Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What time do predicted grades get sent offf for UCAS (how long will i have to lick my teachers ring clean enough to eat my dinner off)

ReputationRep:
    they get sent off when you send your university application. teachers are not helping you in anyway if they exaggerate your predicted grades - you may end up being somewhere where the pressure is too great or where you are not suited.

ReputationRep:
    I managed to convince my teacher to give me a definite A prediction for R.S. even though I have a history of not doing work after the first term. So its possible, but if they don't think you have the ability then they won't give you the grade.

ReputationRep:
    im pretty sure i have the ability they always say you have great potential you just dont put the effort in, so i think they will put it up if i work my arse off

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mata)
    I managed to convince my teacher to give me a definite A prediction for R.S. even though I have a history of not doing work after the first term. So its possible, but if they don't think you have the ability then they won't give you the grade.
    Wow that sounds very like me. In my case it's because I get really fired up and raring to go after a break, especially if I'm starting at a new place because I want to prove what I can do straight away. By the next term, I've used up lots of energy and the novelty's worn off, I've already shown I'm capable, and I start getting lazy. Am definitely not going to write that in my statement though

ReputationRep:
    wat happens if u do alot better than ur predicted grades ( i meaan like u study really hard)??

ReputationRep:
    Your teachers will probably base your predicted grades on a combination of your AS results, any A2 coursework you've completed by the time your application is sent off and the work you've done since September of Year 12. If you apply in early January, that gives you 4 months to work hard and convince your teachers to give you high predictions, but for any medicine/Oxbridge applicants, you only have a month really.

Nemo199: Unfortunately it makes sense to choose your universities based on your predicted grades, so for example if you were predicted BCC, you wouldn't apply to a university that wanted ABB. If when your results come out, you've done a lot better than you were predicted, ie you got AAB, you'd have to either settle for the university you accepted as your firm, try to find a better one through clearing (quite unlikely) or reapply the next year.

ReputationRep:
    ohh ok..just curious..thanx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Bethany*)
    I get really fired up and raring to go after a break, especially if I'm starting at a new place because I want to prove what I can do straight away. By the next term, I've used up lots of energy and the novelty's worn off, I've already shown I'm capable, and I start getting lazy.

Exactly! The motivation just seeps away...

I've found that teachers (esp english language) mark based on what they think you can do, rather than the homework you put in front of them. I remember getting an A+ in a piece of work, when I had forgotten to give in a whole double A4 sheet of it! She just ticked relevent words and assumed the whole thing was an A because of my first few weeks of work!

Ridiculous... but quite useful for those of us who try at first and then just sod it all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    Unfortunately it makes sense to choose your universities based on your predicted grades, so for example if you were predicted BCC, you wouldn't apply to a university that wanted ABB.
    I do agree with that, but I just wanted to say that it shouldn't put you off applying to somewhere if you'd really like to go there.

My predicted grades weren't that great but I still applied to a course asking for AAA-ABB anyway, because I really wanted to be there and thought I'd be great for the course (how arrogant of me!). After reading my PS and references, the admissions guy must have agreed because he invited me for an interview and I did eventually get an offer of BBB.

So my point is, even if you don't think you've got the grades, give it a go anyway, because you might get lucky and/or impress the admissions people sufficiently for them to want you there!

However, make sure you've got a few decent back-ups that you'd also be happy going to, just in case it doesn't all work out

University open days

• Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of the West of England, Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon - Frenchay Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of East London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
Poll
Are you chained to your phone?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.