The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Yes, it is the european round of the "maths challenge". You have to score fairly well to get in then the questions are harder. I sat the paper when I was in year 11 and got a certificate of participation. Guess that means got enough questions right to enter, but was crap in it.
Reply 2
It's one of two follow-on round to the Intermediate Maths Challenge. You either get invited to do the Kangaroo or the Intermediate Maths Olympiad. I think the difference is the Kangaroo is multiple choice, but the Olympiad asks for full solutions etc. either way you have to be quite a bit above the gold boundary on the Intermediate Maths Challenge to get onto either round. Usually somewhere around 90 marks.

This is what it says on the UKMT site about them

The European Kangaroo Foundation is an international organisation based in Paris which organises the Europe-wide European Kangaroo. The name sounds strange, but recognises the fact that the European organisation was inspired by the Australian Mathematics Trust. Each year two and a half million school pupils across Europe (and beyond) take part at various levels. So when you sit the Kangaroo you are part of a huge European community of maths students. The UKMT has been involved in Kangaroo activities for several years and uses the hour-long multiple-choice papers (in English) as an extension to the Intermediate Challenge.

For those who do exceptionally well in the Intermediate Challenge and who would benefit from stretching themselves further, there is the two-hour Intermediate Mathematical Olympiad, which takes place on the same day as the Kangaroo. It consists of six problems to which students are asked to provide full written solutions, providing a chance to look a little deeper into mathematical problems and to explore mathematical proofs. The paper is written and marked by the UKMT.
Reply 3
Oh we were always told that we'd get an olympiad place if we did exceptionally well on the kangaroo.

Latest