Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi again, all,

Does anybody else have problems with seriously overprotective parents? My dad's fine, he's on my side, but my mom, she must be evil. She doesn't let me do stuff like go to town on my own, even to meet friends (I live in Birmingham, about 15mins bus ride from the centre from the bottom of my road, friends live all over the city), she insists on following me. She'll (seriously!) run to the front door screaming "Nooooo!" and bury herself in the corner next to the door handle so I'd have to forcefully remove her to get out. There are countless times this has happened.

Also last summer all my friends were going on a great trip to Tanzania for a month and I nearly went on it, until my mom began to look for every excuse possible to stop me, taking the opportunity posed by the cancelling of flights to Nairobi (the organiser of the trip had to reshuffle the flights a bit) to stop me going. If that hadn't have come, she'd have tried to stop me going some other way.

I've tried talking to her but she's still the same. I'm 15 years old, all my friends can do pretty much what they want. Mom always has some lame excuse!

Does anyone have any advice? Or parents just as bad, or worse?

ReputationRep:
    Talk to her about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefish_uk)
    Hi again, all,

Does anybody else have problems with seriously overprotective parents? My dad's fine, he's on my side, but my mom, she must be evil. She doesn't let me do stuff like go to town on my own, even to meet friends (I live in Birmingham, about 15mins bus ride from the centre from the bottom of my road, friends live all over the city), she insists on following me. She'll (seriously!) run to the front door screaming "Nooooo!" and bury herself in the corner next to the door handle so I'd have to forcefully remove her to get out. There are countless times this has happened.

Also last summer all my friends were going on a great trip to Tanzania for a month and I nearly went on it, until my mom began to look for every excuse possible to stop me, taking the opportunity posed by the cancelling of flights to Nairobi (the organiser of the trip had to reshuffle the flights a bit) to stop me going. If that hadn't have come, she'd have tried to stop me going some other way.

I've tried talking to her but she's still the same. I'm 15 years old, all my friends can do pretty much what they want. Mom always has some lame excuse!

my parents were like that.So what i done was done things i werent allowed to do and when they seen me do it they knew i could do the things sensibly.You got to be naughty to be good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eric bischoff)
    my parents were like that.So what i done was done things i werent allowed to do and when they seen me do it they knew i could do the things sensibly.You got to be naughty to be good.
    Yeah, lol. Some time I'm going to rush out when she's on the toilet or something, she'll probably come after me though.

I try talking, it doesn't work. So does my dad.

Perhaps she has a mental problem?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, lol. Some time I'm going to rush out when she's on the toilet or something, she'll probably come after me though.

I try talking, it doesn't work. So does my dad.

Perhaps she has a mental problem?
    Just be really sad and stuff, blank her etc etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)
    Just be really sad and stuff, blank her etc etc
    Then she'll ask loads of pointless questions and pretend to get all upset.

Gotta go now, food, be back soon.

ReputationRep:
    Then she'll ask loads of pointless questions and pretend to get all upset.

Gotta go now, food, be back soon.
    Ignore her, show lack of emotion - when you can see she is really upset lay on the sob story of how you have missed trips,partys, seeing friends etc because of her interfering in your life.

ReputationRep:
    just as bad, but she is trying to care for you, just show how sensible you are and they tend to let you out

ReputationRep:
    My parents are a little overprotective. But I wouldn't be were I am now without this kind of upbringing.

ReputationRep:
    Hi again, all,

If you can't talk you should write a letter. I think it's quite amusing that she sits in front of the door to stop you going. Normally, they just say no and that's it.

She needs to start listening to you, you're not a little kid anymore and you need your independence. You need to make her sympathise with you. "All my friends go out but me, I feel lonely and I feel like my friends don't want to see me anymore because I can never go out" or "I need some independence, and you can't keep me wrapped up in cotton wool forever, I'm 15!!!"

And if that still doesn't work then, just annoy her all the time and go on about it everyday. Let her see how lonely you are and don't give up until she lets you go.

ReputationRep:
    My parents used to be overprotective of me...probably not as much as yours sound...but what you've got to do is to prove to them that you can be trusted. One way of doing this is to let them meet a good friend of yours...one who's really trustworthy and sensible...and make sure they know this...

Then, if you go out with this mate...then your parents will tend to be less overprotective of you, because they know that you'll be with someone that they trust to keep an eye on you.

That's why it should be a good friend of yours....otherwise you'll be spending loads of time with someone you might not really like as much.

Hope it helps...

G

ReputationRep:
    Hi again, all,

Ring the Police! That is almost like keeping you hostage! lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NikNak)
    Ring the Police! That is almost like keeping you hostage! lol
    Interesting idea, but she'd somehow turn them round to her side or they'd tell me to grow up.

She will let me do stuff with friends, just she has to be available to take me, which normally isn't the case so I miss out and it's embarrassing when she does.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, I thought my mom was bad.
    That's abit too overprotective if you ask me, it sounds like she is afraid something bad is going to happen to you. She hasn't lost a child or maybe a sibling in the past has she? That would at least explain her behavior. I know you said you've tried but really the only thing you can do is talk to her and proove that your are responsible enough to handle some freedom.
    Suggest that she can call you on your cell phone(if you have one if not suggest you get one) every hour until she adjusts and is able to cope.
    You made reference to her mental status, you should talk to your dad about that if you really think her actions are unfounded.
    Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry this is slightly off-topic but are you originally from America? -'Mom'

---

That aside -does she let you go and see films etc with your friends/go round their houses? Maybe if you let her know in advance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Egan1)
    Sorry this is slightly off-topic but are you originally from America? -'Mom'

yes she is

ReputationRep:
    I can do pretty much what I want. I am doing some major building work in my bedroom after christmas and my parents don't even mind! I am turning into a studio (with a bed).

I can also go out when I ever I want etc, I've never bought a girl back though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Infinity)
    LOL, originally and still am.
    <--------
    I know you are- was asking about thefish_uk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    I can do pretty much what I want. I am doing some major building work in my bedroom after christmas and my parents don't even mind! I am turning into a studio (with a bed).

I can also go out when I ever I want etc, I've never bought a girl back though.
    'Bought' or 'brought'? (just checking)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Infinity)
    Wow, I thought my mom was bad.
    That's abit too overprotective if you ask me, it sounds like she is afraid something bad is going to happen to you. She hasn't lost a child or maybe a sibling in the past has she? That would at least explain her behavior. I know you said you've tried but really the only thing you can do is talk to her and proove that your are responsible enough to handle some freedom.
    Suggest that she can call you on your cell phone(if you have one if not suggest you get one) every hour until she adjusts and is able to cope.
    You made reference to her mental status, you should talk to your dad about that if you really think her actions are unfounded.
    Good luck.
    haha,

I have a mobile phone.

And when I talk about mental problems I'm not that serious, she's just a bit mad, she just wants control of me as she's had for the last 15 years, her mom and dad are extremely miserable like that too.

I have a miserable mom.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.