Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NikNak)
    K here are the theories:

1. Something went wrong and it crashed and was destroyed / damaged on landing.
    2. It landed in a huge valley or something like that, that is blocking the signal.
    3. It didn't unfold properly when it landed.
    4. The antenna did not extend properly and could be facing the wrong direction.
    5. Beagle is actually ok but there is a problem communicating with Oddesey (in which case hopefully Mars Express will have more luck).
    6. There was a problem with the on board computer clock and beagle either failed to 'wake up' or it is waking up at the wrong times and so we are missing the communications.
    7. It could have been blown off course and landed in completely the wrong place (unlikely since the radio telescope sweep last night saw no trace of it)

Aparently, if it has survived, it can last for a few weeks before it dies so there is some hope. Some additonal radio telescopes in America are meant to be joining in the search for beagle.

I personally think that something went wrong on landing and it has been destoyed. After all that method of landing has only been tried once before and so is far from a proven science. Hopefully when Mars Express gets on the scene it may spread some light as to what happened.
    some people reckon aliens have stole it or destroyed it so we cant find out the truth

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eric bischoff)
    some people reckon aliens have stole it or destroyed it so we cant find out the truth
    lol those people need to get an education!

ReputationRep:
    two things isnt there a US statilite in orbit in mars at moment which is checking as it can see the surface in detail and arent also the US sending 2 rovers some time some to Mars, "Discovery" and the 2nd name has eluded me. surely these must have backup statilites that could check.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanMushMan)
    i think the americans are blocking any signal because they're jealous the British could launch such a programme without blowing a massive budget.
    They wouldn't be that nasty. But Beagle 2 looks like a pretty posh piece of equipment, but I haven't looked at many diagrams of space probes.

Does anybody here believe the theories that they never landed on the moon in 1969? With all the hopeless "scientific" evidence that they didn't that was later disproved by real scientists?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speciez99)
    two things isnt there a US statilite in orbit in mars at moment which is checking as it can see the surface in detail and arent also the US sending 2 rovers some time some to Mars, "Discovery" and the 2nd name has eluded me. surely these must have backup statilites that could check.
    Yeah the US have the satelite 'Oddesey' in orbit around Mars. This has failed to detect Beagle 2 although they think there mayb a problem as it wasn't designed to talk to the US sat.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah the US have the satelite 'Oddesey' in orbit around Mars. This has failed to detect Beagle 2 although they think there mayb a problem as it wasn't designed to talk to the US sat.
    Which is a big problem. i.e. putting a round cylinder in a square hole...

ReputationRep:
    do you actually know what this thread is about?
    Nope. (duh)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilovecjs)
    Nope. (duh)
    Oh...hang on..yes I do. It's that space thing. Hehe. I knew that all along. I was just..testing...

ReputationRep:
    God Eric you are truly the most irritating person ever.

You call some scientists who managed to send a device to mars 'thick' ?

You didn't even bother to find out for yourself that mars express couldn't be used until January.

Now who is the thick one.

Adam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by byb3)

You didn't even bother to find out for yourself that mars express couldn't be used until January.

Adam
    *hand points to eric

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    *hand points to eric
    *hand points to herself*
    Oops.
    *points to Eric*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefish_uk)
    The chances of anything coming from Mars are a million to one, they said.

The chances of anything coming from Mars are a million to one, but still, they come.

Anyone else like War of the Worlds?
    Uuuulllllaaaaaaa!!!

WOTW rocks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by byb3)

Adam
    oh f**k off you annoying tit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanMushMan)
    i think the americans are blocking any signal because they're jealous the British could launch such a programme without blowing a massive budget.
    lol i was thinkin that as well.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly! Most people think it's just frequency and orbital position that matters, but it isn't! Here is a quote from Professor Colin Pillinger, chief scientist of the Beagle:

"You have to liken this to the early days of mobile phones,'' he said. "We've got one mobile phone, one mobile phone mast and one satellite, and we have to match these things up and it's not that easy."

Personally', I think that Beagle hasn't sent a signal yet. Otherwise it would have been picked up by the Joddrel radio telescope or one of the other radio telescopes in the world that are currently listening. There can be loads of reasons for this, but hopefully they will find out by early january.

ReputationRep:
    I've formed my own conspiracy theory if anyone's interested. As NASA were the one's who were supposed to pick up the signal maybe they initially received it but didn't want to let anyone know, and have no done something so that the british radio transmitter can't pick up the signals. They may have done this to stio the Brits rivalling them. As I said, I'm not saying this happened, but in theory it could happen

ReputationRep:
    the americans can be behind something and if people dont find out the beagle 2 is going to die

ReputationRep:
    oh f**k off you annoying tit
    Now that is not nice. Apologise at once!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefish_uk)
    Now that is not nice. Apologise at once!
    i said that over 12 hours ago

ReputationRep:
    i said that over 12 hours ago
    So what. And you were probably pissed too. Or stoned.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.