Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just to update, hospital pay starts at ~£23k+on call pay (Overall about £25-26k). Community pay starts at ~£32k pa post qualification.

ReputationRep:
    i concur

ReputationRep:
    Glad I'm not the only one who didn't like boots, some of the people that work there are right w*****s! (esp managers). They've got this thing now where they guarantee a pre reg place to someone whose done the 3rd yr placement, the problem with that is many people are getting someone else to fill out their online application form and therefore without an interview its easy to blag yourself in, which can't be good in the long run.

As for pay, it's better in hospital for pre reg (up to 23k in inner London) but it doesn't increase much thereafter and is ridiculously low at around the 26k mark; while in community its initially lower for pre reg (17-19k) but it nearly doubles once you pass the exam.

ReputationRep:
    Just for interest, and because my Pharm J just popped onto my mat, here are some salaries as of Aug 2007.

Newly qualified hospital- £22,886-£31,004
    Locum agency work- up to £33 ph (though I never go through an agency so charge around £25 for a weekday)
    Community position in Chesterfield- "£50K for the right applicant"
    Pharmacy manager private hospital circa £40,000
    Prescribing support pharmacist- £35,232-£42,278
    Associate director hospital pharmacy-£50,846-£64,826
    Pharmacy publishing- £27,641-£34,551
    Pharmacy academic research fellow- £27,446-£35,837

What amazes me is how much the experienced techs are earning now.

Locuming is cool though, freedom, builds experience and initiative, and well paid but no paperwork.

PS. I agree about Boots. I did my pre-reg in hospital so had to do a week in Boots to give me "community experience". By Friday I was ringing in sick. A really snooty pharmacist who pronounced cetirizine as "Cettryzine".

ReputationRep:
    So community is the best one to work in?
    ...AND I should avoid boots at all cost

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chiba_Revolution)
    So community is the best one to work in?
    ...AND I should avoid boots at all cost
    not necessarily, get work experience in a hospital pharmacy and see if you like it, many people do. as you finish your degree and start work you realise enjoying what you do is just as important as the money, dont choose something simply because it pays more as you may hate it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eassyhustla)
    not necessarily, get work experience in a hospital pharmacy and see if you like it, many people do. as you finish your degree and start work you realise enjoying what you do is just as important as the money, dont choose something simply because it pays more as you may hate it.

Amen to that! Too much emphasis on salary in this forum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tesh)
    I'm a second year student at Bradford. Starting salary in community pharmacy is £30k+. Boots offered my cousin £33k starting. If you locum, you're in a different ball park. You can get upto £25/hour so you'd be getting £50k plus just after completing your degree. As a locum you would have to source your own insurance and pension schemes. We earn more than medics for the first few years.

Dentist's really rake it in so I'm considering doing that post grad whilst locuming on weekends,.
    what is a locum?

ReputationRep:
    See the thread about locums

ReputationRep:
    How much would you say an average salary in hosp is after say 10 years? I just think I'd find it more interesting than community...

ReputationRep:
    After ten years you will be about E/F grade I should think. Have a look on the Guild of Hospital pharmacists website. Hospital pharmacy can be more interesting.....but working with other pharmacists as a basic grade pharmacists breeds *****iness. The D grades are the worst. Beware the D grades. They eat basic grade pharmacists for breakfast. Not basic anymore but not quite there yet.....

ReputationRep:
    My friends sister, graduated with a 1st in pharmacy from Kings college London with Masters. She had an internship/work experience with GSK I believe during the studies.

Low and beyond, as a graduate, her first job was paying 60k, I believe she was working at the Sainsburys Pharamacy (heck, that Sainsburys less than 5 min drive from me!). She also sometimes works part-time in some pharamacies for around £50 an hour, damn I thought this salary was non-existance :O!

So ye, have a passion, do further reading, get some experience, you can go along way :O!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ma2k5)
    My friends sister, graduated with a 1st in pharmacy from Kings college London with Masters. She had an internship/work experience with GSK I believe during the studies.

Low and beyond, as a graduate, her first job was paying 60k, I believe she was working at the Sainsburys Pharamacy (heck, that Sainsburys less than 5 min drive from me!). She also sometimes works part-time in some pharamacies for around £50 an hour, damn I thought this salary was non-existance :O!

So ye, have a passion, do further reading, get some experience, you can go along way :O!
    Sounds like the figures involved have been exagerated along the way. Typical starting figure for community pharmacists round manchester way is ~£35k. Even if its london you're talking about, that figure is way too high. As for locum rates, typical rate is more round £25/hour. I think it was pharmgirl who said rates can reached £50/hr max. for the big public holidays. Otherwise that figure also seems very inflated

ReputationRep:
    lol 50 pounds....yea rite!

ReputationRep:
    can i jus ask. are these salaries pre or post tax?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tabarak)
    can i jus ask. are these salaries pre or post tax?
    pre

ReputationRep:
    hey ive just been offered a pre-reg with boots in central london, but the salary is only £18 000. Does anyone know if they still need to add the london weighting into account?

anyone doing a pre-reg with Boots this year?

ReputationRep:
    i know someone who got offered a pre-reg placement with boots to start next year and they were offered 18k and they were out of london

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by disco)
    hey ive just been offered a pre-reg with boots in central london, but the salary is only £18 000. Does anyone know if they still need to add the london weighting into account?

anyone doing a pre-reg with Boots this year?
    that figure is without the london weighting! though you will probably end up spending that all on travel if you dont actually live in central!

ReputationRep:
    anyone know what the average salary is now

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 2, 2013

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.