How do A Levels compare with AP Watch

bangalore fellow
Badges: 2
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I'm wondering how do the A Levels compare with the American AP Courses (Advanced Placement). I already prepared for the AP Exams, and have done quite well on the practice tests. However, AP is only considered for credit in the US and not for admission, whereas the A Levels are considered for admissions worldwide and credit in the US.

I've already gotten my books for the A Levels, please note I'm taking them privately. I'm taking Chemistry and Biology for certain, and haven't decided on the other subjects. So far, they look to be very similar, but I'm still very paranoid on A Levels. I'll be doing them in 1 year, taking the AS exam this November and A2 next May/June. But I've already prepared for AP, so I don't think there will be much of a problem, but I'm still very paranoid :p: Can you please compare both courses?
LittleMissDramaQueen
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Well I have a friend who has lived in the US and England so I can only judge from her.

As far as she is concerned the SAT examinations are equal to that of our GCSEs and in some cases AS levels.
The AP classes however can differ. Traditionally they are equavilant to the first year of college in the US...however the first year of college in the US, is in some circumstances (particularly sciences...although depends on the college) is actually considered relatively close to A2.

A2 is certainly harder than SATs regardless. AP on the other hand can vary. But in most cases A levels are generally considered harder. This is normally as AP courses do and will vary...yet A levels don't. Also as you mentioned AP is merely for credit yet A levels are generally considered for admissions world wide. A levels also will cover more topics and go into more depth...you must take this into consideration. Also according british university requirements...3 AP courses is= 1 A level. You need at least 3 alevels (or equivalent)are needed to get you into any British Uni.

I have heard as well Chemistry is in particular a lot harder a level than AP...but good luck all the same. If you work hard I'm sure you can do it.
bangalore fellow
^ Thanks for the information.

I forgot to mention, I'm doing them with the CIE board, are they in any ways considerably much harder or anything, or should I not worry about it?
LittleMissDramaQueen
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Well CIE are an international board. From my own experience (albeit only on GCSEs) international boards tend to be slightly harder. Nevertheless only for an British student...they will benefit Americans,as they won't be entirely based on just the British curriculum.

Nevertheless I have started part CIE A level biology, already along side my iGCSE biology as well...and it doesn't seem that hard.

I found these on the CIE website... past papers...always a god send. I recommend you try them out. http://www.cie.org.uk/qualifications...?assdef_id=734

Have you also considered the Cambridge Pre U? I personally think these are much more in depth courses...particularly for international students??

Also, out of interest...are you taking a levels merely as credit...or are you considering enrolling in a british university? As there are alternative routes you can take...
bangalore fellow
Actually A Levels are my plan B, which's most likely what's going to happen since Indian Pre-University has proven useless (I'm in India currently, came from the US recently) I'm used to the conceptual, reasoning, and analytical type of learning I used to get in the US, unlike the ancient rote system in India. Universities all over the world require an 85% average for admission, which's nearly impossible (only 1.7% of students who write the Pre-University exams get above 85, and only about 40% of them pass). The AP curriculum was about half of the Indian Pre-University curriculum, its a joke in comparison.

I've already seen the CIE syllabus and past papers, they look quite similar to the way AP question are asked. But looking at those alone won't tell what the experience will be like.

I'm still not taking this easy, and I'm quite paranoid. Some of my friends say that they study only about 6 hours a week, they are quite bright and get A*'s, and say that I am easily capable to doing so too. But on the other hand, some people say the A Levels are a lot of work. I don't know, that cold be the people who are average, those who don't grasp and understand things easily and quickly. When I was in the US, I never studied and was an honors student with a GPA of about 3.8.
bangalore fellow
Anyone else know anything to compare the 2 please?
jkoo18
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
you are drunk if you think ap chem is harder than a level, many US students have clarified this
Gerry-Atricks
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by jkoo18)
you are drunk if you think ap chem is harder than a level, many US students have clarified this
really? 7 years later you post
jkoo18
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Stay mad
Williamchen77
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I want to know as well. I have four AP 5's and I am going to take 2 more next school year. I have achieved the minimum requirement, but I don't fell like being competitive at all.
qw1234
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Really depends on subject. AP physics harder than A level physics. AP chem easier than A level chem. So on. They are generally equivalent.
MarcoThePhoenix
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
AP physics harder than A level physics? AP Chem harder than Alevel CHem? Are you drunk?I have done CIE Fmaths so when I saw calculus used in AP physics, I could comprehend easily. AP Physics and Alevel Physics are different. However, Alevel Physics includes dynamics,electricity,magnetism, quantum physics ,and majority of chapters that the AP Physics divides into(like Physics:C, Physics:1,etc) In no way I feel AP physics is harder. I would say if you take all AP Physics modules and compare to CIE Physics, CIE Physics surpasses the AP; it's just the calculus used in AP that creates confusion.)AP Chem is a joke. Is it even Chem? AP Calc AB and Calc BC seem to be harder than A-level maths. But A-level maths is not just calculus......
deanpappademos
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
AP physics i personally found to be more difficult than it's A-level equivalent, but you also MUST take in to account when we take that exam. I took ap physics my 3rd year, when I had just turned 17. Most English people are taking GSCEs at that point and those tests are a joke. I then took AP physics 2, E
Ioniccopperflame
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Actually a 17 year old usually would be doing A level physics not GCSE physics...
Filthy Communist
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by deanpappademos)
AP physics i personally found to be more difficult than it's A-level equivalent, but you also MUST take in to account when we take that exam. I took ap physics my 3rd year, when I had just turned 17. Most English people are taking GSCEs at that point and those tests are a joke. I then took AP physics 2, E
Um... 16/17 is your first year of A levels and 17/18 is your second year. You do your GCSEs at 15/16. The new spec isn't exactly a joke, but the content is definitely less challenging than AP and A level, hence you do them earlier and generally take at least 9 of them.
anagha.g
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by deanpappademos)
GCSE's are taken when your 15-16 and you do your AS levels at 16-17 and A levels at 17-18. GCSEs are meant to be a test that everyone can do, it's a requirement for all students in education and we take 10-13 GCSEs in total.I agree GCSE's are definitely much easier than APs but you have to bear in mind APs are not done by all students. Instead of APs, most students do A-levels (which are not really optional, they are a requirement for uni) and A levels are generally considered more in depth. The only thing remotely close to the idea of AP in the UK, where it is optional, is further maths and that is quite difficult in comparison to the AP Math.
TheTroll73
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
this thread revived several times although OP would have already finished university by now.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Foundation Year Open Evening Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Jul '19
  • Regent's University London
    Psychotherapy Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Jul '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Jul '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (123)
19.55%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (59)
9.38%
No I am happy with my course choice (355)
56.44%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (92)
14.63%

Watched Threads