Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pdod222)
    when you say a lot, what is a lot? £70-80k? and how long would it take to get paid that much? 5-6years?
    thanks
    yeah without doubt. Not sure how many years though, I have seen figures of 120k before even.

edit: check this out, latest info on pay for industry http://www.pjonline.com/files/rps-pj...CLES-670-1.pdf

Emmz how long does it take to move bands? I heard the problem with hospital is that whilst doing a diploma its hard word having to cope with full time work too and the pay reflects that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ledleyking123)

Emmz how long does it take to move bands? I heard the problem with hospital is that whilst doing a diploma its hard word having to cope with full time work too and the pay reflects that?
    I'm not too sure about anything other than from a 6 to a 7 ... but that usually takes at least 2 years because you have to do your diploma. If the hospital you're a 6 at has 7 spaces it's possible if you've already been qualified a couple of years they will move you up to a 7 whilst you're in the middle of your diploma to make room for new 6s.

Diploma is meant to be hardcore alongside working full time. The pay for a 6 isn't that bad really though when you consider the newly qualified in community are working more hours a week ... and once your on call pay starts it's a good sum you take home every month considering you're still getting training too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Emmz-)
    I'm not too sure about anything other than from a 6 to a 7 ... but that usually takes at least 2 years because you have to do your diploma. If the hospital you're a 6 at has 7 spaces it's possible if you've already been qualified a couple of years they will move you up to a 7 whilst you're in the middle of your diploma to make room for new 6s.

Diploma is meant to be hardcore alongside working full time. The pay for a 6 isn't that bad really though when you consider the newly qualified in community are working more hours a week ... and once your on call pay starts it's a good sum you take home every month considering you're still getting training too.
    Just checked pre reg pay in hospital is 20,000k. So you take home about 12k in the end right?

ReputationRep:
    Just checked pre reg pay in hospital is 20,000k. So you take home about 12k in the end right?
    yeah...bloody tax :'(

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pdod222)
    yeah...bloody tax :'(
    you would be earning even less in community as a pre reg then.

ReputationRep:
    I used to take home over a grand a month after tax, NI and student loan. It's loads when you're used to being a student!

ReputationRep:
    emmz don't you have to pay council tax and vat on top of that though?
    have you started your diploma then. How long you been qualified.

ReputationRep:
    Council tax doesn't get taken directly from your wages ... and VAT? The only tax you pay on your wage is income tax! And then your national insurance comes off too.

I've been qualified umm about 5 months - starting diploma in Jan.

ReputationRep:
    yeah so if you get a 1000 then you still take some of that off for council tax right which is what again haha?

So do you get offered to a diploma or do you wait for it. Also, is it done at a uni and is on call definetly necessary?

ReputationRep:
    yeah so if you get a 1000 then you still take some of that off for council tax right which is what again haha?

So do you get offered to a diploma or do you wait for it. Also, is it done at a uni and is on call definetly necessary?
    i think council tax only gets taken off if you own a property....say you are living with you're parents you dont have any tax

but im not too sure

ReputationRep:
    Guys - council tax doesn't come directly off your wage. You pay it separately like you pay an electricity bill or a phone bill etc. And how much it is depends on the area you live in and how much the property is worth ... and it's one payment for the whole property so if you do live with your parents then they are responsible for paying it if the house is owned/rented in their name.

You have to apply to the university to do a diploma and you have to make sure your employer will support your training and there is a pharmacist who can be your diploma tutor. Also, if the hospital is going to fund your diploma or you have to pay for it yourself. You do it with a uni but you don't attend as such as you're working fulltime!

I haven't seen many band 6 jobs that don't have oncall ... infact the only ones I have seen are where there is a residency team and they get a band 7 and the people who don't do the residency (and hence no on call) get band 6. Tbh honest though you'll probably be doing oncall up until you're a band 8a and then after that you'll probably be second on call for somebody so it'd look really bad if you'd never been on call as a junior pharmacist.

ReputationRep:
    which unis offer the diploma and how much tutiton fees is it for 2 years?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure off the top of my head ... Cardiff, Keele, Bath, Belfast, Derby ... London ones are a bit different now I think cause they last for 3 years ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Emmz-)
    I'm not sure off the top of my head ... Cardiff, Keele, Bath, Belfast, Derby ... London ones are a bit different now I think cause they last for 3 years ...
    does nottingham do it?

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing the diploma at the minute at manchester

Its great! - Off work every wednesday to go to uni, doing the bits of the course you do at unddergrad that are actually relevant and in more detail.

You understand the lectures/sessions much better too as its stuff you see every day at work.

I've got an exam for it this week then an OSCE next week.

All paid for by the NHS, i doubt i'd be a hospital pharmacist if the diploma wasn't on offer

ReputationRep:
    Aww I wish I got days off. The only day I get off work is to go present my case presentation

And pdod222 - I have no idea if Notts do it. Not heard of them doing it.

ReputationRep:
    If you're confident after registration, I would suggest community locum work. We pay our locums between £20-£25 an hour depending on what time of the day they work, plus travel costs. Not to mention the freedom to choose your hours. After 5 years study, I hope to locum and free up some time to focus on more important things in life.
    As it stands I feel I do all the legwork for the locums (I'm a dispenser), while they collect all the cash. I've even had locums mock me for this very fact!
    So, consider locum work. And be nice to your dispensers. =P

ReputationRep:
    this thread is making me wonder why I'm doing Pharmacy! I don't see how anyone can even live off some of the salaries here! Never mind pay off a £24,000 student loan (an estimate. roughly £3,000 fees and £3,000 accommodation a year)! And paying tax etc on top of that! And I planned on buying a car and moving into my own place as soon after I started earning some money! But I'm not sure I'll ever be able to afford to move out if I'm earning "a grand a month" as Emmz said she was! :s

ReputationRep:
    It'll be more than a grand a year when you do it and it goes a lot further than you think if you're careful. More than the average person your age will be getting paid. Plus - you're not even qualified! There's really nothing you can do without getting second checked for most of the year!

After that you can move onto your 35K a year community job ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emmerald)
    this thread is making me wonder why I'm doing Pharmacy! I don't see how anyone can even live off some of the salaries here! Never mind pay off a £24,000 student loan (an estimate. roughly £3,000 fees and £3,000 accommodation a year)! And paying tax etc on top of that! And I planned on buying a car and moving into my own place as soon after I started earning some money! But I'm not sure I'll ever be able to afford to move out if I'm earning "a grand a month" as Emmz said she was! :s
    It still pays way more than a lot of grad jobs who shell out just as much to get a degree. Yes, the MPharm is a year longer, but it is a Master degree in a growing industry. And this is your starting wage as a pre-reg. It's not a registered wage and it's going to go up with experience. You also don't have to be a pharmacist with your degree. There's big money to be had elsewhere with the Masters.

To be honest, the job is what you bring to it. Not the other way around. I know some happy pharmacists who get work satisfaction and are pleased with their wage, their freedom (locums), the variety. And I know some miserable pharmacists who don't get anything out of their jobs, don't take extra PCT courses to get more variety, and moan endlessly about the money etc.

You have to figure out if your passionate about the industry, how far you want to take it (because the potential is immense), and what you think YOU'RE worth.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 2, 2013

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.