Why do you think that Leicester University doesn't offer a degree in Philosophy?

Watch
Picnic1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Why do you think that Leicester University don't offer Philosophy as a degree whilst most other major universities do? I have a theory but tell me what you think first.
orca92
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
They prefer to put their money into other courses rather than philosophy; is that an ok reason; or does it have to be why philosophy isnt offered and not history or geography etc? If its the latter then im stumped
Phugoid
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Because they have not been able to secure the services of a team of philosophy academics who could produce and deliver the degree course?
Picnic1
Rep:
?
To be honest I never thought of that last reason. I thought that it might be partly due to philosophy being synonomous with the older, perhaps traditionally elitist, universities (even though the 60s universities later took on the subject) and Leicester perhaps likes to have a lean towards being scientific and research based - the only research in philosophy being what other people think about age old things. Although I like philosophy (up to an extent) I kind of respect Leicester for following their own path.
Phugoid
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Picnic1)
To be honest I never thought of that last reason. I thought that it might be partly due to philosophy being synonomous with the older, perhaps traditionally elitist, universities (even though the 60s universities later took on the subject) and Leicester perhaps likes to have a lean towards being scientific and research based - the only research in philosophy being what other people think about age old things. Although I like philosophy (up to an extent) I kind of respect Leicester for following their own path.
I believe that your opinion is grown out of a false belief that philosophy is somehow unscientific, or not rigorous.

Most of the greatest philosophers have also been the greatest mathematicians, physicists, and general scientists, and that is no coincidence.

It is my opinion, in fact, that a university which has a philosophy department has ADDED to it's reputation as a rational, logical, and rigourous academic institution, not subtracted.

Philosophy is actually quite a modern discipline in that philosophy, as it is practiced now, is greatly developed from the philosophy of centuries past. It's quite a common subject in universities of all ages and calibres.
Picnic1
Rep:
?
Phugold, I appreciate what you say- I studied the first year of Philosophy at another university. I know how crucial 'the original subject' is to the creation of other subjects that have sprouted from it. It is certainly strongly linked to mathematics.

What I'm trying to say is that, when Leicester was founded, they knew that older universities had philosophy covered. I found it interesting that Leicester allows its subjects to stand in their own right without feeling the need to compare them to or combine them with the original subject. Any Leicester student who wants to adopt an especially philosophical approach would have to seek that themselves. And I think that individual approach would be welcomed at Leicester as well.

Or maybe I am giving Leicester too much credit for trying to create a particular character of university for themselves (as it seems, did Loughborough - maybe it's partly an East Midlands thing.)
*MJ*
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Lots of uni's don't offer certain courses.

Funding is sometimes a problem but Leicester is an excellent university so they wouldn't really have a problem with that so more the academic department not being able to obtain teaching staff, i'd guess.

SpamBa
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Doesn't mean it's a bad uni, Bath doesn't offer philosophy either.
Picnic1
Rep:
?
And, unlike Leicester, some other top universities don't offer Law or Medicine.
RedRevolver
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by SpamBa)
Doesn't mean it's a bad uni, Bath doesn't offer philosophy either.
Or History :eek:
Obnoxiously123
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Leicester University does not offer Philosophy as a degree, probably because, as an educational institution, it had forgotten long ago that philosophy is a living, breathing thing of verve & energy, and not some old fossil of a dusty old subject as taught by old fossils to the semi-inebriated average student stock of an unusually innocuous iconoclastic opinion.
alexp98
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Demand and supply I guess. Or like others have said, they prefer injecting their money in the more popular courses
Kingdomman
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm pretty sure I know why, or at least I know why the BA Philisophy degree was discontinued. In the early 80s the government of Margaret Thatcher created the University Grants Commission (UGC) which was tasked with deciding whether certain courses at certain universities should not be awarded public funds. The Commission was strongly biased towards Science and technology courses - although the government denied this at the time. Their mission was simple; to look at each university in turn and encourage the development of subject areas perceived to be strengths while withdrawing funding for areas where other institutions in the region did better, thereby creating centres of excellence. The undergraduate courses in Music and in Philosophy at Leicester were earmarked for withdrawal of public funds and consequently were discontinued when the last undergraduates had graduated. That was a long time ago now and I have written to the university several times encouraging them to think again about reopening these departments. It seems to me a tremendous deficiency in an otherwise good university that it does not offer undergraduate degrees in Philosophy and in Music. E.H.M.(BA Music, Leic.,1983)
JTB63
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The University had a Philosophy Dept until 1989 when it was closed! When Kenneth Baker then secretary of State for Education visited there was a demo Where he was hit on the head by the Labour Party Banner . We were described in the press as "Learned Louts"
Michael1957
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I read Philosophy at Leicester from 1978 to ‘81. The course ceased a couple of years later. That makes me sad. I suspect that the university was responding to Margaret Thatcher’s philistinism and her belief in the commodification of education. It should be goal orientated rather than an end in itself. The trajectory that she started is still followed.
giella
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I’m guessing because the course didn’t make money and they closed it and they’ve yet to see a business case for re-establishing the department.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think mandatory Relationships and Sex Education in secondary schools is a good idea?

Yes (367)
84.17%
No (69)
15.83%

Watched Threads