Northumbria Accomodation - Glenamara House??!!?

Watch
jackbennett139
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Hi there!
I think I'm heading up north to northumbria next september and I was thinking of applying to stay at Glenamara House. I'm not really too fussed about facilities and en suite and stuff, and I can do work in basically any environment. I just want the funnest halls with the best community vibe to it and the one where I can make the most friends!
If anyone has any clue about the accomodation at northumbria, I'd really appreciate it!
thanks again peeeeooooooplllleee!
jackbennett139
Rep:
?
there must be someone here who has an idea about northumbria accomodation? anyone? also, is claud gibb a good halls for parties or is it just a bit of rubbish?
missdee
Report 11 years ago
Hey. I've just applied for my accommodation for northumbria too. I asked a few friends who stayed there when they went, and apparently Claud Gibb is a good one although catered. I heard Glenamara wasn't too bad either
anon2010
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
go for acom in the city center if you want to have fun and the after first year you will be able to decide if you wanna stay there.
as for wanting to be around fun people i dint think you can guess that before you go coz you dont know who will be applying to what accomidation. however which a place in the city center you are close to all the pub, bars attraction and shops and you will be able to other who are partying and such.

that is all the advice i an give you but i hope it helps.
jackbennett139
Rep:
?
i thought claud gibb was good as it's not divided into smaller flats but i want to make sure i'm not applying for one thats just of a really poor quality
MichaelNUFriend
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Hi, I'm a first year at Northumbria.
I personally didn't apply to Claude Gibb simply because it's catered, but I know people who live there and I've been and it's quite good. It isn't divided into smaller flats like some of the other accommodation (Camden Court, Glenamara House, Stephenson Building, Quay Point) so you interact with pretty much everyone on your floor. I live in the Stephenson Building at the moment, which doesn't have the best rep, but I absolutely love it, I live in a flat with 5 other people and we have a kitchen/living area together. There are 4 flats on each floor, so you get to know a lot of people not just the ones you live with. I think you'll have a good time with pretty much anywhere you choose, the only main issues are how far away from campus you want to be and if you want catered or non-catered.
LauraNUFriend
Report 11 years ago
Hi, Im in Quay point at the minute and i really like it, i like how its divided into smaller flats as its more like having your own flat rather than just living ina room on a corridor. Some of the "corridor" halls dont have a common room on each floor so this iis something to consider. Also its great having an En-Suite. I have friends in Glenamara who really like it and the bed rooms are bigger than quay point's maybe this is because they dont have a separate living room?? The majority of the accommodation is really close to the city centre, its less than 10 minutes from quay point to the city centre (i think it looks further away on the maps) and Knoll Court is just next to quay point (less than 1 min walk). But wherever you choose im sure you will meet some great people.
LauraNUFriend
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by jackbennett139)
i thought claud gibb was good as it's not divided into smaller flats but i want to make sure i'm not applying for one thats just of a really poor quality
I have been in Claude Gibb and again the rroms are bigger than mine, you do get a sink but its not en-suite, if this doesn't bother you then thats ok. The quality of the rooms isn't as good you can tell that they aren't as modern but they are perfectly good student accommodation. Why not arrange a visit to view the accommodation that you are considering so you have a better idea of what you need.
Dr_Zaius
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I've heard glenmara is supposed to be ok, I'm starting Northumbria in september and have put glenmara as my 1st choice
MichaelNUFriend
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
If you guys get a chance the best thing to do is come to an open day. They usually have organised tours of the accommodation and that way you can check out the city too
M.Moody
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by MichaelNUFriend)
If you guys get a chance the best thing to do is come to an open day. They usually have organised tours of the accommodation and that way you can check out the city too
When is the next open day? I seem to have misplaced my letter with all the details :/
jackbennett139
Rep:
?
thanks for all the posts people! made my decision and gone for glenamera first choice, claude gibb second and quay point third! and no time for an open day, off to Oz tomorrow!
LauraNUFriend
Report 11 years ago
Hi, there is an open day on Friday the 18th of June and another one on Saturday 9th October, however if your applying to start in September 2010 then the one in June is the one you need. There will be a few halls of accommodation open so you can view it, however i knew i wanted en-suite so i just applied for that then when i got my offer for quay point through then i booked a private visit (this was over the summer when the current students had moved out).
Dr_Zaius
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I did look round them and thought all the self catered ones looks fine, the catered one behind the SI (can't remember its name) is a bit weird I though, long halls with lots of rooms, looked like American style dorms!
LauraNUFriend
Report 11 years ago
The catered one behind the Student Union is called Claude Gibb, its quite good as the rooms are a really good size and althoug it isn't en-suite the rooms all have their own sink which is quite handy. Plus having lots of people ali=ong the corridor means that you can meet more new people,
MichaelNUFriend
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by M.Moody)
When is the next open day? I seem to have misplaced my letter with all the details :/
As Laura said above, the open days are Friday the 18th June and Saturday the 9th October, although obviously the June one is the one you'll need if it's to look at accommodation for September.
Dr_Zaius
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by LauraNUFriend)
The catered one behind the Student Union is called Claude Gibb, its quite good as the rooms are a really good size and althoug it isn't en-suite the rooms all have their own sink which is quite handy. Plus having lots of people ali=ong the corridor means that you can meet more new people,
Think thats the one, I stayed there on the open day as it was too far to travel in one day, the rooms are huge yes compared to normal uni rooms, and you are right next to libary and bars, but I don't think I would like the format, alot of people would though I suspect.

I'm hoping to get Glenmara and suspect I will as I have a confirmed place so will be assigned in June/July before most people get results.
LauraNUFriend
Report 11 years ago
Yes, its really close but the majority of the accommodation is right in the centre, im in Quay point which is one of the furthest away (its by the quay side) but even then it only takes 5-10 minutes to walk so not long really. Personally i prefered being divided into smaller flats however i think some people will prefer being in bigger halls. Glenemara has good size rooms too and a lot of storage space.
M.Moody
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by MichaelNUFriend)
As Laura said above, the open days are Friday the 18th June and Saturday the 9th October, although obviously the June one is the one you'll need if it's to look at accommodation for September.
Thank you, was crapping myself thinking I missed them all.
MichaelNUFriend
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by M.Moody)
Thank you, was crapping myself thinking I missed them all.
No worries, if you need anything else just give me a shout
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (191)
43.71%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (49)
11.21%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (35)
8.01%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (91)
20.82%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (46)
10.53%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (25)
5.72%

Watched Threads