The Student Room Group

Hamster's death

I know you guys aren't vets but something has been bugging me all morning so I wanted to hear your opinion on it.

When I woke up last night to get a drink, I noticed that my hamster died (had him for about 2 years now, typical Syrian hamster death-age).

I knew he was going to die soon because he was less active than when he was younger. When I cleaned his cage 3 days ago, I put him in his little ball and he didn't run around my house for that long (maybe 10-15 mins).

But I didn't expect him to die like..THIS soon. I mean he was completely fine yesterday and he doesn't have any illness that I know of.

The part that bugs me the most is that his eyes are open. Now I've never experienced a hamster dying on me before but aren't they supposed to have their eyes closed when they die if it was from old age? Mine is just laying on its side with it eyes opened. o_o

There's no kids in my family and my mom said when she fed it, it was drinking water from its bottle like normal. =\

Seems a little weird to me, what do you guys think?
he died when he was awake, my first hamster tinkerbell had her eyes open, she was moving from one place to another

hamsters are prone to sudden death syndrome, their hearts can just stop

maybe your little guy was awake and about to get up, sorry for your loss R.I.P
i've had three hamsters and all of them got slow and raggy and then just died. i think that's pretty normal. sorry to hear about it though, i like hamsters, they're cute
It's plausible for them to die with their eyes open.
Reply 4
It's normal.
He probably died while he was awake, I'm sure it's nothing to worry about too much. Sounds like he had a nice life :console:
This happened to me yesterday, my hamster was two and a half years old and had no illness it would not run it’s ball but was fine the night before, it must of knew it was going to die or something because he switched where he slept the day before
Reply 7
I am really sorry for your loss :frown:
this tragic event took place in 2010... let's move on.
Original post by the bear
this tragic event took place in 2010... let's move on.

#HamsterLivesMatter
Original post by Francessca Heyes
This happened to me yesterday, my hamster was two and a half years old and had no illness it would not run it’s ball but was fine the night before, it must of knew it was going to die or something because he switched where he slept the day before

:frown: I am sorry for your loss.
My winter dwarf hamster just died today it would let me pick it up and it wouldn’t move it stayed in one spot with its eyes open and I live here in L.A. so it’s pretty hot I’ve only had it for a few weeks but suddenly it stopped breathing it was usually super feisty it would bite you when you tried to touch it and would try to get out of the cage it would be super playfull as well but a few days before it dies it would sleep in different places so I wasn’t sure I think it died because of heat any suggestions
Original post by Zastrugi
It's normal.

Your **** is normal 😩😩

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending