Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Heya,
    right i had decided that i was going to go to sixth form (psycology, english lang, drama + ?) But now have read throught the prospectus in my local college to do with the child care(all of them) courses. I would really like to work with people helping them in the future and am now in a dilemma of what to do? I honestly am really suck of what to do? can anyone help me to choose which would get me into a better job?(i dont mean money wise! )

ReputationRep:
    Get some proper black and white A levels behind you.

As for sixth form or college it depends on the person. I am find university/college better because you are required to do a lot more working of your own back you can select what work you want to do etc. At sixth form college they give you homework still!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    Get some proper black and white A levels behind you.

As for sixth form or college it depends on the person. I am find university/college better because you are required to do a lot more working of your own back you can select what work you want to do etc. At sixth form college they give you homework still!
    I agree with the whole getting academic A levels thing. If you're planning to go to university I'd say go to college - I can honestly say that I do think the fact I went ot one instead of a school really helped me, whereas some people who just went to 6th forms had problems adjusting.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CrzySxyCool)
    Heya,
    right i had decided that i was going to go to sixth form (psycology, english lang, drama + ?) But now have read throught the prospectus in my local college to do with the child care(all of them) courses. I would really like to work with people helping them in the future and am now in a dilemma of what to do? I honestly am really suck of what to do? can anyone help me to choose which would get me into a better job?(i dont mean money wise! )
    do what you really want to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hildabeast)
    I agree with the whole getting academic A levels thing. If you're planning to go to university I'd say go to college - I can honestly say that I do think the fact I went ot one instead of a school really helped me, whereas some people who just went to 6th forms had problems adjusting.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    I think that is one of the reasons I have found university quite easy as I had already got used to learning the basics from a tutor and then teaching yourself the rest by doing my own research.

At sixth form they tend to hold your hand more, which means you may find it easier to get good A level results but when you go to university and you are forced to teach a lot it for yourself to get a high mark then people find it a shock.

At my univrersity they tend to teach you enough to get a 40%, if you want more than that you have to do your own reading,

I am glad I went to college because I was allowed to show my full potential there.

ReputationRep:
    what kind of results do you have to get to say do English or psycology at a decent uni?

ReputationRep:
    what kind of results do you have to get to say do English or psycology at a decent uni?
    wanna good uni try for a*

ReputationRep:
    well i go to a sixth form and i enjoy it, especially as it meant I stayed for a while longer with all my friends. I do not get my hand held, especially my history teachers just throw you out and say you should no that and you have to do lots of background reading.

ReputationRep:
    As, eric a a* is only at GCSE

ReputationRep:
    An A at A2 level in the one you choose, then proberly B's in the other 2 subjects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JSM)
    As, eric a a* is only at GCSE
    damn.
    ok a (is that right?)

ReputationRep:
    If you want to do those subjects at a top Uni, you'll probably need at least ABB, a lot will want AAB for English. At a not quite top but still respected Uni, you could probably get away with BBB or slightly less if you're really lucky.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eric bischoff)
    damn.
    ok a (is that right?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eric bischoff)
    wanna good uni try for a*
    well if i get a B in English for Gvse what will i be expected to get for A level (working at the same pace and diffuclty as gcse)???

ReputationRep:
    well if i get a B in English for Gvse what will i be expected to get for A level (working at the same pace and diffuclty as gcse)???
    Working just as hard as you did for GCSE - maybe a D?

ReputationRep:
    I know lot's of people who did child care - they are all now working in supermarkets or fast food places - strongly recommend against this route!

ReputationRep:
    oh yes and ive just found out what would be my Psycology(theres only one in the 's!This has really put me off!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)
    Working just as hard as you did for GCSE - maybe a D?
    i dont mean it oike that i mean if youve got the abilty to get a B in gcse what would you be able to get at A level?

ReputationRep:
    depends when you academically mature, but if you work hard, apply yourself and have a good teacher...anyone can get an A

ReputationRep:
    oh yes and ive just found out what would be my Psycology(theres only one in the 's!This has really put me off!
    that went wrong!It said that most decent students struggle to get D's!

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.