The Student Room Group

A-level Latin

I'm going to be taking two A-levels next year at a London college -- English Literature and Government and Politics.

I'm thinking though, that I would enjoy Latin more than English Literature. For starters, can one do A-level Latin without having done it at GCSE?

Also, since I'm Portuguese (as you know, a latin based language), would it be less impressive than English Literature on my UCAS application?

I've already done Business Studies A-level (B), Portuguese A-level (A), Evironmental Science AS (b) and English language (b) and have a foundation in art and design from a London university with a distinction. The reason I'm doing these two others is so I can apply for PPE courses as well as a few Politics courses at good universities (Durham, etc..).

Anyway, what do you think?

EDIT: Keep in mind, I'd be taking this over a year.
I'm not sure whether you can do A-level Latin without GCSE, but I don't think it would be any less impressive because you're Portuguese. I wouldn't expect your Portuguese A-level to impress anyone though! If you can do Latin from scratch, do that as you'll enjoy it more, put more work in and probably get a better grade. If not, take English lit. Try contacting the college to see what their entry requirements are for Latin.
Reply 2
Thanks, I actually just checked and most syllabuses do mention GCSE as a requirement. i guess that's outta the question.
Thinking about Economics too... could be a good alternative as I just checked the syllabus and it looks quite interesting.

BTW, the Portuguese is Language and Literature, but yeah, definitely not impressive.
Reply 3
I doubt you could do A Level Latin from scratch, most people in my school who've been doing Latin since they were 8 found GCSE pretty nasty. If may be more likely that you can do the GCSE? Economics you can definitely do from scratch, most schools don't offer it at GCSE but they do at A Level
English Lit would probably be more useful than Latin, and even maybe Economics to get into a PPE course, although if you do the Economics then when you get into PPE you'll have some grounding in economics and it won't be completely new
Reply 5
You need GCSE-standard Latin in order to do the A level course: like most languages, you build on what you already know. But as someone else suggested, you could always take a GCSE course in Latin alongside your A levels.

Latest