:

Cheers.
Thanks folks.

I assume if it wasn't a right-angled triangle the proper procedure would be to use Cosine Rule to get theta (?)
yazan_l
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Thanks folks.

I assume if it wasn't a right-angled triangle the proper procedure would be to use Cosine Rule to get theta (?)

ya, right....
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1119)
78.97%
Leave (298)
21.03%

Watched Threads