Turn on thread page Beta

Claires accesories- JUST DONT WORK THERE watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    At 'Smiths we get paid for any extra time so long as note it down on the rota... Judging by other posts, though, you were just extremely lucky with your manager :/ The people you work with/ for really seem to make a job. I don't know if I could get through a shift without the other people I work with!!

ReputationRep:
    i hate that shop!

ReputationRep:
    Just tell them that you want paying or you wont work its as simple as that.
    Find out some more about working regulations and then just quote it all to them, thats what I do at work where I used to get no breaks for a 9 hour shift and then they had the cheek to take off half an hour!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elusive Moose)
    At 'Smiths we get paid for any extra time so long as note it down on the rota... Judging by other posts, though, you were just extremely lucky with your manager :/ The people you work with/ for really seem to make a job. I don't know if I could get through a shift without the other people I work with!!
    i'm assuming you actually meant unlucky, heh! But yes, I agree. I work for the smae company, but I don't get forced to wear the hen night range, I get paid for tidy up, et cetera.

Believe me, it just sounds like her managers, not company policy as a whole.

Yes, there are many times when I don't like my job, but very few people do enjoy their work!

Her complaints apply to retail, not just Claire's.

ReputationRep:
    While I'll admit that piercing youngsters can be absolutely traumatic, and perhaps somewhat unethical, by most state laws it is none the less legal, and by accepting a position higher than "Sales Associate" you yourslf would have accepted that responsibility. Considering that an average ear peircing costs $36.00US, after a month and a half on the job, it shoud come as no shock as to why those services are pushed.

In six months, I have NEVER had a child vomit all over the floor or come anywhere near the point of fainting. Our store has been open for well over 2 years, and in talking to our other managers, we have never had a child vomit, nor have we had anyone pass out.

As far as pay on the closing shift goes, I'll admit the Time & Attendance system needs work. Upon closing your final register, the logged in manager/associate will be clocked out. So, if you close out your cash reports before you recover & clean the store completely, you CAN lose out. So It's important to note that you should clean the store before you run your final closing reports. If you should happen to stay later, either you need to know how to modify time punches, or your asst/store manager needs to fix them for you. If in doubt, you should always advise your DSM of questions, problems, during your nightly voice mail callin.

Here's a bit of life advice people. No reputable company expects you to work for free. It is against state and federal employment statutes. Trust me, the fines are 100 times worse than paying you what they owe you. The number one rule in retail, is to watch out for your own ass. There are avenues for disputing/fixing these kinds of things..... and unfortunately, you've got to do a lot of leg work for yourself. Seriously, do you like getting screwed over??

P.S. In oregon, the pay is reasonable, and I've never been forced to wear some degrading sash... Nor has anyone else in my store.. However, sometimes you'll be asked to promote certain store products... Perhaps wearing one would be a way to show one of the products off... You know, in your job as a retail sales person..... Just a thought...

And as far as "contract" goes... There is no contract. It's a job descritption. It lets you know what is expected of you as a claires employee. The document also lets you know what to expect from the company. If the "contract" says you'll be paid for all hours worked, then why are you *****ing here instead of laughing all the way to the bank with a judgment against the company? That sounds pretty clear to me...

And by the way, off the clock or not, insurance will pay for any injury that happens in the store... The fact that you weren't clocked in will no doubt raise a few red flags, as it SHOULD, but none the less, the claim WOULD be paid.

One of the few Claire's Boys...

Ryan..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bearboy96)
    And by the way, off the clock or not, insurance will pay for any injury that happens in the store... The fact that you weren't clocked in will no doubt raise a few red flags, as it SHOULD, but none the less, the claim WOULD be paid.

One of the few Claire's Boys...

Ryan..

It works a bit differently here.. In my store, the manager (or acting manager) puts all hours worked by all employees in that day through the main till. We don't clock on and off. In some ways this system is better, in others worse. But I like it.

As for being paid tidy up, well, that's down to her regional manager. I get paid for it.

As has been said before, she just got unlucky with her store, I think.

Hayley
    One of the many MANY Claire's girls (though only for one more shift!)

Poll
Are you chained to your phone?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.