Turn on thread page Beta

Sixth form or College! arg :p watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CrzySxyCool)
    well if i get a B in English for Gvse what will i be expected to get for A level (working at the same pace and diffuclty as gcse)???
    I would assume a B as well, but depends on your progress in class and your teachers. If you're doing really well in class, then you're teacher might be persuaded to predict you an A.....also...it depends on whether the A-level is English Lit. or Lang...

G

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)
    depends when you academically mature, but if you work hard, apply yourself and have a good teacher...anyone can get an A
    what do you mean accademically?

ReputationRep:
    well if i get a B in English for Gvse what will i be expected to get for A level (working at the same pace and diffuclty as gcse)???
    A B at GCSE shows that you can do well in the subject, and should be able to get a decent pass at A Level- probably more than a D, anyway. An A isn't out of reach if you work hard for it.

Plus, GCSEs aren't necessarily an indication of performance at A Level. I know people who got A* for a particular subject at GCSE and then came out with a D in that subject at AS. It depends on how much effort you put in.

ReputationRep:
    what do you mean accademically?
    Well, some people mature as academic students at a later stage than others. So people may become much better in school during 6th form etc...

ReputationRep:
    I haven't read all the other posts. But if you are happy at your school and think you will work best there, then stay. If there are doubts in your mind that you will work better and be happier then go to college

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)
    Well, some people mature as academic students at a later stage than others. So people may become much better in school during 6th form etc...
    oh right! well i do try but i lack concentration!i know that sound silly but im a daydreamer, i just sit there and think about things then the teacher will say "right you have 50 mins, begin" and i'll be like "huh"!i try hard in english though!But im better at writing emotional stories than anything else!which is where i might go wrong in english, as it seems to be all about other things, i recently wrote a short autobiography and got an A ! but did another piece on poems and barely scraped a B!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happysunshine)
    I haven't read all the other posts. But if you are happy at your school and think you will work best there, then stay. If there are doubts in your mind that you will work better and be happier then go to college
    i was just wondering where i will get better or be pushed harder to do something!

ReputationRep:
    i was just wondering where i will get better or be pushed harder to do something!
    What is your school like? Do you like the people there? Do you have lot's of friends? What is the schools A-Level results like compared to the college? Are A-Levels for you? Do you like the staff? Do you feel you are stretched to your full intelligence? Are you in a healthy learning atmosphere?

ReputationRep:
    What is your school like? Do you like the people there? Do you have lot's of friends? What is the schools A-Level results like compared to the college? Are A-Levels for you? Do you like the staff? Do you feel you are stretched to your full intelligence? Are you in a healthy learning atmosphere?
    My school hasnt got a very good reputation,i get on well with everyonr and have loadz and loadz of friends,i like the staff but have found out that my (very nice to talk to)pyscology teacher isnt very good at teaching the subject, and no i dont real i am stretched to my full intelligence!

ReputationRep:
    My school hasnt got a very good reputation,i get on well with everyonr and have loadz and loadz of friends,i like the staff but have found out that my (very nice to talk to)pyscology teacher isnt very good at teaching the subject, and no i dont real i am stretched to my full intelligence!
    Have you looked around your college? It's difficult to say if it'd be any better as there are some bad colleges. You have to decide what is more important to you, to risk your friendships and go to college or stay at school and risk your education. Although it may not be the case as your friends may go to college too

ReputationRep:
    Have you looked around your college? It's difficult to say if it'd be any better as there are some bad colleges. You have to decide what is more important to you, to risk your friendships and go to college or stay at school and risk your education. Although it may not be the case as your friends may go to college too
    yeah i do motor vehicle studies as one of my subjects and do it on mondays! The colege is nice, but i think the teachers in sixth form would help alot more.

ReputationRep:
    yeah i do motor vehicle studies as one of my subjects and do it on mondays! The colege is nice, but i think the teachers in sixth form would help alot more.
    Well only you can make the descision. But a wise thing to do would to be go where you will get the most aid in your studies and that appears to be your sixth form.

ReputationRep:
    i dont mean it oike that i mean if youve got the abilty to get a B in gcse what would you be able to get at A level?
    Yes!! It all depends on your attitude but I got higher grades at A level than I ever did at GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    It all depends. But I'd say you'd be looking around the D/C/B.

ReputationRep:
    oh right! well i do try but i lack concentration!i know that sound silly but im a daydreamer, i just sit there and think about things then the teacher will say "right you have 50 mins, begin" and i'll be like "huh"!i try hard in english though!But im better at writing emotional stories than anything else!which is where i might go wrong in english, as it seems to be all about other things, i recently wrote a short autobiography and got an A ! but did another piece on poems and barely scraped a B!

This dosn't matter too much. The main thing is do you have an ability to learn stuff by yourself on your own free will? If so you will do well at A levels if not you may struggle.

I know people that could not do A levels at despite them doing well in their GCSES. This is because at A levels you are required to do a lot more work of your own back.

I found GCSE's just turned me off and I was really disinterested by at Advanced level I was much more interested in what I was learning so I did well.

Child care is probably a bit of a dead route in terms of career prospects though.

ReputationRep:
    I agree you it depends on what you are good at anyway. There is quite a lot to get through in A Level English lit so you would need concentration. Also if you are considering English at degree level, realise that you are expected to do about 10 times the volume of work as at GCSE or A Level and you really need to love the subject to take it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)

Child care is probably a bit of a dead route in terms of career prospects though.
    The childcare students at our college don't exactly has a great reputation for their intelligence. I know one of them did a BTEC in something or other related to child care, and then went on to study nursing at Uni. But I doubt most of the will get that far.

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.