Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    guild hospital pharmacists application was rejected, any hospital pharmacists clarify what this is and what it means for the future.

ReputationRep:
    This http://www.ghp.org.uk/GPYUDN/YKCYZN may be of help to you.

ReputationRep:
    Just had a read, I understand the basics but what recommendations were made, was it to simply increase the wage packet for hospital pharmacists?

ReputationRep:
    I think they wanted to increase the starting wage for hopsital pharmacists because it's a considerable amount less than in community and that's probably why there are so many band 6 jobs not filled. To be fair, only going up about 4/5k a year from when you were a pre-reg is rubbish when you consider how much more responsibility you have!

ReputationRep:
    true, I did notice a lot of understaffing on my placement. Is it 20,000 for pre-reg in hospital and 26,000 for band 6 at present?

What will happen now then with that rejection

ReputationRep:
    £20,710 for pre reg and £24,831 for band 6 starting salary at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    That is pretty poor tbh, it takes ageees to move up aswell!

ReputationRep:
    Most band 6s will do oncall though so that tops it up.

What do you define as ages?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Emmz-)
    £20,710 for pre reg and £24,831 for band 6 starting salary at the moment.
    That is poor pay for a qualified Pharmacist. I guess it will be better to work in Community.

I start my Pharmacy degree in September and this thread has got me worried.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm...I'm looking at hospital figures as a 'mature' student. The figures aren't great although admittedly within 5 years or so you'll be earning more than the national average salary so maybe I'm just being naive. Also I suppose it should be more to do with the love for the job rather than the money. I dunno I've just found out I got an offer for pharmacy through UCAS extra on the back of a failed medicine (the dark side!) application. I had to turn down an earlier pharmacy offer I got because of the ELQ and the prospect of paying £13k a year tuition fees. Decisions, decisions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by peace800)
    That is poor pay for a qualified Pharmacist. I guess it will be better to work in Community.

I start my Pharmacy degree in September and this thread has got me worried.
    Why are you worried? It's more than enough to live on. Plus in five years when you qualify it won't be the same it will have increased in line with everything else.

You'll also get an extra £230 a month or so for on call. You'll be working less hours than in community (my friend works something silly like close to 50 hours a week - I do 37.5!) and when you do work extra i.e. weekends you'll get paid for those on top your normal wage too.

At the end of the day you're not going to be on the poverty line working in hospital so it would be silly to chose community only for the pay.

ReputationRep:
    Emmz how many holidays per year do you get, furthermore how come there are so many different points within each band?>

ReputationRep:
    I think it's 27 days plus all bank holidays - any bank holiday we work we get the time back we worked. After so many years it goes up to more days.

Every year you have to have PDR (personal development review) to see if you are meeting all the requirements and then you go up the payscale on your band. If you think, some people in the NHS will stay on the same band for a long time but will obviously be more experienced and doing more than someone who starts on that band.

ReputationRep:
    Looking at this thread has made me a bit iffy about pharmacy i was considering taking it at uni but the jobs that come out of it don't seem so appealing! Its quite shocking that community pharmacists get paid a whole lot more than hospital pharmacists, seeing as it looks like they do so much less! i'd rather do hospital pharmacy over community as well! I really need someone to clarify all this salary talk cos it has honestly got me quite worried :'(

ReputationRep:
    But according to prospects.ac.uk, hospital pharmacists can go on to earn £70k. I don't know how realistic that is but I get the impression that although hospital pharmacists start of lower they may after some years overtake their community colleages. Either way you're probably not going to be on the same earning potential as high flying city lawyers and investment bankers but I think pharmacy gives you a good living all the same. Whether you'll enjoy the job, that's a whole different conversation...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Hireee*)
    Looking at this thread has made me a bit iffy about pharmacy i was considering taking it at uni but the jobs that come out of it don't seem so appealing! Its quite shocking that community pharmacists get paid a whole lot more than hospital pharmacists, seeing as it looks like they do so much less! i'd rather do hospital pharmacy over community as well! I really need someone to clarify all this salary talk cos it has honestly got me quite worried :'(
    Lol you don't start on £24k and stay there! About 4-5 years after you qualify it's possible to be up to a band 8a ... in 3 years even!

In community you go in higher but your salary won't increase as much.

Plus hospital is so much more interesting! Well in my opinion ...

ReputationRep:
    8a is 50k is it emmz?, but there is such a shortage these days.

What is pay for hospital locums these day?

ReputationRep:
    Between £37, 996 and £45, 596 according to this (as of April 2009).

http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/details...lt.aspx?Id=766

ReputationRep:
    tbh you can earen 50k as a manager in community no?. Hospitals are struggling to get pharmacists in, surely they should increase the wage system!

ReputationRep:
    You guys are all about the money! What about career satisfaction?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 2, 2013

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.