Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Boots are offering ~£34k last I heard, will ask my pre-reg tutor tommorow

ReputationRep:
    What are the starting salaries now (2008)? What can I expect to get in a pre-reg position?

ReputationRep:
    I would like to know too.

is 34k straight after graduation?

ReputationRep:
    I heard hospital pharmacists start off with a lower salary. Does any1 know how much starting salary is roughly for a hospital pharmacist?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by member9876)
    I would like to know too.

is 34k straight after graduation?
    LoL do you really think you would get 34k when you're not qualified?

Hospital pre-reg is band 5 - it changes slightly from year to year. Currently it's £20,225. I think community is usually less but I head somebody say Sainsburys were offering £21k for pre-reg, not sure how true that is!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SupaStar*AmZi)
    I heard hospital pharmacists start off with a lower salary. Does any1 know how much starting salary is roughly for a hospital pharmacist?
    You start on band 6 when you're newly qualified, which is currently £24,103. It's more for newly qualified in community (over 30k a year usually)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Emmz-)

Hospital pre-reg is band 5 - it changes slightly from year to year. Currently it's £20,225. I think community is usually less but I head somebody say Sainsburys were offering £21k for pre-reg, not sure how true that is!
    I know but 34k after pre-reg seems high. Surely in that instance, there is a lot of potential for it to go up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Emmz-)

The Sainsburys thing is true, I read it yesterday. Here;s a link:

http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/aboutus/...=nav_secondary

Quote "In return for your hard work, you can look forward to all the support you need to become a qualified Pharmacist. As our scheme is run in conjunction with the National Pharmacy Association, it also includes both off-site training days and a mock exam. What’s more, you’ll get a starting salary of £21.5k and 22 days’ holiday."

ReputationRep:
    The pre-reg I was working with in my last job was on £19 and that was 2 years ago at Lloyds. I'm about to start a new job in hospital pharmacy before going to uni in a year or two and my salary will be over £15 with just an NVQ2 and no dispensing involved so some of the salaries listed here seem really low. Coincidentally the pre-reg went straight into locuming and made an absolute fortune by being cheeky and asking over the odds!

ReputationRep:
    are you talking about getting experience ? £15?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry I missed the k off the end of that. It should read £15k. I've been in community pharmacy for 18 months so decided to try a different side of pharmacy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i_want_a_penguin)
    The pre-reg I was working with in my last job was on £19 and that was 2 years ago at Lloyds. I'm about to start a new job in hospital pharmacy before going to uni in a year or two and my salary will be over £15 with just an NVQ2 and no dispensing involved so some of the salaries listed here seem really low. Coincidentally the pre-reg went straight into locuming and made an absolute fortune by being cheeky and asking over the odds!
    How much was he charging. anyone got a link for NHS bands?

ReputationRep:
    everyone on here seems centered on community pharmacy , any other people going for an industrial pharmacy career ? i ws wondering what the pay is like for a big company like GSK and how hard it is to get in

ReputationRep:
    As far as I'm aware, industrial pharmacy is quite diffcult to get into. Some pharmacy students at Nottingham were saying last year there were 6 pre-reg places in the whole country in industry and as most people spend the first few years at least in the same stream they started in, it's not particularly easy. Someone at another uni mentioned the pay for industrial pharmacists is less than in community but there are so many more oportunities once you're in to work your way up to 6 or 7 figure salaries. It just needs lots of work!

As for pay scales for hospital pharmacists, official for pre-reg is £14,189 and then it goes into pay bands. I believe pharmacists start in band 6 which is £24,103-£32,653. The director of pharmacy at a hospital local to me is in band 8 (which is split into 8A, 8B 8C and 8D) so his pay is anywhere between £37,106-£77,109. Final band is Band 9 and I'd imagine directors of pharmacy in charge of entire trusts would be in this band which is upto £93,038. There is then weighting for inner London, outer London and fringe London and extra for being on emergency call out.

ReputationRep:
    anyone know how long it takes to move bands?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by v8_HEMI)
    everyone on here seems centered on community pharmacy , any other people going for an industrial pharmacy career ? i ws wondering what the pay is like for a big company like GSK and how hard it is to get in
    i heard that GSK pay is really bad! like really really bad...about £18,000 for the first two years then it goes up to £20,000ish

doesnt sound too good after 4 years of hard work

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pdod222)
    i heard that GSK pay is really bad! like really really bad...about £18,000 for the first two years then it goes up to £20,000ish

doesnt sound too good after 4 years of hard work
    thats intially after you move up positions you will be earning a lot, i mean a lot!

ReputationRep:
    hey guys is is true if a uni is not fully acrredited they dont provide you with a pre reg year...

who pays the company for your salary for pre reg year

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i_want_a_penguin)
    As for pay scales for hospital pharmacists, official for pre-reg is £14,189 and then it goes into pay bands.
    No, hospital pre-reg is band 5, which is around 20K this year.

(Original post by JUSTME1)
    hey guys is is true if a uni is not fully acrredited they dont provide you with a pre reg year...

who pays the company for your salary for pre reg year

Thanks
    No university provides you with a pre-reg, you have to apply yourself.

The society give a certain amount to the company for each pre-reg (can't remember exactly what off the top of my head but it's in the Drug Tariff) and then it's upto the company what they pay the pre-reg. Remember, you will be working fulltime in your pre-reg (and studying as well!) so they have to pay you as a member of staff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ledleyking123)
    thats intially after you move up positions you will be earning a lot, i mean a lot!
    when you say a lot, what is a lot? £70-80k? and how long would it take to get paid that much? 5-6years?
    thanks

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 2, 2013

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.